Why is Nick Shore for Nate Thompson being overlooked?

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Two days ago, the Ottawa Senators traded for a 4th line player that 42 points in his past 3 seasons, who apparently is a good penalty killer and the media and many on HF, don't want to talk about him, because he is cancelled out by Nate Thompson, a 4th line player who has 19 points in his past 3 seasons.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Because a 4th line C really doesn't move the needle much in terms of making your team better. Yeah its great we got the younger guy with marginally more upside but at the end of the day his 10 ES min or whatever a night aren't going to be changing a whole lot.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Shore has that Pascal Dupuis feel to him. What seems like a throw in for a trade like Dupuis was in Hosea to Pitt, nad Dupuis went on to become a huge part of Pitts depth.

I like Shore. Huge upgrade. It's the 4th line but I lik my 4th line Centers

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Using that sample and averaging out over 82 games their difference in production is 6 points.

During which Thompson was recovering from or playing through two major injuries (Shoulder and Achilles tendon).

The big advantage of Shore isn't his production, it's his age and lower cost contract. I think he's a bit more valuable than Thompson, but we're still talking about a 4th liner here, albeit with 3rd liner upside.

Reactions: Bileur

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Nick Shore...tank ruined.

He's a young pk'ng centre whos rfa. Sens could go for a cheap 4th line next season if they want to. Like under 2 million

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The organization seems to be enamoured with the Shore family. Years ago they had expressed interest in Drew when he was in Florida, they drafted Quentin but didn't give him a contract, and now finally have acquired Nick.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
"Why is Nick Shore for Nate Thompson being overlooked?"

Because it is almost thoroughly irrelevant in the long run.

We were not bad before the trade because we had a thoroughly average 4th line center, and are not really in a better spot now that we have ever so slightly upgraded a player at a position that in the long run doesn't contribute a whole lot to winning or losing games.

Reactions: Cosmix

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Two days ago, the Ottawa Senators traded for a 4th line player that 42 points in his past 3 seasons, who apparently is a good penalty killer and the media and many on HF, don't want to talk about him, because he is cancelled out by Nate Thompson, a 4th line player who has 19 points in his past 3 seasons.
I'm sorry people aren't talking about your son Mrs. Thompson but look on the bright side, he's moving to LA. May even be in the playoffs.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And yet, for two years in a row, this team has failed to do so.

Man, we have an entire farm system full of "good 4th liners".

Heck, the issue with the Thompson signing wasn't that he was a bad 4th liner.... he's a perfectly fine 4th liner. The problem was, according to many, was that it was somewhat unnecessary, seeing as how we have all of these other 4th liners in the system and readily available. That we were paying too much for an asset that we didn't really need, because we already had guys like him in the system.

4th liners are a dime a dozen, unless they are UFAs, in which case they are two dimes a dozen. We have a ton of them. Many teams do.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
A 4C is easy to find but an effective 4C is a little hard to find

It will be interesting to see if Shore will have more of an offensive punch here he has good minor numbers

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's stupidly easy to get good 4th liners.
I wouldn't say that at all....it might be stupidly cheap by nhl standards to get 4th liners but to get really good 4th liners at standard nhl pay grades is not easy at all

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I wouldn't say that at all....it might be stupidly cheap by nhl standards to get 4th liners but to get really good 4th liners at standard nhl pay grades is not easy at all

If the team does a good job at drafting and development 4th liners are a dime a dozen

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
yes and no. tons of guys available. The original quote was good 4th liners.

I watch teams like the Pens, Bolts, Devils and Sharks play... don’t seem to have a problem finding good 4th liners...

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Nick Shore has some offensive upside. Definitely a real plus to this trade. If he were to develop his offensive game at the NHL level to the point where he gets 30-35 pts/82 games he's a huge upgrade on Thompson. That level of production isn't out of the question given his scoring at lower levels. I think the team should try him in a variety of situations down the stretch. Could be a decent 3rd liner.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am always excited about new players.

Thompson was a fine 4th liner. Shore is younger and has more offensive upside? Sign me up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad