Why isn't the OHL more popular?

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Oct 20, 2017.

1. AttackSound

AttackSound Registered User

I think the league in general dose have popularity no matter what OHL city your from, the big thing is not so much what markets are popular around the league but more can your own hometown market sell itself to the audiences that meet the criteria of these of very simple questions.
    Dose your team sell out the build at least 3/4 of your home schedule?

Dose your team bring competitive clubs each season?

Dose your team make the playoffs on a regular 3 year cycle type game plan with the expectations that in the 3rd year you try and what hockey guru's say "Go for it" in regards to deep and hopefully successful post-season runs?

If so then I'd say expectations are paying a range from 18-24 dollars is pretty reasonable for the entertainment from anywhere from a handful of games to a full season ticket package.

I regards to concession prices I tend to agree the prices have steadily went up in the past 2-3 seasons when even back in 2011 you could get a slice of pizza and a drink for around $7 and now it's about $9 and change now but the selection at the stands has been improved with different little changes like bottles pop instead of fountain and adding gravy for fries.

Although we may question that prices are raised a bit more if any OS fan was to go to any other city in the league I'd find it hard to believe that there concessions haven't raised prices on commonly sold items in the past few years either.

The Attack will always remain a puzzle to the rest of the league due to the layout (NOT ICE SIZE) of the older building in Owen Sound and has been in debate forever in the league.

In this case Owen Sound will continue to thrive in the league due to local popular demand and national events like national TV coverage by Sportsnet and the CHL puts on.

2. bobber

bobber Registered User

Not sure why but I find games to be more vanilla lately. Not sure if it's just the Rangers or the league as a whole. There use to be a hate developed between franchises and players but that seems to be a thing of then past. Most opposing players seem to know each other and many times they are out there chatting and smiling. As an example we all say we "hate" the Knights but when they are not the top team with no hope of defeating them it just isn't the same as what we are use to. The players that play with an edge and pester other teams barely exist. We all use to know who they were and hated them on other teams but would of love to have them on the squad we cheer for. Basically I think the league has made up so many rules now that result in penalties or suspensions the players are all out there tip toeing around like they are walking on broken glass afraid of being the sacrificial goat. Watching the Russian/Canada/OHL game the Russians seem to bang the Canadians on every turn. Some of those hits are called in the OHL. When someone uses the term " barn burner" now in the press it's really only because a barn burned down. Maybe it's just me in my old age but the game seems to have changed. It's not as entertaining as it use to be.

3. MisterDB

MisterDB Registered User

I agree with many that the overall cost (parking, concession, tickets and surcharges) is significant to some, and the atmosphere in the arenas with the canned annoying high level noise plus everything is commercialized to gain revenue, "this fart is brought to by gas release, makes some noise."

Also agree that the rule changes haven't helped.

Bobber really has hit upon a key issue, there is no real rivalry in the OHL any more. None. The heated Osh/Pete has long vanished, When Belleville was in the league the long standing rivalry with Kingston also disappeared . There is no animosity anymore, play the game try not to be too physical or you'll be in the box for a check that was too hard (saw one last night vs the Petes). Lets face it the games are sometime down right boring, when fans scream for a free pizza slice instead of what is going on on the ice something is wrong.

4. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

"The game: The game has changed a lot in the past few years. While many will agree it was needed in order to help to cut down on avoidable brain injuries, it's also taken a lot of the intensity and rivalry out of the games. They all seem very vanilla. Not exactly something that makes me want to get down to the rink. You used to be able to feel the excitement and the tension. It's very rarely like that anymore and I think that hurts too. It also doesn't help that the demographic for whom the game changed, seem very content to just stay at home and not pay for the game anyway. That's tough."

--- I agree with this, too. We've got from physical, in-your-face hockey to "don't touch him" hockey and it's frustrating at times. I don't mind going from unlimited fights to 10-fights a season. So be it. After they went to three fights, though, it seems like players peel off instead of hitting or push, shove, and skate away. The emotion has been taken out of it. We've commented at the Spits games that "(insert player) actually hit someone!" I made the comment during the last game that "we haven't seen a single fight this year." A few min later, Logan Brown "fights" (sort of), but that's the extent it's been. I have no issues with getting rid of the staged fighting but it seems like we've gone from old school hockey to barely willing to make contact. That's not good.

5. bobber

bobber Registered User

I just feel that the league has taken the fans out of the game. All we do is hope the ref calls another penalty. There is not much emotion in the stands. Good thing a Spits fans brought his horn and got up a few times to cheer on the Spits. He gave a few Ranger fans a chuckle or two in what was really a boring affair.

6. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

While goals are a big part of the enjoyment of hockey, a good hit or fight has rarely had someone go "I don't like this." They get the fans excited. We've commented a few times this season at Spits games that it's felt like a library. That's not on the team by any stretch (and I don't want that comment to be taken like that). It's more about how the rules have changed so much. You get a few good hits and/or fights and there's no question that fans get more into it.

7. bobber

bobber Registered User

I agree. I remember before the fast face off rule years ago the opposing players always took their time going and coming to the dot and just delaying the game. Its a simple thing really but it got the fans riled up at the opposing team. Fans seem more interested in getting out of the parking lot early now even if it's a one goal game.

8. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

I like a good fight to maybe theIrish in me lol I hate the refs that call everything let them play.

9. Hockeyfan1234

Hockeyfan1234 Registered User

Don't agree on the fight for entertainment old time hockey hockey argument. I never go a game hoping there will be a fight. Hate the staged fights but don't mind when one happens because of someone bumped into a goalie, or there was a dirty hit, etc.

Hate when Ref's don't call penalties as all the slashing, holding, etc. just slows the game down and erases skill from the game. Nothing worse then going to watch New Jersey style hockey - and yes love to see big body-checks but the concussion thing has erased most of them! But if Refs let the game go the skill players quickly get erased by players who are struggling to stay in the league.

LDN likes this.
  10. LDN

LDN Registered User

Is there a way intensity could be increased? Would teams be more competitive if we didn't just let 80% of the teams into the playoffs.

11. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

Wow. You can get a slice of pizza AND a pop for $9? I may be wrong but in Ottawa I think it is close to $7 for the pizza slice and about $5 for the pop.

I think it is time the OHL went the same route as MLB. The MLB mandated the teams allow fans bring their own snacks and beverages. You just cannot bring in booze.