Why isn't norway good at hockey?

Rici

Jan 9, 2013
Helsinki
Maybe it has something to do with geography? Finland and Sweden both have hundreds of thousands of lakes. In old times ice hockey was played on natural ice of ponds and lakes. Norway has very few lakes compared to Finland and Sweden. Norwegians are mostly living on coasts of the sea, where ice is not suitable for skating or playing like it is on lakes and ponds.

Reactions: Elvs

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
IMO, considering how limited they are rink wise, Norway is actually doing pretty well all things considered. Guy got picked last year, MEP probably gonna go top 3 rounds this year, Zucarello is a star etc etc.

And then in Europe you have guys like Haugen who is a fantastic goalie on big ice.

To me, more questionable nations in this category are Estonia and Iceland although the former is starting to produce legit prospects. Ukraine too, but there's more to it in that case.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Hockey is stigmatized as a Russian sport in Estonia, Iceland is tiny and has mild winters.
I have noticed the majority of Estonian prospects are half Russian or Finnish, but they're still improving pretty rapidly regardless.

And yeah Iceland being small obviously is a big factor I should have mentioned, but how low ranked they are still surprises me.

Rici

Jan 9, 2013
Helsinki
To me, more questionable nations in this category are Estonia and Iceland although the former is starting to produce legit prospects. Ukraine too, but there's more to it in that case.

Iceland has same problem as Norway. Where would you play ice hockey outdoors there? The ocean has no ice suitable for playing hockey. And, Iceland has only 300.000 inhabitants. Estonia is also a small country, with only 1,3 million people. Their bigger southern neighbour Latvia is a bigger ice hockey country but that is due to big investments in Latvian hockey during the Soviet times - and also nowadays during Latvian investments.

Rici

Jan 9, 2013
Helsinki
I have noticed the majority of Estonian prospects are half Russian or Finnish, but they're still improving pretty rapidly regardless.

Estonian prospects are definitely not Russian, nor Finnish. Estonian prospects often speak Russian as their mother language though (but never Finnish).

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Estonian prospects are definitely not Russian, nor Finnish. Estonian prospects often speak Russian as their mother language though (but never Finnish).
EP lists several of them with dual citizenship (Molder for instance), but maybe they just have foreign passports.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Norwegians don't have enough time between telemark skiing and eating lutefisk. In Finland we eat lutefisk only once a year, so we find time for hockey too.

Although bar fights and drinking pure vodka instead of water steal some free time too from us. But that's just good training actually.

Reactions: FVM and Jon Riley

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I was looking at Norway's impressive medal count in these Olympics and just started wondering why they do poorly in hockey. Norway is Scandinavian like Sweden and finland who are both great. Their population isnt that different from swe and fin. Similar climates and cultures.

Shouldn't they be similar to Sweden and finland?

Finland is not Scandinavian. Usually I don't get angry when people say these things, but in a domino effect you've said a lot of things that's angered me, so yeah now I have to scream at you.

Reactions: LiveeviL and Phu

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Finland is not Scandinavian. Usually I don't get angry when people say these things, but in a domino effect you've said a lot of things that's angered me, so yeah now I have to scream at you.
Finland is Scandinavian, but unlike other Scandinavian countries it is not Nordic.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I've known a few people from Baltic countries who have Russian as their mother tongue..and for the most part they were pretty strong nationalists. Russian nationalists that is.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
IMO, considering how limited they are rink wise, Norway is actually doing pretty well all things considered. Guy got picked last year, MEP probably gonna go top 3 rounds this year, Zucarello is a star etc etc.

And then in Europe you have guys like Haugen who is a fantastic goalie on big ice.

Iceland? How is that suspect? It's a tiny country with only one city, really, five if we're being generous. There are about 300000 people living there. I'm not even sure they could sustain an 8 team league.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It's probably just funding and investment in resources, specifically coaching. In the mid 2000's, Sweden took a big dive because of the way they were coaching younger players.

China should be better than they are, especially since their government invests so heavily in sports, and supports the athletes. You'd think they could be a modern-day Soviet Union, and they're hosting the Olympics in 4 years. They have as many registered players as Slovenia.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Netherlands has great skaters, I always wondered why hockey wasn't as popular.

I started playing hockey in Netherlands before I immigrated to Canada. Never really understood why a country who is crazy about Olympic skating, has the tallest male population in the world, wouldn't be good at hockey.

Reactions: Vladnyc

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Long frozen channels favored skating in the Netherlands traditionally, the Elfstedentocht used to be huge back in the day (and people would still go crazy if it ever happens again).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad