Why exactly do you think Malkin is an underrated as he is?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I had @Scandale du Jour, who read what I wrote and, I suspect, saw a similar collection of biases towards French Canadian players of past and present.

Doesn't mean OTHER people don't have their own biases, but let's not pretend that the English speaking Canadian hockey media isn't the most dominant voice in hockey media or that the impact of their biases isn't most pronounced.

Mario Lemieux and Maurice Richard being the biggest victims of that bias.

For Richard, it is culturally very deep.

Reactions: KIRK

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Haven't read through this thread, so it's probably already been said. Malkin is behind the face of the league.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
He's a third wheel in the narrative that the NHL has been selling for ten years Sid vs. Ovi. A three-way rivalry doesn't work, especially when two players are on the same team.

Combine that with everything else - being second fiddle to Sid and Ovi, not having the greatest English skills, never being the "Face" of a league or team, not being Canadian, and his history of injury - lots of factors that lead to him being overlooked.

And I bet he loves all this and can focus on destroying the opposition.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
It boils down to Russian bias imo

That being said, I'm glad he's not shoved down everybody's throats like Crosby is.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Back in 1970-1971 Orr was the talk of the NHL and Boston. A guy named Esposito was rarely mentioned yet he had 76 goals and 76 assists that season. The Bruins had all sorts of great players on that team yet the star was Orr. Same thing is happening with Malkin. He doesn't care. All he has to do is look at his bank account.

Reactions: KIRK

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada
Canadian media bias is probably the biggest reason. During the Pens Leafs game a couple days ago, the Hockey Night in Canada broadcasters literally said "You could argue that Geno has not been the most valuable player on his own team because Crosby has played as well as him"...completely ignoring the fact that Malkin has 11 more points and 17 more goals than Crosby in 4 less games and with 4 fewer empty net points than Crosby. These clowns are also the reason why Geno did not make the top 100 list.
That was Jim Hughson the same guy a few months ago that said Geno must be in the doghouse because he didn't start the powerplay while not realizing his line drew the penalty and they were out there for two minutes with the goalie at the bench. Anyone who's watched the Pens this year knows it Geno Phil and then Crosby. You know the sad thing for Geno is if you switch his and Crosby's stats in the playoffs last year Crosby would of still won the Smythe. The damn thing is a popularity contest. You take this year and you switch Malkin and Crosby's stats and Crosby would be winning the Hart Trophy no questions asked. I'm just hoping Geno get's the invite to the final 3 with Kucherov and McKinnon.

Treent1

Jun 5, 2017
Back in 1970-1971 Orr was the talk of the NHL and Boston. A guy named Esposito was rarely mentioned yet he had 76 goals and 76 assists that season. The Bruins had all sorts of great players on that team yet the star was Orr. Same thing is happening with Malkin. He doesn't care. All he has to do is look at his bank account.
Malkin has said very clearly that he cares

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
One thing that really stands out to me with Malkin is, among the art ross contenders, he easily has the least ATOI.

McDavivd has nearly 3 more mins per game.

Kucherov gets 1 more minute per game.

Mackinnon, 2 more minutes per game.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I’ll admit this one, maybe minor, quibble in regards to Malkin: Whether it’s a smart hockey decision or not, when Crosby & Malkin are both healthy, NHL coaches are going to make shutting down Crosby their #1 priority.

Sometimes Sid sees the top defenders, sometimes he doesnt... in years past teams simply put the best defenders on Sid and played "whack-a-Malkin" because Geno would get off his game trying to retailiate... that doesnt seem to work anymore, plus Geno does seem to rest injuries a bit better... he used to try to play through too much, leaving him extra suspetable to the dirty stuff

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
One thing that really stands out to me with Malkin is, among the art ross contenders, he easily has the least ATOI.

McDavivd has nearly 3 more mins per game.

Kucherov gets 1 more minute per game.

Mackinnon, 2 more minutes per game.

Yep, and he will play fewer games too than McDavid and Kucherov and have less shots on goals. His points per 60 min I believe are the best right now and he’s shooting like 18%+.....it’s crazy but still might not be good enough....

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Well I have a hard time buying the Crosby reasoning. KANE doesn't get overshadowed by Toews. Both get their fair share of praise

MadK

Mar 7, 2018
And I bet he loves all this and can focus on destroying the opposition.

He probably loves not being the focus of media attention, but the NHL 100 thing seems to have really bothered him. He may want to avoid the spotlight, but no one likes having their skills overlooked.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin cares that he wins, not that he gets props on HF or in the American press. :dunno:

He's thought about leaving when was about to be a free agent to have his own team, he's mentioned that much for sure in an interview not so long ago. But he knew that if he left, he would never have the success with winning like he has by staying. So on one hand it's "this is Geno's team, look at that superstar!" or "Look at one of the greatest 1-2 punch C's in the league winning their 3rd cup together and going for a 4th!"

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Because it's easy to look at Sid, Phil, and Letang and say "Geno has a lot of help" but what people fail to realize is that right now he's the guy opening matchups for other guys, not the other way around.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Maybe he could find his article using F3 (Find Files) on his computer.

F3 = Fail 3.3333333333333333

It can be anyone is the funniest part since RR hasn't a clue of the concept.

One thing that I have always wondered. Who filmed this and chose to release it? Obviously not Rossi or anyone with him as he looked so bad in it. The Pens? Another sports writer? Whoever it was released it knowing that it would destroy whatever reputation that RR had left.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Because it's easy to look at Sid, Phil, and Letang and say "Geno has a lot of help" but what people fail to realize is that right now he's the guy opening matchups for other guys, not the other way around.

Sully definitely has embraced the idea that HGH is, among other things, his best shutdown line to matchup against the other team's top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad