Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

member 290103

LOL?

is this for real?

This is what was put forth by NYI fans in the Calder thread. The weight on Matty B's shoulders is overwhelming, whereas the other rookies can just go out and have fun. Given this, Matty B gets the Calder.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
This is what was put forth by NYI fans in the Calder thread. The weight on Matty B's shoulders is overwhelming, whereas the other rookies can just go out and have fun. Given this, Matty B gets the Calder.

It is true. The islanders have an all world player in Tavares they want to resign. They want to make some noise in the playoffs, they actually most likely NEED to make some noise or Tavares is bye bye. Enter Barzal, he the main anchor point the team is going to use to try and keep Tavares. Barzal knows this therefore every night he is putting the hopes and dreams of an entire fanbase on his back.

Now let's look at the Devils: zero expectations coming into season other than don't finish dead last.

Edit: I am not even sure about that, I think the Devils as an organization would have been ok with dead last, then you get A good chance to redeem this years terrible whiff at 1st overall

member 290103

It is true. The islanders have an all world player in Tavares they want to resign. They want to make some noise in the playoffs, they actually most likely NEED to make some noise or Tavares is bye bye. Enter Barzal, he the main anchor point the team is going to use to try and keep Tavares. Barzal knows this therefore every night he is putting the hopes and dreams of an entire fanbase on his back.

Now let's look at the Devils: zero expectations coming into season other than don't finish dead last.

Edit: I am not even sure about that, I think the Devils as an organization would have been ok with dead last, then you get A good chance to redeem this years terrible whiff at 1st overall

Cringeworthy, dude. Cringeworthy.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

:laugh:

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He was never that impressive of a prospect, and he isn't exactly lighting up the NHL

He's on pace for 6o plus points as the youngest player in the league. You also don't realize that his two way game is just outstanding, possibly the best two way game as an 18 year old since Bergeron. Plus he as has more skill and hockey sense than Bergeron ever had. He's already a first line center on a first place team playing in what's most likely the best division in hockey. He's also not just a passenger he driving the play along with Hall, while also missing Palmieri our first line right winger. Also anyone who thinks Bratt is better is high off their ass, even if he's a elite young player in his own right. Same goes for Butcher. Nico has tangibles that cannot be teacher.

He was a very impressive prospect as well. It was his first year in North America and the Halifax coaches consistently said he wa farther along and more well rounded than Mackinnon, Drouin and Meier. That Halifax team was supposed to be terrible last year and not make the playoffs. His points per game were as good if not better than those three until he injured his wrist the last 6 weeks of the season.

The scouts got one thing right the 2017 draft was and is subpar as a whole. However they made one glaring mistake and that was underestimating Nico Hischier. The fact Nolan Patrick was even in the same tier as Nico during draft time is gonna be looked baxk upon in a humorous way.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He just isn’t THAT great for a 1st OA

On pace for 6o plus points as the youngest player in the league while playing an above average two way game. All while being the first line center, on a first place team and doing it while playing in what's most likely the toughest division in hockey. Maybe before the draft he was a subpar first overall, but he's surpassed all expectations. He's the real deal. I'd also love to know how many games you've actually watched Nico play this year at the NHL level. I'm gonna guess one at most.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Complete overexageration on your part, classic strawman. Barzal has the pressure of being the only driver on his 2nd line. Isles also expect to make the playoffs, in hopes of resigning Tavares, so Barzal may have some additional pressure to perform as the 2nd line centre.

No where has anyone expected Barzal to bring us to the cup, if someone said that he is just one of those guys each team has. How often have you watched Barzal to compare him to Hischier?

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
On pace for 6o plus points as the youngest player in the league while playing an above average two way game. All while being the first line center, on a first place team and doing it while playing in what's most likely the toughest division in hockey. Maybe before the draft he was a subpar first overall, but he's surpassed all expectations. He's the real deal. I'd also love to know how many games you've actually watched Nico play this year at the NHL level. I'm gonna guess one at most.
I’ve seen 2, and who I noticed was Hall.

My uneducated opinion is still that while he’s good, he’s definitely not great.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

He's not great now or will he neve be great? The guys on pace for 60 plus points in his rookie year while being the youngest player in the league, while only playing 16 mins a night, centering the first line and while doing so on a first place team in what's most likely the toughest division in hockey. Yeah I'm repeating myself, but it's amazing how this fact goes in one ear an out the other with some posters. He's already our best two way forward sans Zajac, who's one of the best two way players in the league.

