Why I'm glad Crosby is leveraging against NHL entry-level limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
kurt said:
We live in a world where people have the opportunity to earn what the market dictates their services are worth. ?

Boy do you live in a dream world.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
FlyerFan said:
You play where you're wanted. How can it be argued that the NHL wants Crosby or Ovechkin at 850k for 4 years in their league more than a competing league thats willing to pay 10m for 3 years?

I already explained this, so I feel no need to repeat myself.

Here's a hint - it's another post of mine in this thread.

:shakehead

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
missK said:
It has been stated many times that the NHLPA threw the Rookies under the bus, not the NHL.

And I agree, if a player can make more money elsewhere, whether they are a rookie or not and they decide to not play in the NHL because of it, they have to live with that decision.

IMO no one is going to stop watching the NHL or stop going to games because Sid leaves for Europe (other than maybe Sid's parents).

I find it amusing that all the talk is about Crosby going to Europe, when he is about the least likely rookie to go. It would cost him a zillion dollars in ensorsement money and force him as teenager, to live overseas. It's one thing to go for a year. Another to plan 4 years there. Ain't going to happen. However, the threat of going might allow rookies to dictate where they will play in the NHL.

Europeans, like Malkin and Ovechkin, on the other hand, are the ones who will be far more likely to avoid the NHL. They don't get the big endorsement money. Look at Ovechkin, he is shown himself to be the next great scoring star, so where's the Gatorade deal for him? Further, after taxes, a 850K salary in the US or Canada is probably equivalent to $500K in Europe where taxes are avoidable (I've heard).

mackdogs*

FlyerFan said:
You play where you're wanted. How can it be argued that the NHL wants Crosby or Ovechkin at 850k for 4 years in their league more than a competing league thats willing to pay 10m for 3 years?
Actually players of their status play where they want to play not where they are wanted. Here's a scenario:

Montreal wins the draft lottery and draft Sid first overall. Sid also gets an offer to play for 10mil over 3 years in Switzerland.

Where do you think he ends up?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
arnie said:
I find it amusing that all the talk is about Crosby going to Europe, when he is about the least likely rookie to go. It would cost him a zillion dollars in ensorsement money and force him as teenager, to live overseas. It's one thing to go for a year. Another to plan 4 years there. Ain't going to happen. However, the threat of going might allow rookies to dictate where they will play in the NHL.

Europeans, like Malkin and Ovechkin, on the other hand, are the ones who will be far more likely to avoid the NHL. They don't get the big endorsement money. Look at Ovechkin, he is shown himself to be the next great scoring star, so where's the Gatorade deal for him? Further, after taxes, a 850K salary in the US or Canada is probably equivalent to $500K in Europe where taxes are avoidable (I've heard).

Crosby's "zillion dollars" in endorsement money is less than 1 million a year. He's getting a total of 2.5 million from Reebok spread over 5 years, and by all accounts his Gatorade deal is worth less than that.

FlyerFan

Jun 4, 2005
Montrealer said:
I already explained this, so I feel no need to repeat myself.

Here's a hint - it's another post of mine in this thread.

:shakehead

There was no thread. Try again.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
By the way if I was Crosby, and that offer is in fact legit, I would tkae it for sure. With that much money you are pretty much set in case anything happens to harm or end your career. Then after scoring the easy cash, he comes back to the NHL. If Crosby took three years to develop in Europe and come back over at 21, he could be the baddest thing to hit the league since Teemu Selanne.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Epsilon said:
Crosby's "zillion dollars" in endorsement money is less than 1 million a year. He's getting a total of 2.5 million from Reebok spread over 5 years, and by all accounts his Gatorade deal is worth less than that.

Yes, that's his endorsement money now. But what happens a year, two years from now?

If he's year 2 in the Swiss league, how many advertisers will even care about him? They'll just move on to the next 'phenom'.

But if he's in the NHL, making the highlight reel on Sportscenter every other night...

labatt50

Feb 26, 2005
Newsguyone said:
Who cares if he's paid his dues.

Sidney Crosby, in his first season, will sell more hockey tickets for his employer than McCarty did his whole career.

We just had a year's lockout over money.
This is all about money.

Be grateful for those moments in the Olympics and playoffs when you just know that the players are playing for the pride of winning.

Otherwise, it's all about money. And Crosby will make a lot of it for his NHL team.

Everyone needs to pay their dues. I am not the biggest McCarty fan, but don't be so sure that Crosby will sell more tickets his first year than McCarty will his whole career. You are assuming that a)Crosby will be phenom that he is being built up to be and b) he will go to a team that has high fan support. McCarty might not sell a ton of tickets on the road, but he sure does in Detroit. He is definately a fan favorite.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Epsilon said:
By the way if I was Crosby, and that offer is in fact legit, I would tkae it for sure. With that much money you are pretty much set in case anything happens to harm or end your career. Then after scoring the easy cash, he comes back to the NHL. If Crosby took three years to develop in Europe and come back over at 21, he could be the baddest thing to hit the league since Teemu Selanne.

I guess that's the big question...IS this offer legit, or is his agent manufacturing an artificially enhanced marketplace?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
syc said:
So if you could make 90K a year with another company would you switch jobs? YES. Welcome to reality enjoy your stay.

Whats so bad about getting as much as you can, don't we live in a capitilist society? Good for him, if the NHL won't show him the money then he should look elsewhere. 3 Years in Europe might even be good for him.

And he comes back to the NHL still having to make $850k over four years.

Good plan chief.

FlyerFan

Jun 4, 2005
mackdogs said:
Actually players of their status play where they want to play not where they are wanted. Here's a scenario:

Montreal wins the draft lottery and draft Sid first overall. Sid also gets an offer to play for 10mil over 3 years in Switzerland.

Where do you think he ends up?

My point was in the second sentence. The NHL needs to be serious about securing top young talent. Restricting what you pay these players to 850k over 4 years isn't serious, and allows competition that IS serious about securing the said young talent to provide alternatives.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
FlyerFan said:
My point was in the second sentence. The NHL needs to be serious about securing top young talent. Restricting what you pay these players to 850k over 4 years isn't serious, and allows competition that IS serious about securing the said young talent to provide alternatives.

Perhaps Crosby should be having a little chat with his future union brothers then? They were the ones that sold him out.

Regardless, like a typical player, you are taking far too short a view of things. Crosby's carreer earning potential in the NHL is much higher than it is in Europe, even with this cap. If Crosby wants to make a little more now at the cost of a lot more later, that is his right. It isnt financially prudent, but it is his right.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Besides, I thought the Toronto Marlies were going to pay Crosby $3 million a year. What happened to that "rumor"?

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
The thing is hockey has been polluted a little bit by money. It's no longer about playing for the love of the game, it's strictly about the dollars and cents.

While a kid like Crosby might play in the NHL for free just because it's been his dream, I can guarantee you a kid like Ovechkin won't. It's all about the money for kids like that and it's becoming increasingly more relevant in the minds of all players, not just European ones.

Perhaps one year contracts are the answer. Perhaps pay as you go or some sort of other minimal base, high incentive contracts are in order. Reward the player for playing well...

One thing is for sure, I'll rest my full judgement until I see exactly what the restriction is and what the CBA allows as a rookie bonus.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
As soon as one realizes that $500,000 is a big salary in the Swiss League, one realizes that the Luongo offer to Crosby is a publicity stunt based on his celebrity. There's no way that they'll be offering his anonymous rookie bretheran big salaries.

Also, Crosby would be a fool to play anywhere but the NHL because he'll surrender many millions in salary and endorsements and he'll never be able to say that he played against the best.

mooseOAK*

kurt said:
I personally feel as though prospects like Ovechkin and Crosby are really getting the pooey end of the stick in this rumoured CBA framework. I suppose it's natural, as unions typically compromise entry-level positions to look after current members.

However, like most people on this board, I'm a hockey fan, and I love the NHL. The fact of the matter is, there's an enormous demand for a franchise (in any league) to own the rights to a larger-than-life prospect like Ovechkin or Crosby. If the NHL limits their ability to attract these young phenoms, they're going to end up losing out on future megastars.

We live in a world where people have the opportunity to earn what the market dictates their services are worth. I'm all for parity in the NHL, and I don't necessarily disagree with financial controls to maintain competitive balance. However, I do feel that it's dangerous to strictly limit the earning potential of a player like Crosby. Not because it's unfair; but because some other league is going to step up and make a better offer.

Any other thoughts about the consequences of these entry-level signing constraints?

There are none. The NHL is the most prestigious hockey league in the world and if any player wants to go play in the boondocks it is their loss and not the NHL's.

mooseOAK*

Resolute said:
Besides, I thought the Toronto Marlies were going to pay Crosby $3 million a year. What happened to that "rumor"?
There's going to be a CBA and Crosby is going to be drafted, that's what happened to it.

A Good Flying Bird*

Montrealer said:
I still have grave doubt Croby or Ovechkin would snub the NHL, even if they can only make $850,000+ the first four years of their young careers.

I doubt it too.
but why play with fire.

Why shouldn't the Washington Capitals be allowed to compete with Moscow Dynamo?
If the Dynamo offer $2M, and Ovechkin says, I'll come to Washington for less, but not for $850, then then why shouldn't Washington have that opportunity.

This is not only about a player's right.
This about a team's ability to sign their draft picks.

A Good Flying Bird*

labatt50 said:
Everyone needs to pay their dues. I am not the biggest McCarty fan, but don't be so sure that Crosby will sell more tickets his first year than McCarty will his whole career. You are assuming that a)Crosby will be phenom that he is being built up to be and b) he will go to a team that has high fan support. McCarty might not sell a ton of tickets on the road, but he sure does in Detroit. He is definately a fan favorite.

Dude, talk to any Detroit fan. He's in the top three when fans start listing who will be bought out.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Newsguyone said:
This is not only about a player's right.
This about a team's ability to sign their draft picks.

Exactly. Which is why the rookie salary cap was implemented in the first place.

If Crosby and/or his agent has a problem with that, they should go kick Alexandre Daigle's ass.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Crosby has no leverage. The CBA Deal is the deal. Crosby wont go to Europe and risk his endorsement deals. He will just have to live on $850K per year for the 1st 4 years of his career. Poor Sidney. :cry:

A Good Flying Bird*

Digger12 said:
Exactly. Which is why the rookie salary cap was implemented in the first place.

If Crosby and/or his agent has a problem with that, they should go kick Alexandre Daigle's ass.

Perhaps you need a history lesson.
The rookie cap was agreed to because the owners caved the last time they wanted a salary cap. The PA threw them the rookie cap as a bone.
The owners pointed to it and said, "now we can control salaries from spiralling out of control"

Well now they have a salary cap. They can rest assured that no matter how stupid they are, they can't let costs go too whacky.
So the need for a rookie cap is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad