Why is all of Canada celebrating????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Yesterday on a local sports show here in Nashville a guy from Canada called bragging about the Predators moving there. He said "now you know Americans how it feels to lose a team". Please explain the revenge factor involved in the Preds moving and the Hate directed at Nashville (since we came into the league). Yes the Jets and Nords did move to the US. Both were gone before the Preds even existed. It's like you want to stick it to America with us leaving. Why??? Us Nashville fans did nothing to Canada other than accept your national sport and learn to love it like you do. I mean no one here celebrated when the Expos moved to Washington. Even when the Girzzlies moved most people in Nashville did not care. Most fans feel sympathy for the fans of teams that move not rub it in their face. It's really very classless to do so. Honoring Balsillie as a "hero" in Edmonton makes no sense to me.

Also "be careful what you wish for you may get it" this could set a dangerous precedent with the NHL breaking the 7 year clause and allowing the team to be moved. A Billionaire in Houston may offer 220 mill for the Oilers in five years and use the "you allowed Balsillie to move after 1 season" thing when he wants to relocate (I think this almost happened one time). Yes the CN Dollar is strong but can you garentee that in 5 years??? Canada may gain the Preds but lose other teams if this happens. Did anyone ever think of that????

Plus why does Hamilton and Winnipeg not get critized for trying to steal teams?? I mean Hamilton tried to aquire the Jets in 96. Winnipeg tried to steal the Pens in 04. Yet KC is run through the ringer for doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke*

Is all your Edmonton rhetoric just directed at me? Because you'd save some time to know my sig is just in response to another guys who pinned all Canadians as xenophobic and "devil Balsillie" lovers. So I just agreed with him, you know to make his rant less effective.

Also, the Oilers will go nowhere. Someone in Houston would have to offer close to a billion dollars to buy the team, with Darryl Katz, one of the world's richest men, and an Edmontonian in the cut ready to buy the Oilers at any cost.

As for Canada celebrating - we got screwed over countless times in sports, and especially hockey. It wouldn't matter if it was Nashville or Florida. We want our teams back, no matter what, or if it pains a few thousand Tennesseans. If it sucks for Nashville, oh well - it's miniscule to the pain felt when the Jets were ripped away from Winnipeg. Or the Nordiques ripped out of Quebec only to win the Stanley Cup the year after.

Hockey is our culture, it's what we love. Imagine if NFL teams were ripped out of the US and put in random Canadian markets to "Expand the game".

Wetcoaster

Yesterday on a local sports show here in Nashville a guy from Canada called bragging about the Predators moving there. He said "now you know Americans how it feels to lose a team". Please explain the revenge factor involved in the Preds moving and the Hate directed at Nashville (since we came into the league). Yes the Jets and Nords did move to the US. Both were gone before the Preds even existed. It's like you want to stick it to America with us leaving. Why??? Us Nashville fans did nothing to Canada other than accept your national sport and learn to love it like you do. I mean no one here celebrated when the Expos moved to Washington. Even when the Girzzlies moved most people in Nashville did not care. Most fans feel sympathy for the fans of teams that move not rub it in their face. It's really very classless to do so. Honoring Balsillie as a "hero" in Edmonton makes no sense to me.

Also "be careful what you wish for you may get it" this could set a dangerous precedent with the NHL breaking the 7 year clause and allowing the team to be moved. A Billionaire in Houston may offer 220 mill for the Oilers in five years and use the "you allowed Balsillie to move after 1 season" thing when he wants to relocate (I think this almost happened one time). Yes the CN Dollar is strong but can you garentee that in 5 years??? Canada may gain the Preds but lose other teams if this happens. Did anyone ever think of that????

Plus why does Hamilton and Winnipeg not get critized for trying to steal teams?? I mean Hamilton tried to aquire the Jets in 96. Winnipeg tried to steal the Pens in 04. Yet KC is run through the ringer for doing the same thing.
Simple.... you are Americans and you think you can run the world. No one likes a self righteous bully.

Canada OTOH has pure motives, we believe in altruism and making the world a better place... for hockey.:sarcasm:

hockeydadx2*

Frankly, it seems rather petty of Canadian hockey fans to get any pleasure out of something like this. I would not have suspected that they would have acted this way. Maybe Don Cherry is not really all that much of an anomaly after all.

Nashville108*

Simple.... you are Americans and you think you can run the world. No one likes a self righteous bully.

Canada OTOH has pure motives, we believe in altruism and making the world a better place... for hockey.:sarcasm:

Whoah...a little generalization there eh? Maybe a little jealousy?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Please explain the revenge factor involved in the Preds moving and the Hate directed at Nashville (since we came into the league). Yes the Jets and Nords did move to the US.

I think you answered your own question. It's not fair for you I sympathize. It is just a general anger thrown out there and you fans get the brunt of it. You fans should try and not take it personally I think.

You can surely understand the anger of bitter Winnipeg and Québec fans, as you now feel it yourself. Its a general anger at Canadian teams going to the States and not doing any better. Surely you can relate to that? You personally dont deserve any blame though.

And anyway, I don't think all of Canada is celebrating. Im certainly not. And i dont think its over yet in Nashville either. It looked just as over in Edmonton and Ottawa and we survived. I dont find it proven that the LONG term plans for Nashville are wrong.

TorFC-TML*

Hockey is our culture, it's what we love. Imagine if NFL teams were ripped out of the US and put in random Canadian markets to "Expand the game".

Exactly.

Now NFL teams moving to obscure Canadian locales is obviously never going to happen; but that is not the point. The point is, American sports fans would never accept NFL teams leaving established American markets to try and 'grow the game' in new, non-traditional markets.

Ive posted on NFL boards about entertaining the thought that a Toronto franchise could exist and the responses are nearly 100% 'No'. Most of the replies are along the lines of 'Its called the NFL not the IFL' or 'You have your own league', and other stupid crap like that.

Wetcoaster

Whoah...a little generalization there eh? Maybe a little jealousy?
You did notice the smilie, eh?

This issue is however close to the hearts of some Vancouverites.

You are aware of the the NBA Vancouver Grizzlies who were hijacked by a Yankee carpetbagger and taken to some place in the States called Memphis. In which province is Memphis located?:D

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Wetcoaster!!
And I am Canadian!!!

Thank you, eh.
http://www.coolcanuckaward.ca/joe_canadian.htm

Pardon me while I kick back and open a Molson Canadian - real beer not dishwater.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
What does this have to do with the business of hockey? Just asking.

GHOST

It doesnt really. But understandably there are a lot of upset fans looking for understanding.

But Gnashville, it could be premature for you to write off Balsillie, it is still possible he saves your team.

Wetcoaster

What does this have to do with the business of hockey? Just asking.

GHOST
Just answering.

Relocation of an existing NHL franchise and the emotions it engenders amongst fans?

Maybe it should not part of the "Business Forum".

Mods - Please remove all references to the Winnipeg Jets and the return of the NHL to Winnipeg from this forum.

Thank you.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Is all your Edmonton rhetoric just directed at me? Because you'd save some time to know my sig is just in response to another guys who pinned all Canadians as xenophobic and "devil Balsillie" lovers. So I just agreed with him, you know to make his rant less effective.

Also, the Oilers will go nowhere. Someone in Houston would have to offer close to a billion dollars to buy the team, with Darryl Katz, one of the world's richest men, and an Edmontonian in the cut ready to buy the Oilers at any cost.

As for Canada celebrating - we got screwed over countless times in sports, and especially hockey. It wouldn't matter if it was Nashville or Florida. We want our teams back, no matter what, or if it pains a few thousand Tennesseans. If it sucks for Nashville, oh well - it's miniscule to the pain felt when the Jets were ripped away from Winnipeg. Or the Nordiques ripped out of Quebec only to win the Stanley Cup the year after.

Was not directed at you unless you were on 104.5 the Zone yesterday.

Were you a huge Jet fan when they left or a Oiler fan?????
Are you going to stop cheering for the Oilers to cheer for the Hamilton Predators???

If the Millwakee Brewers (MLB) or Arizona Cardinals (NFL) moved to Vancouver. I would not yell and scream about it at all and not continue to do so 10 years afterward. I certainally not want the Blue Jays moved to make up for it. I assume most americans agree with me on this.

Wetcoaster

Are you going to stop cheering for the Oilers to cheer for the Hamilton Predators???

If the Millwakee Brewers (MLB) or Arizona Cardinals (NFL) moved to Vancouver. I would not yell and scream about it at all and not continue to do so 10 years afterward. I certainally not want the Blue Jays moved to make up for it. I assume most americans agree with me on this.
Probably not.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

I want team in Canada but it doesn't mean that I will cheer for them.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
You did notice the smilie, eh?

This issue is however close to the hearts of some Vancouverites.

You are aware of the the NBA Vancouver Grizzlies who were hijacked by a Yankee carpetbagger and taken to some place in the States called Memphis. In which province is Memphis located?:D

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Wetcoaster!!
And I am Canadian!!!

Thank you, eh.
http://www.coolcanuckaward.ca/joe_canadian.htm

Pardon me while I kick back and open a Molson Canadian - real beer not dishwater.
Like I saidalmost no one in Nashville cared when the Grizzlies move to Memphis. I have no Problem with putting expansion teams in NFL, MLB and NBA into Canada. Interesting you throw out hte sterotype associated with Canadian but alot of people up there throw out the hillbilly sterotype to Tennesseans.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
The point is, American sports fans would never accept NFL teams leaving established American markets to try and 'grow the game' in new, non-traditional markets.
If the owner wanted to do so, there wouldn't be a whole lot we could say about it. What's to "accept"? People would cry because seeing a team moved always sucks, only people like Raoul would assume we'd cry more if it was going to Canada.

NFL teams are a license to print money, so this is probably a terrible example because it flat out will NOT happen.

Ive posted on NFL boards about entertaining the thought that a Toronto franchise could exist and the responses are nearly 100% 'No'. Most of the replies are along the lines of 'Its called the NFL not the IFL' or 'You have your own league', and other stupid crap like that.
Hmm, that's kinda silly. Maybe I'm biased because several Toronto-nians (or whatever) I know are huge NFL fans, but I think the NFL would be a big hit in Toronto.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
But Gnashville, it could be premature for you to write off Balsillie, it is still possible he saves your team.
Your joking right??? He's already looking for land in Kitchener and made a deal with Halmilton? He refuses to even speak to people from Nashville including the mayor. His intention are crystal clear.

Raoul Duke*

I'm from Edmonton, hence being an Oilers fan from day one. The assumption I just switch loyalties is pointless to this whole debate. Although I would cheer more for the Hamilton Predators in the playoffs as opposed to the Nashville Predators.

I like how you just pick a couple crappy franchises and put them in Vancouver. What if the Green Bay Packers moved to Regina? Or The Buffalo Bills to Halifax, the Denver Broncos to Quebec City? You know, to expand the game despite if fans show up or not. Hell, after 10 years they should get another 10 to build more fan support despite being under the season ticket base they need.

And I know there would be an uproar. Look at the Cleveland Browns moving, and subsequently getting them right back. Why can't Winnipeg have their beloved team back too?

Raoul Duke*

If the owner wanted to do so, there wouldn't be a whole lot we could say about it. What's to "accept"? People would cry because seeing a team moved always sucks, only people like Raoul would assume we'd cry more if it was going to Canada.

Just like there's not a whole lot you can say about Balsillie bringing a team back to Canada.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I like how you just pick a couple crappy franchises and put them in Vancouver. What if the Green Bay Packers moved to Regina? Or The Buffalo Bills to Halifax, the Denver Broncos to Quebec City? You know, to expand the game despite if fans show up or not. Hell, after 10 years they should get another 10 to build more fan support despite being under the season ticket base they need.

And I know there would be an uproar. Look at the Cleveland Browns moving, and subsequently getting them right back. Why can't Winnipeg have their beloved team back too?
Those franchies are never moving and you know it. The Jets were never at that level of history. The Jets were moved not to expand the game but because the city refused to bulid a modern arena. They looked to Hamilton also before deciding on Phoenix something everyone seems to forget. BTW where was the uproar when the Colts moved??? The city of Cleveland cause a stink not all of the US add to that the Brown did move and won a Super Bowl. The expansion team granted Cleveland has stunk up the league since day 1.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Your joking right??? He's already looking for land in Kitchener and made a deal with Halmilton? He refuses to even speak to people from Nashville including the mayor. His intention are crystal clear.

Same thing happened in Pittsburgh. He hasnt said he is moving the team, it is so far just a fear put out there which works conveniently for him in getting leverage. I wouldnt believe everything you read. Many Pittsburgh fans felt as resigned as you do now and had just as many signs it was over. Dont lose hope yet, they chose nashville for a reason. It seems hard to believe he would put a $220 mil + investment in Winnipeg at this time. And if Hamilton K-W is as good a market as suspected, they may pay even higher expansion fees. And he could be looking for land to expand his other businesses too.

Raoul Duke*

Those franchies are never moving and you know it. The Jets were never at that level of history. The Jets were moved not to expand the game but because the city refused to bulid a modern arena. They looked to Hamilton also before deciding on Phoenix something everyone seems to forget. BTW where was the uproar when the Colts moved??? The city of Cleveland cause a stink not all of the US add to that the Brown did move and won a Super Bowl. The expansion team granted Cleveland has stunk up the league since day 1.

lol those teams are never moving - that's the point. It's history and tradition for pro football in those markets. Just like hockey is in Quebec City and Winnipeg. Get it yet why people are so adament to want their teams back?

Also, the Jets going to Hamilton is complete BS. The only other place they looked at was Minnesota while the city and citizens were going wild trying to raise money to save the team.

The Browns, the point is - got their team back. You don't think Winnipeg raises hell over the robbery of their Jets? Remember the World Junior Championships in North Dakota when it was overrun despite blizzard road conditions by Winnipegers who chanted each game all game long "GO JETS GO". Canada/Russia or Slovakia/Germany that's all you'd hear.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Like I saidalmost no one in Nashville cared when the Grizzlies move to Memphis. I have no Problem with putting expansion teams in NFL, MLB and NBA into Canada. Interesting you throw out hte sterotype associated with Canadian but alot of people up there throw out the hillbilly sterotype to Tennesseans.

Nashville is 210 miles from Memphis. Why would Nashville care?

Raoul Duke*

Interesting you throw out hte sterotype associated with Canadian but alot of people up there throw out the hillbilly sterotype to Tennesseans.

I love how the guy posts up a famous rant from a beer commercial about Canadians, but you somehow turn it around to yourself and Canadians being bigoted towards Tennesseans, when nobody said hillbilly but yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->