Why isn't the OHL more popular?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I think the league in general dose have popularity no matter what OHL city your from, the big thing is not so much what markets are popular around the league but more can your own hometown market sell itself to the audiences that meet the criteria of these of very simple questions.
Dose your team sell out the build at least 3/4 of your home schedule?

Dose your team bring competitive clubs each season?

Dose your team make the playoffs on a regular 3 year cycle type game plan with the expectations that in the 3rd year you try and what hockey guru's say "Go for it" in regards to deep and hopefully successful post-season runs?

If so then I'd say expectations are paying a range from 18-24 dollars is pretty reasonable for the entertainment from anywhere from a handful of games to a full season ticket package.

I regards to concession prices I tend to agree the prices have steadily went up in the past 2-3 seasons when even back in 2011 you could get a slice of pizza and a drink for around $7 and now it's about $9 and change now but the selection at the stands has been improved with different little changes like bottles pop instead of fountain and adding gravy for fries.

Although we may question that prices are raised a bit more if any OS fan was to go to any other city in the league I'd find it hard to believe that there concessions haven't raised prices on commonly sold items in the past few years either.

The Attack will always remain a puzzle to the rest of the league due to the layout (NOT ICE SIZE) of the older building in Owen Sound and has been in debate forever in the league.

In this case Owen Sound will continue to thrive in the league due to local popular demand and national events like national TV coverage by Sportsnet and the CHL puts on.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not sure why but I find games to be more vanilla lately. Not sure if it's just the Rangers or the league as a whole. There use to be a hate developed between franchises and players but that seems to be a thing of then past. Most opposing players seem to know each other and many times they are out there chatting and smiling. As an example we all say we "hate" the Knights but when they are not the top team with no hope of defeating them it just isn't the same as what we are use to. The players that play with an edge and pester other teams barely exist. We all use to know who they were and hated them on other teams but would of love to have them on the squad we cheer for. Basically I think the league has made up so many rules now that result in penalties or suspensions the players are all out there tip toeing around like they are walking on broken glass afraid of being the sacrificial goat. Watching the Russian/Canada/OHL game the Russians seem to bang the Canadians on every turn. Some of those hits are called in the OHL. When someone uses the term " barn burner" now in the press it's really only because a barn burned down. Maybe it's just me in my old age but the game seems to have changed. It's not as entertaining as it use to be.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
I agree with many that the overall cost (parking, concession, tickets and surcharges) is significant to some, and the atmosphere in the arenas with the canned annoying high level noise plus everything is commercialized to gain revenue, "this fart is brought to by gas release, makes some noise."

Also agree that the rule changes haven't helped.

Bobber really has hit upon a key issue, there is no real rivalry in the OHL any more. None. The heated Osh/Pete has long vanished, When Belleville was in the league the long standing rivalry with Kingston also disappeared . There is no animosity anymore, play the game try not to be too physical or you'll be in the box for a check that was too hard (saw one last night vs the Petes). Lets face it the games are sometime down right boring, when fans scream for a free pizza slice instead of what is going on on the ice something is wrong.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
"The game: The game has changed a lot in the past few years. While many will agree it was needed in order to help to cut down on avoidable brain injuries, it's also taken a lot of the intensity and rivalry out of the games. They all seem very vanilla. Not exactly something that makes me want to get down to the rink. You used to be able to feel the excitement and the tension. It's very rarely like that anymore and I think that hurts too. It also doesn't help that the demographic for whom the game changed, seem very content to just stay at home and not pay for the game anyway. That's tough."

--- I agree with this, too. We've got from physical, in-your-face hockey to "don't touch him" hockey and it's frustrating at times. I don't mind going from unlimited fights to 10-fights a season. So be it. After they went to three fights, though, it seems like players peel off instead of hitting or push, shove, and skate away. The emotion has been taken out of it. We've commented at the Spits games that "(insert player) actually hit someone!" I made the comment during the last game that "we haven't seen a single fight this year." A few min later, Logan Brown "fights" (sort of), but that's the extent it's been. I have no issues with getting rid of the staged fighting but it seems like we've gone from old school hockey to barely willing to make contact. That's not good.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
"The game: The game has changed a lot in the past few years. While many will agree it was needed in order to help to cut down on avoidable brain injuries, it's also taken a lot of the intensity and rivalry out of the games. They all seem very vanilla. Not exactly something that makes me want to get down to the rink. You used to be able to feel the excitement and the tension. It's very rarely like that anymore and I think that hurts too. It also doesn't help that the demographic for whom the game changed, seem very content to just stay at home and not pay for the game anyway. That's tough."

--- I agree with this, too. We've got from physical, in-your-face hockey to "don't touch him" hockey and it's frustrating at times. I don't mind going from unlimited fights to 10-fights a season. So be it. After they went to three fights, though, it seems like players peel off instead of hitting or push, shove, and skate away. The emotion has been taken out of it. We've commented at the Spits games that "(insert player) actually hit someone!"

I made the comment during the last game that "we haven't seen a single fight this year." A few min later, Logan Brown "fights" (sort of), but that's the extent it's been. I have no issues with getting rid of the staged fighting but it seems like we've gone from old school hockey to barely willing to make contact. That's not good.
I just feel that the league has taken the fans out of the game. All we do is hope the ref calls another penalty. There is not much emotion in the stands. Good thing a Spits fans brought his horn and got up a few times to cheer on the Spits. He gave a few Ranger fans a chuckle or two in what was really a boring affair.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While goals are a big part of the enjoyment of hockey, a good hit or fight has rarely had someone go "I don't like this." They get the fans excited. We've commented a few times this season at Spits games that it's felt like a library. That's not on the team by any stretch (and I don't want that comment to be taken like that). It's more about how the rules have changed so much. You get a few good hits and/or fights and there's no question that fans get more into it.

Reactions: OSA

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
While goals are a big part of the enjoyment of hockey, a good hit or fight has rarely had someone go "I don't like this." They get the fans excited. We've commented a few times this season at Spits games that it's felt like a library. That's not on the team by any stretch (and I don't want that comment to be taken like that). It's more about how the rules have changed so much. You get a few good hits and/or fights and there's no question that fans get more into it.
I agree. I remember before the fast face off rule years ago the opposing players always took their time going and coming to the dot and just delaying the game. Its a simple thing really but it got the fans riled up at the opposing team. Fans seem more interested in getting out of the parking lot early now even if it's a one goal game.

Hockeyfan1234

Aug 31, 2016
Don't agree on the fight for entertainment old time hockey hockey argument. I never go a game hoping there will be a fight. Hate the staged fights but don't mind when one happens because of someone bumped into a goalie, or there was a dirty hit, etc.

Hate when Ref's don't call penalties as all the slashing, holding, etc. just slows the game down and erases skill from the game. Nothing worse then going to watch New Jersey style hockey - and yes love to see big body-checks but the concussion thing has erased most of them! But if Refs let the game go the skill players quickly get erased by players who are struggling to stay in the league.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Is there a way intensity could be increased? Would teams be more competitive if we didn't just let 80% of the teams into the playoffs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the league in general dose have popularity no matter what OHL city your from, the big thing is not so much what markets are popular around the league but more can your own hometown market sell itself to the audiences that meet the criteria of these of very simple questions.
Dose your team sell out the build at least 3/4 of your home schedule?

Dose your team bring competitive clubs each season?

Dose your team make the playoffs on a regular 3 year cycle type game plan with the expectations that in the 3rd year you try and what hockey guru's say "Go for it" in regards to deep and hopefully successful post-season runs?

If so then I'd say expectations are paying a range from 18-24 dollars is pretty reasonable for the entertainment from anywhere from a handful of games to a full season ticket package.

I regards to concession prices I tend to agree the prices have steadily went up in the past 2-3 seasons when even back in 2011 you could get a slice of pizza and a drink for around $7 and now it's about $9 and change now but the selection at the stands has been improved with different little changes like bottles pop instead of fountain and adding gravy for fries.

Although we may question that prices are raised a bit more if any OS fan was to go to any other city in the league I'd find it hard to believe that there concessions haven't raised prices on commonly sold items in the past few years either.

The Attack will always remain a puzzle to the rest of the league due to the layout (NOT ICE SIZE) of the older building in Owen Sound and has been in debate forever in the league.

In this case Owen Sound will continue to thrive in the league due to local popular demand and national events like national TV coverage by Sportsnet and the CHL puts on.

Wow. You can get a slice of pizza AND a pop for $9? I may be wrong but in Ottawa I think it is close to $7 for the pizza slice and about $5 for the pop.

I think it is time the OHL went the same route as MLB. The MLB mandated the teams allow fans bring their own snacks and beverages. You just cannot bring in booze.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Wow. You can get a slice of pizza AND a pop for $9? I may be wrong but in Ottawa I think it is close to $7 for the pizza slice and about $5 for the pop.

I think it is time the OHL went the same route as MLB. The MLB mandated the teams allow fans bring their own snacks and beverages. You just cannot bring in booze.

I think a lot has to do with selection for fans as well. I don't know how many rinks offer craft beer but if you drink at hockey games a lot of people are tired of the swill eg. Coors/Bud/Budweiser/Blue/Canadian. Due to contracts arena has with providers you probably don't see a lot of craft beer. People aren't willing to pay 9-10 dollars for a Coors when they can pay 5 for a better craft beer and watch the game on tv.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I think a lot has to do with selection for fans as well. I don't know how many rinks offer craft beer but if you drink at hockey games a lot of people are tired of the swill eg. Coors/Bud/Budweiser/Blue/Canadian. Due to contracts arena has with providers you probably don't see a lot of craft beer. People aren't willing to pay 9-10 dollars for a Coors when they can pay 5 for a better craft beer and watch the game on tv.
I didn't ever buy beer at the games for this reason. The past two seasons, the Petes/PMC have offered Publican House and Smithavens and now I'll grab one every game... and sometimes a second.

In terms of other things mentioned here, I think the games are more exciting than ever. You need skill and skating to win, so if teams draft for that instead of the traditional size/toughness/grit etc... it should be a faster pace, more exciting brand of hockey.

Petes attendance is up 34% vs. last year so far.

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
And for Peterborough, Kingston, and even the Ottawa 67s, things are going to get worse with the arrival of the AHL in that territory with the Belleville Sens... considering prices will be comparable to current OHL prices for players that are just one level below the NHL.. same problem is happening in the Q in areas near Laval.

This will have zero affect on Peterborough. No one is driving an hour plus for AHL hockey.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
How many OHL cities actually make you pay for parking? I've been to several cities and never had to pay other than Ottawa (I found a side street and walked 10 minutes).

Asking us to buy tickets and then pay to pay to park on top of that is absolutely asinine. I can see why teams that show no respect for their fans would have trouble drawing.

Reactions: rangersblues

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
How many OHL cities actually make you pay for parking? I've been to several cities and never had to pay other than Ottawa (I found a side street and walked 10 minutes).

Asking us to buy tickets and then pay to pay to park on top of that is absolutely asinine. I can see why teams that show no respect for their fans would have trouble drawing.

I’ve been all around (although it’s been awhile for some) and the places where I’ve had to pay for parking include: Saginaw, Flint, London, usually Guelph, Erie, Niagara, Hamilton, Sudbury, Ottawa, Kingston and Oshawa. I know you don’t have to pay in Owen Sound, Mississauga and Barrie. The others may have changed, not sure.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
The thing is, if the games were as physical and intense as they were >10 years ago, I’d be more than willing to pay the increased ticket prices, parking etc.

Unfortunately, I think a great deal of aggressiveness has been excised from the OHL game because of overreactions to the Don Sanderson and Ben Fannelli incidents.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I’ve been all around (although it’s been awhile for some) and the places where I’ve had to pay for parking include: Saginaw, Flint, London, usually Guelph, Erie, Niagara, Hamilton, Sudbury, Ottawa, Kingston and Oshawa. I know you don’t have to pay in Owen Sound, Mississauga and Barrie. The others may have changed, not sure.

Mississauga surprises me, but I commend the team for respecting their fans that much. The Soo and Peterborough (as of 5 years ago) are also free and Sudbury has a lot of parking spots close to the stadium.

road warrior

May 25, 2014
Mississauga surprises me, but I commend the team for respecting their fans that much. The Soo and Peterborough (as of 5 years ago) are also free and Sudbury has a lot of parking spots close to the stadium.

Peterborough parking is $4.00
I was pleasantly surprised that the game day programs were free though.
Trying to get out of the Pete's lot was a total clusterf__k - even worse than the Aud in Kitchener, despite the much smaller rink/ crowd.

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Parking in Sarnia is free.

Former Fan

Dec 1, 2017
I live in Sault Ste Marie and was a Season Ticket holder for more than 30 years. I gave up my season tickets because I became tired of the league and team taking me for granted. I will give you my problems with the league at this time which were the major contributors but the team is not without its problems as well but it all adds up. The Greyhounds have had an easier schedule than other teams for a number of years. The league's unbalanced schedule causes this and teams take advantage of it at the expense of the quality of product the fan see for their dollar. I became tired of seeing poor teams of Sudbury Saginaw Flint and even North Bay on a more than regular basis. The league contributes to this with their destroying of the draft system by allowing players to dictate where they will play. If you want to play in the league you are entered in the draft, if you don't want to go in the draft you revoke your right to play in the league. Put stricter controls on the trading of draft picks the draft process should give each team an equal shot at talent. It easy to trade 2nd round picks for their good players if the players you target won't play there and the team trading the 2nd rounders can pluck them in later rounds. The London Knights have been a league draw for the past number of years because of the talent they recruit and how the system is allowed to work. What irks me is when the team is allowed to come to the Soo for the last number of years. They come twice, one traditionally the last game of the season which London feels it is important to rest their stars for the playoffs. The other being the first weekend of the season when the star players are at NHL camps. It is easy to figure out which players the ticket paying fans of Sault Ste. Marie won't see. The other team on the first weekend this year to visit the Soo was Oshawa for their only visit. Any players at NHL camps on Oshawa will not be seen by Sault Ste. Marie Season Ticket holders. If a team visits Sault Ste Marie from the East Division during the World Juniors and they have star players in the tournament, a season ticket holder is out of luck to see theses players this season. This year the Soo could be short 3 of their best players but the season ticket holder still pays for his ticket. Feel sorry for London on a regular basis. Start the season two weeks later and shut it down when the players are gone to the world juniors. Put your best product on the ice for the people who buy tickets.
Officiating in the league is so inconsistent, not just game to game but period to period. I hate leaving a game that what I remember the most is the referee. If you are not going to use the goal judge get rid of them. It is brutal to have delays in the game for checks of goals and offside by who knows who with very few camera angles. I am sure that with a little more thought I could go on.
Like I said at the start the team itself in Sault Ste. Marie has a number of things that should be looked into. They won't though just take their fans for granted and blame the erosion of their season ticket base on a poor economy instead of the product they want the fans to pay for.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Hounds fan complaining about the team in the midst of a 13 game win streak. I don't even know what to say.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Umm, Hounds fan makes a lot of sense 13 game win streak or not.

Oh, and during that win streak, the Soo played Flint x2, Sudbury x3, and North Bay x2. That's 7 games vs very inferior teams. Sort of makes that streak a little artificial. Sure they played some good teams too but without looking, I bet you'd be hard pressed to see if any of the other top teams in the league played that many games vs comparable inferior teams during their last 13 games.

Hey, don't get me wrong. The Soo is a good team. My Rangers found that our last weekend. But the guy has a point.

Years ago the powers that be in Kitchener contemplated a move to the eastern conference in an effort to have an easier time in a weaker conference. Some fans were in favour but many fans were up in arms. They didn't want to lose the extra games vs our tough rivals like London, Erie, Owen Sound, Plymouth, Guelph, etc. and I was one of them.

Sure a team like London has the luxury of being a team most want to play for, and will only play for. But the benefit of that is that since they're in our division, we get to see them multiple times a year. We've seen lots of Marner, Domi, Perry, Schremp, etc etc.

I value that as a fan more than having teams roll into town on a regular basis with few if any big stars in the lineup.

And he has a real good point with the OHL scheduling out of conference games in the 1st week of the season or during WJC time. I've railed about that on here in the past. Every year there is at least one if not more of these games scheduled. For instance, the league has Kingston, Barrie, and Missy visiting the Aud in Kitchener during the time when WJC camps open til after the gold medal game. So we won't get to see live anyone involved in the WJC from these teams.

That's a great post Former Fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->