Also, no one said he's better than Hall already. No Devils fan would ever say that. A guy who's over 7 years older, a former first overall pick, clearly in his prime and playing his best hockey since his 80 point season in Edmonton. You knows who's the biggest part of Hall's resurgence, Nico Hischier. If Hall playing better is your reason for not giving Nico his just due, then I have no idea what to say to you except that it's a completely ridiculous reasoning. Simple as that.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
just because a players discussion page isnt up on hfboards doesnt mean he doesn exist...a lot of people know hes playing great

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
P/60 for the most recent 1oa picks in their rookie season:

1. McDavid - 2.69
2. HISCHIER - 2.29
3. Kane - 2.26
4. Yakupov- 2.14
5. Matthews - 2.12
6. Mackinnon - 2.07
7. RNH- 1.95
8. Hall - 1.51
9. Tavares - 1.32

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If it was realistic. No one holds a 12.5% do you think he makes his teammates better than Crosby and McDavid, by a full 2%? Because that's basically the argument you are left defending if you are going to claim a 12.5% oiSH% is based on his ability to make his linemates better. Laine held one of 12.6% last year, and it has regressed to 8.9. Matthews had one of 7.7 last year to end the season, he has one of 10.6 this year. Despite his improvements, he didn't improve his playmaking and individual shooting ability to raise his oiSH% by 3%.

We were talking about point totals. I said Matthews numbers were depressed through his first 27 games due to bad luck. I think his explosion in points and raised oiSH% in the 2nd half of last year shows that.

Matthews had 37 points in the first 41 games (= 1st half of the season) and 32 points in the last 41 games (= 2nd half of the season). No "explosion", but slight regression instead.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
P/60 for the most recent 1oa picks in their rookie season:

1. McDavid - 2.69
2. HISCHIER - 2.29
3. Kane - 2.26
4. Yakupov- 2.14
5. Matthews - 2.12
6. Mackinnon - 2.07
7. RNH- 1.95
8. Hall - 1.51
9. Tavares - 1.32

That was @ the 15 games mark. Someone posted earlier in the thread an updated one (= @ the 27 games mark) and now Hischier is at 2.73.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
And Hischier will most likely be one of those rookies to break the 50 point mark.

It took him 7 games to score his first goal, and he wound up scoring a second one in that game as well. Didn't know 7 games is an eternity.

He is currently on pace point wise with what Auston Matthews had at this point last season.

Ah moving goal posts.

So because he's not out scoring another first overall pick that is a 7 year veteran in the NHL and one of the elite wingers in the league, that means he's not worthy of being talked about a bit more?

Great quality post.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
He doesnt have the same weight on his shoulders that Barzal has. The entire state of New York is counting on Barzal to deliver a cup. Given this, the spotlight is purely Matty B's.

A little exaggerated, me thinks. Reality is calling, but it's getting a busy tone...

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

LOL Post Of The Year.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
He's on pace for 6o plus points as the youngest player in the league. You also don't realize that his two way game is just outstanding, possibly the best two way game as an 18 year old since Bergeron. Plus he as has more skill and hockey sense than Bergeron ever had. He's already a first line center on a first place team playing in what's most likely the best division in hockey. He's also not just a passenger he driving the play along with Hall, while also missing Palmieri our first line right winger. Also anyone who thinks Bratt is better is high off their ass, even if he's a elite young player in his own right. Same goes for Butcher. Nico has tangibles that cannot be teacher.

He was a very impressive prospect as well. It was his first year in North America and the Halifax coaches consistently said he wa farther along and more well rounded than Mackinnon, Drouin and Meier. That Halifax team was supposed to be terrible last year and not make the playoffs. His points per game were as good if not better than those three until he injured his wrist the last 6 weeks of the season.

The scouts got one thing right the 2017 draft was and is subpar as a whole. However they made one glaring mistake and that was underestimating Nico Hischier. The fact Nolan Patrick was even in the same tier as Nico during draft time is gonna be looked baxk upon in a humorous way.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. Skills, probably true as Nico's creativity is elite, IMO. Also better top speed/skating, probably a bit better hands. Shot, probably the same.
Hockey sense? Nah, not even close. Not even in the same galaxy, actually. Bergeron is pure hockey IQ / sense. He is a generational two-way forward and his 4 Selkes prove it, if the eye test is not enough (spoiler: it is enough...). There's a mighty long way - a chasm - before Nico gets close to that. And that's not a slight on Nico: it's just that Bergeron is the best at what he does.

Last edited:

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Complete overexageration on your part, classic strawman. Barzal has the pressure of being the only driver on his 2nd line. Isles also expect to make the playoffs, in hopes of resigning Tavares, so Barzal may have some additional pressure to perform as the 2nd line centre.

No where has anyone expected Barzal to bring us to the cup, if someone said that he is just one of those guys each team has. How often have you watched Barzal to compare him to Hischier?
Barzal also has Tavares taking the top opposition, so less pressure on Barzal to perform against second-stringers.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

Hall being a beast doesn't mean Nico hasn't been impressive. Nico isn't perfect of course, he still needs to work on his shot, get stronger, be more aggressive offensively (sometimes he overpasses when he should just shot the puck) and he isn't as flashy as I thought he would be, but he's is super skilled, terrific competitor and a good playmaker. He is in the MacKinnon tier of 1st overalls, not great like McDavid but still a really good center with upside to become a high-end 1C.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Barzal also has Tavares taking the top opposition, so less pressure on Barzal to perform against second-stringers.

I mentioned this like 200 posts ago, but I'm glad someone else brought this up.

Barzal has Taveres going against top competition whereas Nico is consistently going up against the best night in and night out AND producing as the youngest player in the league, which is nothing short of impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->