Why isn't Pierre Turgeon in the hall of fame?

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
What if the voters induct Pierre Turgeon and Dale Hunter in the same year as a sick joke? I don't think they'll do it. Hunter did visit Turgeon in the hospital though to apologize.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
What if the voters induct Pierre Turgeon and Dale Hunter in the same year as a sick joke? I don't think they'll do it. Hunter did visit Turgeon in the hospital though to apologize.
Do you have a source for this? I'm not doubting it, but it seems....off. Especially in the playoffs. I'd never heard this before.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Turgeon is a weird duck. Tons of skill. Impressive stats. Legit offensive threat. But I always questioned his heart. He was like the French-Canadian Yashin. Big, skilled and very good. But, meh, I'd rather build my team around others.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
It's been said many times over he was your typical compiler but his playoff numbers add more weight to the case.

The other issue is the HoF standards are what they are, not very high.

Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk and Andreychuk are in no way more deserving than Turgeon.

Year End All-Star Selections (Not the Game):

Ciccarelli: 0, 12th and 15th in Hart voting
Andreychuk: 0, 11th in Selke voting one year
Nieuwendyk: 0, a Smythe and 12th in Hart voting

And I seriously don't see Nieuwendyk getting inducted if not for the 3 titles and obviously the Smythe because his regular season numbers are the worst of all of these guys.

Turgeon: 0, 5th in Hart voting

Turgeon 92-93 season is arguably the best single season of the 4 guys. One season does not warrant an induction but overall he was productive enough with one more deep playoff run. It's being a Center that really kills him in this. At least Dave and Dino were wingers.

Last edited:

streitz

Jul 22, 2018

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He had 2 over 100 point seasons (132 in 92-93), two 90+ point season and three 80+ point seasons, three 10+ point postseasons and a five time All-Star. Far lesser players have been voted in, if you're going to allow that then it's an absolute crime that Turgeon isn't in.

For those who hold the HHOF to a higher standard, I salute you, but your ideology does not match the reality and the reality is that lesser players have been enshrined.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
His practically no post season nominations keep Turgeon out for me. He also was never, ever considered to be a top 10 in the league at any time.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
His practically no post season nominations keep Turgeon out for me. He also was never, ever considered to be a top 10 in the league at any time.
This is sort of how I feel. You don't necessarily need post-season awards if you have other League-best attributes (leadership, consistency, defensive acumen), but what else does Turgeon have besides almost-but-not-quite-elite offence?

If the 132-point season gets him in, then Dennis Maruk is in.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its not like he sucked in the play-offs, right?.

In his rookie season, was 2nd in play-off points for his team

John Tucker 10 points (7+4)
Pierre Turgeon 7 points (4+3)
Christian Ruuttu 7 points (2+5)
Phil Hously 6 points (2+4)
Dave Andreychuk 6 points (1+5)

In his sophomore season, led the team in play-off points

Pierre Turgeon 8 points (3+5)
Mike Foligno 3 points (3+0)
Rick Vaive 3 points (2+1)
Phil Housley 3 points (1+2)
Dave Andreychuk 3 points (0+3)

In his 3rd season, again led his team in play-off points

Pierre Turgeon 7 points (2+5)
Dave Andreychuk 7 points (2+5)
Rick Vaive 6 points (4+2)
Doug Bodger 6 points (1+5)
Phil Housley 5 points (1+4)

92-93 season he finished 3rd in the play-off points for his team

Ray Ferraro 20 points (13+7)
Steve Thomas 17 points (9+8)
Pierre Turgeon 13 points (6+7)
Derek King 13 points (3+10)
Benoit Hogue 12 points (6+6)

Led the Blues in play-off points: 99&01 (13&15 points)
and led the Stars in 04 (5 points)

Reactions: frisco

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Turgeon was always good at getting the points, I don't think anyone is denying that, it's just that he seemingly didn't have the ability to elevate his game come playoffs. Sort of like Thornton or Backstrom for most of their career's. Good, solid but not getting to the next level for some reason. Not sure what it is about, because they care 100%, suggesting otherwise would be ridiculous...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ok, how many games did you watch Turgeon play?

a handful.... still. you can't make those stats disappear either
many player gotten to the HHOF over the years only because of their statistics

And like previously said by others before me, several less of a players what Turgeon are HHOF's.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
a handful.... still. you can't make those stats disappear either
many player gotten to the HHOF over the years only because of their statistics

And like previously said by others before me, several less of a players what Turgeon are HHOF's.

Yeah but the stats don't show how genuinely scared he looked facing off against Messier in 94 on TV or how he was almost guaranteed to be crap in game 7.

There are worse players in the HHOF then Turgeon. They let both his sabres teammates in(Andreychuk and Housley) and he was better then both of them. I'm sure pierre will get in, in like 10 years when fighting is completely eliminated and he'll be praised for refusing to take part in the barbaric brawl of 1987.

decma

Feb 6, 2013
His practically no post season nominations keep Turgeon out for me.

Its much tougher for Cs to get post-season awards than wingers - the competition for AS awards is just much, much tougher.

Hall of Fame centres Fedorov, Hawerchuk, Lafontaine, Modano, Oates, Ratelle, Savard, Sittler, and Yzerman each only had one all-star selection.

And not having that recognition has not prevented other guys from making the HoF.
Federko, Francis, Gilmour, Nieuwendyk, and Stastny are all in despite having no all-star selections.

The median number of all-star selections for post-expansion centres in the HoF is one.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
He sat on the bench in Piestany.

What a coward. He should be ashamed of himself.

I don’t care how soft you are... when every last man comes off both benches - you do too. ESPECIALLY when wearing your country’s colors.

I don’t think that’s really the entire reason, but he’s a rodent in my book.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What a coward. He should be ashamed of himself.

I don’t care how soft you are... when every last man comes off both benches - you do too. ESPECIALLY when wearing your country’s colors.

I don’t think that’s really the entire reason, but he’s a rodent in my book.

If the rest of his team had followed his example they likely would've been gold medalists instead of kicked out of the tournament

Personally, I applaud him for not getting involved

He's a hockey player, not a brawler

And why does it matter if you're representing your country?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
If the rest of his team had followed his example they likely would've been gold medalists instead of kicked out of the tournament

Yeah the Canadians should have let their friends/teammates get beaten up 2-3 on 1 because of sensitive European hockey. I'm not going to pretend Canada never played goon hockey but in 1987 the Russians left the bench first. Simple, you defend your teammates.

Tournament was a joke then, Turgeon was rightfully blackballed afterward.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

But they didn’t.

You realize he left one of his teammates out there to be double-teamed, right? How could anyone be okay with that? At least go out there and bear-hug somebody... When you’re part of a team, you’re supposed to stick together and defend each other. To me, he cared nothing for his teammates. What did they think of his not getting involved?

The same can be said for all of those players.

Maybe I feel this way because I grew up in the 1980s, but I was raised with a love of country and a sense of patriotism. If I were to suit up for my country in any capacity doing anything, I would give my utmost effort to make sure we came out on top.

A team - any team - should be a brotherhood and you should ALWAYS have your brother’s back no matter what. Not everyone gets that, I guess. I don’t know you from Adam, but if we were teammates in a hockey tournament and everyone left both benches, you better believe that I would come to your defense if I saw you getting pummeled by two opposing players. Even if I didn’t like you personally. It’s a brotherhood, not a buddyhood.

Pierre Turgeon refused to stand with his brothers, and it disgusts me. He may have done what he thought was right, but it wasn’t. It was shameful, and cowardly. I’m not even Canadian and I’m ashamed of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->