Why is the Rangers AHL team so far away?

Champs 94

Mar 25, 2022
As a New Yorker who doesn't want to pay $500 to see a hockey game, I would love to watch some AHL games. It was so awesome when the Adirondack Red Wings were up in Glens Falls, NY. I used to vacation up there and would always catch quite a few of their games.

I know the Bronx Armory deal fell apart and that's such a shame. There were rumblings the Rangers would move their AHL team there. When is the New York area going to have an AHL team? People who are not rich but would like to see a hockey game should have options. Hartford is way too far away.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
As a New Yorker who doesn't want to pay $500 to see a hockey game, I would love to watch some AHL games. It was so awesome when the Adirondack Red Wings were up in Glens Falls, NY. I used to vacation up there and would always catch quite a few of their games.

I know the Bronx Armory deal fell apart and that's such a shame. There were rumblings the Rangers would move their AHL team there. When is the New York area going to have an AHL team? People who are not rich but would like to see a hockey game should have options. Hartford is way too far away.

?

Manhattan - > Hartford is less than 2 hours.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Because they are trying to appeal to the really rich transplants to Connecticut. Not to mention the staff that works for the team and the scouts coaches and players would rather be there than stuck in some upstate nothing town.

Im from Albany. If they put the team here, I would buy season tickets just to support it, even though I probably couldn't make it to 80% of the games. When the Devils had their farm team here I would only go to games they were playing Hartford.

It sucks though because long term, alot of people in this area turned out Devil fans because of this kind warping.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not even close to the distance between:

Tampa & Syracuse
Raleigh & Rosemont
Nashville & Milwaukee
Edmonton & Bakersfield
Seattle/Sunrise & Charlotte
St Louis & Springfield, MA
Stockton & Calgary

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Hartford is pretty close yet it would be easier if the team was in Bridgeport.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
Being from Hartford, it's one of the quicker commutes in the NHL. 2 hour drive or train ride. Glens Falls is 3.5 hours away...

The point of a partnership like the Rangers/Wolfpack is to simplify logistics for call-ups, and win fans in an adjacent market.

I likely would have grown up a Bruins fan if Hartford had the Boston affiliate instead of the New York one. Phew.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Would love for the Rangers to acquire the old Macy's in White Plains from Galleria and retrofit it into an AHL or ECHL arena. There is tons of municipal parking, restaurants, and bars within walking distance. Pipe dream but would be awesome.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Champs 94

Mar 25, 2022
Would love for the Rangers to acquire the old Macy's in White Plains from Galleria and retrofit it into an AHL or ECHL arena. There is tons of municipal parking, restaurants, and bars within walking distance. Pipe dream but would be awesome.
ECHL team would work too. Just something of reasonable quality that is affordable.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Why not the Nassau County Veterans Memorial Colosseum?

Or that new Senior Citizen Recreational Center they built over at Belmont Park. I’ve heard they have an regulation ice rink?

Reactions: Brian Leetch

Checkers Hockey

Veni, vidi, vici
Yeah, probably the worse was the Utica Comets when they were the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks.
That had to be a logistical nightmare for them.
Because they are trying to appeal to the really rich transplants to Connecticut.
To be honest, the average Wolf Pack fan is anything but rich. Most of them are middle-class blue-collar workers.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Would make sense for the Islanders to move their affiliate to NVMC and the Rangers to move their affiliate to Bridgeport.

Hartford would be shit out of luck but even as a CT native who gives a f***.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I'm surprised Amazon hasn't purchased it and converted it to a shipping station.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad