Why no love for Nigel Dawes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Dawes has average a point per game this so far, yet no one has said anything about his play, even after him making a name for himself last year. I know that Canada has better scorers, but Dawes has done a great job from what I've read. Why no love for him? :dunno: :help:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
He's been really quiet and average so far. Sure, he's averaging a point a game, but that's nothing amazing considering all the goals Canada is scoring. Dawes is picking up really quiet points, I can't say I've really noticed him at all.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
He's actually had a pretty poor tournament. (compared to a lot of the other Canadian forwards anyway) He's been rather quiet and I haven't been very impressed by his puck control skills. (He's made a number of a botched plays on power plays)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
willie said:
He's actually had a pretty poor tournament. (compared to a lot of the other Canadian forwards anyway) He's been rather quiet and I haven't been very impressed by his puck control skills. (He's made a number of a botched plays on power plays)

I think another reason no one is mentioning Dawes this year in a positive light is because he lead Canada and the tournament in scoring last year. I think everyone had higher expectations for him this year then what he's been able to provide.

CH Wizard

It's not a big exploit while playing for a team like Canada.This team is filled by goal scorer.Almost everyone has contribued to the offence.A few guys like Ladd , Stewart are struggling beside that there's no big deceivement for other canadian player.Crosby and Bergeron are awesome BTW !

It would be harder to average a point per game while playing for Belarus.

That's why Kostitsyn is special.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:
I think another reason no one is mentioning Dawes this year in a positive light is because he lead Canada and the tournament in scoring last year. I think everyone had higher expectations for him this year then what he's been able to provide.
I have only been able to watch the Americans play, so I was seeing why there hasn't been much noise about him. Is his role different from last year? I ask this because of all the emerging stars team Canada has, and I'm wondering if he has fallen behind on the depth chart, and therefore, making his role different.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I was surprised because he is not scoring but i saw that he is better in the defensive zone then he was last year and that he seems to hit alot more and looks stronger to even if he's not tall.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Did anyone see the hilarious "interview" that Phaneuf did with Dawes on Sportsnet? As part of it, Dawes says that his play really sucks because, after all, he is not leading the team in points. That is about the same reaction as on this board.

Actually, I think that his overall play has been pretty solid, and agree with the poster above that his game has matured a bit over the past year with distinct improvement in the defensive aspects. To say others are playing "10X" better is a joke.

Mountain Dude

A point a game is a dissapointment in this tournament for a guy like Dawes, we've outscored our opponents 32-5, he should have at least 2 points a game.

It could be that he just doesn't get as many chances in Sutters type of game.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Broadway Crosby said:
I have only been able to watch the Americans play, so I was seeing why there hasn't been much noise about him. Is his role different from last year? I ask this because of all the emerging stars team Canada has, and I'm wondering if he has fallen behind on the depth chart, and therefore, making his role different.

Well, he's played on the second line for the entire tournament, a line that was originally slated to be Canada's second scoring unit. Playing on a line with Stewart and Richards, this line was supposed to be producing at a much higher clip then they currently are.

Both Dawes and Stewart struggled out of the gate, which leads me to believe that Canada's third line, comprised of Carter-Getzlaf-Ladd, actually became Canada's second scoring unit.

I cannot compare icetimes for Dawes, considering I have neither his stat for last season, nor this one, however I would believe it is somewhat similar. Both this year and last he was working the powerplay as well.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Andrei Kostitsyn said:
It would be harder to average a point per game while playing for Belarus.

That's why Kostitsyn is special.

On the other hand, Kostitsyn plays a lot more than any of the canadian forward. He is probably reaching the 30 minutes per game, giving that he is playing in all situations. This certainly help him get his points.

I'm not saying that he sucks or that his stats are inflated or anything. Its just that I'm not sure if he would be that better if he was playing on a stacked team, where he couldn't always be the goto guy.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:
Well, he's played on the second line for the entire tournament, a line that was originally slated to be Canada's second scoring unit. Playing on a line with Stewart and Richards, this line was supposed to be producing at a much higher clip then they currently are.

Both Dawes and Stewart struggled out of the gate, which leads me to believe that Canada's third line, comprised of Carter-Getzlaf-Ladd, actually became Canada's second scoring unit.

I cannot compare icetimes for Dawes, considering I have neither his stat for last season, nor this one, however I would believe it is somewhat similar. Both this year and last he was working the powerplay as well.
So his role has been reduced a bit? It's nice to here that he is improving on the defensive end, but I also want him to score.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Broadway Crosby said:
So his role has been reduced a bit? It's nice to here that he is improving on the defensive end, but I also want him to score.

I'd say his role has decreased somewhat, based on the fact he hasn't/hadn't been able to score. Canada has a much more rounded offense then last year, so he hasn't been heavily relied upon to produce, although I'm sure it was expected by Sutter heading into the tournament that he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->