Why is Hockey Canada so slow to acknowledge the Woman's game needs change?

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Do they need to adjust? Yes.

Do they need to blow it up? No.

I'm not interested in panic decision making because of a shootout loss. There's a lot of finger pointing by the OP that while important are not really relevant to the women's team in particular (level of enrollment in youth hockey for example).

The biggest issue is a lack of funding and quality leagues to play in once they get through the college system. That's not something you can just throw money at and expect to work, considering how many fans on this forum alone turn their noses at the women's game.

Reactions: Mightygoose

Follix

Jun 27, 2015
Out of the 10 fastest skaters, probably 8 were Americans, not normal...

But even worst tho is endurance... Canadians stopped skating by the mid third period.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Needs to change in that Canada and the US have to stop being the only 2 teams who contend for the gold. Other than that both Canada and the US are fine at women's hockey.
I have said the US and Canada should just play a best-0f-7 among themselves. Winner gets the Gold, loser gets nothing. Let the rest of the countries have a tourney for Silver and Bronze.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think the OP has a point.
The US has won 8 of the last 10 world championships.(Canada had won the previous 8)

The US has won the last three 4 nation cups.

The US has won 4 of the last Under 18 tournaments. Since that tournament started in 2008 the US has won it 7 times and Canada 4 times. This year the US won gold and Canada bronze. (Sweden won silver)

If you've watched woman's hockey it's obvious the American speed, puck control, passing and hockey instinct (AKA hockey IQ) has greatly surpassed that of Canada's.

Even in boys youth hockey the US puts far more emphasis on speed and puck control. We're now seeing the success of that program.

We all know Hockey Canada is run by an old boys club that have similar mindsets to the guys running the Edmonton Oilers. Until they're tossed out on their asses nothing will change.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I don't really follow the womens programs too much at all. I will say the USA team looked much better in both games even though they lost the first one. They were much faster.

They did not look like equals imo. The games were close, but it was close like the men usa vs canada was close in 2010.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
This is about a lot more than just an Olympic streak coming to an end in a shootout.

Canada is getting owned at the women's world championships (albeit often in overtime), and at the 4 nations cup.

In fact every four years at the Olympics was the lone bastion of Canadian success.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I read somewhere that Canada had won 6 straight games against the US going into this tournament.

I don't think it's as dire as people make it out to be.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I read somewhere that Canada had won 6 straight games against the US going into this tournament.

I don't think it's as dire as people make it out to be.

USA has won the majority of championships over the past decade. The USA is just better at women's hockey than Canada, USA has more skill and better development system. Same will be true for men's hockey soon.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
USA has won the majority of championships over the past decade. The USA is just better at women's hockey than Canada, USA has more skill and better development system. Same will be true for men's hockey soon.

As a programmer, I suspect that your continued unoriginal comments are just the output of a "USA Trollbot 2.0" algorithm as opposed to the legitimate and sane thoughts of a real person.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I guess after running away from your lies during the WJHC you have decided that spreading BS in the womens hockey threads might be easier to pass off?

As always we have been hearing about the US taking over the Men's game since 1996 and haven't seen anything close to it. But keep pumping that BS narrative out there.

As for the women I don't follow or care about it but a fluke SO win after what 6 Gold Medal losses in a row sure doesn't seem like proof that the scumbag American women are better at anything.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I guess after running away from your lies during the WJHC you have decided that spreading BS in the womens hockey threads might be easier to pass off?

As always we have been hearing about the US taking over the Men's game since 1996 and haven't seen anything close to it. But keep pumping that BS narrative out there.

As for the women I don't follow or care about it but a fluke SO win after what 6 Gold Medal losses in a row sure doesn't seem like proof that the ******* American women are better at anything.

USA's talent pool is nearly twice of what it was in 1996 and if current trends continue there will be more American players in the NHL than Canadians within 2 decades.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
USA's talent pool is nearly twice of what it was in 1996 and if current trends continue there will be more American players in the NHL than Canadians within 2 decades.

2 decades?

In 4 more years the US will be a post-apocalyptic wasteland the way things are going.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Like I said we have heard about this since 1996. Back then there were similar comments about the growth in hockey and increasing American players.

The fact is much like then if you combined the two countries the team would be 95% Canadian players with maybe 1 or 2 Americans being able to sneak on.

And as dominant as the Canadian top end talent is compared to the Americans the depth is even more dominant as games between Canada B and versus their American counter parts wouldn't be close.

There is less than a zero percent chance that in 20 years there will be more Americans than Canadians in the NHL.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Like I said we have heard about this since 1996. Back then there were similar comments about the growth in hockey and increasing American players.

The fact is much like then if you combined the two countries the team would be 95% Canadian players with maybe 1 or 2 Americans being able to sneak on.

And as dominant as the Canadian top end talent is compared to the Americans the depth is even more dominant as games between Canada B and versus their American counter parts wouldn't be close.

There is less than a zero percent chance that in 20 years there will be more Americans than Canadians in the NHL.

The under 23 world cup team had more Americans than Canadians and the current NHL top 10 has 3 Americans and 3 Canadians.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
As for the women I don't follow or care about it but a fluke SO win after what 6 Gold Medal losses in a row sure doesn't seem like proof that the ******* American women are better at anything.

I think it's very fair to say that the US women have overtaken the Canadians. A shootout loss is easy to dismiss (that's a tie), but there does seem to be a pattern emerging...

After Sochi:
2014 4-nations: Canada 3-2 (SO)
2015 Worlds: USA 7-5
2015 4-nations: USA 3-2 (OT)
2016 Worlds: USA 1-0 (OT)
2016 4-nations: USA 5-3
2017 Worlds: USA 3-2 (OT)
2017 4-nations: USA 5-1
2018 Olympics: USA 3-2 (SO)

It's a little more equal when you add in round-robin and exhibition games, but when gold is on the line it's now seven straight for the Americans.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The under 23 world cup team had more Americans than Canadians and the current NHL top 10 has 3 Americans and 3 Canadians.

The U23 team was political to make sure the pathetic Americans didn't get their feelings hurt.

If you made the team based on merit not passport no chance the split is close to even, Canadians with much better players.

And good for those 3 Americans doesn't change the fact they aren't good enough for team Canada.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think it's very fair to say that the US women have overtaken the Canadians. A shootout loss is easy to dismiss (that's a tie), but there does seem to be a pattern emerging...

After Sochi:
2014 4-nations: Canada 3-2 (SO)
2015 Worlds: USA 7-5
2015 4-nations: USA 3-2 (OT)
2016 Worlds: USA 1-0 (OT)
2016 4-nations: USA 5-3
2017 Worlds: USA 3-2 (OT)
2017 4-nations: USA 5-1
2018 Olympics: USA 3-2 (SO)

It's a little more equal when you add in round-robin and exhibition games, but when gold is on the line it's now seven straight for the Americans.

I don't follow or care about women's hockey but see see a ton of OT and SO in those "wins."

But if the pathetic American hockey fan needs to spin that as their women's team being better go ahead it doesn't really matter at all anyways.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
To answer why Hockey Canada is slow to make changes to women's hockey, it's mainly because people only pay attention every four years and if Canada wins gold, everyone is content. There are changes that can be made, but it has nothing to do with a loss in a shootout to team USA. One obvious one is getting decent coaching for the top level players. Other than that, most changes would have to be made at lower levels. Refine skill development for kids and most importantly do whatever is possible to make hockey affordable and accessible for as many people as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad