Why don't the owners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
This may really sound stupid, and it just might be, because I don't know much about bankruptcies, impasses in negociations, difference between laws that apply to an union or a syndicate... but I'd like to know what keeps the owners from just starting over ? To write their own CBA, invite scabs to play in their league ? After all the NHLPA ain't a syndicate, it's an union. They aren't forced to come to terms with these guys. It's their business and since there's no syndicate, they can do whatever they want with it no ? Just like one McDonald in Québec closed door only to start somewhere else after their employees decided they wanted a syndicate. Sure that would mean the players would go on strike, but then scabs could be brought in. What are the owners waiting for ? And if we assume that they could and would do that, would they be able to keep the Stanley Cup and NHL franchises trademarks ?

Just questions I have never found the answer to. Sorry if this is general knowledge.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
E = CH² said:
This may really sound stupid, and it just might be, because I don't know much about bankruptcies, impasses in negociations, difference between laws that apply to an union or a syndicate... but I'd like to know what keeps the owners from just starting over ? To write their own CBA, invite scabs to play in their league ? After all the NHLPA ain't a syndicate, it's an union. They aren't forced to come to terms with these guys. It's their business and since there's no syndicate, they can do whatever they want with it no ? Just like one McDonald in Québec closed door only to start somewhere else after their employees decided they wanted a syndicate. Sure that would mean the players would go on strike, but then scabs could be brought in. What are the owners waiting for ? And if we assume that they could and would do that, would they be able to keep the Stanley Cup and NHL franchises trademarks ?

Just questions I have never found the answer to. Sorry if this is general knowledge.

Their goal is to break the union. Gary Bettman was hired for that very reason, to take what he learned from union buster NBA commissioner David Stern and apply it to the NHLPA. He wanted to do it in 94 but the owners didn't have the stomachs for it.

NHL has tradition and history that gives its credibility. The owners know that. Now they want Bettman to make it a profitable business. You can only write off losses for so long.

MacDaddy TLC*

brand name would be one reason. They all have a lot invested in the NHL name and their individual franchise names.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
brand name would be one reason. They all have a lot invested in the NHL name and their individual franchise names.

Excellent point. Big time brand recognition.

NHL hockey will return but with some form of cost certainity model. Bettman will go with what he knows best - the NBA model, which has worked extremely well for its owners. NHL owners know it and that's why they hired Bettman and let him keep his job for so long. Unless the owners cave like in 94, there will be a cap. But Bettman won't cave. His mentor NBA commish David Stern didn't and he got what he wanted. The compromise might be a "soft cap".

MacDaddy TLC*

Chara, do you have any clue on the NBA free agency system? It seems that players can become free agents very early in their careers (thinking of guys like Shaq and Stoudamire who fled the Magic and Raptors respectively at very young ages).

chara

Mar 31, 2004
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Chara, do you have any clue on the NBA free agency system? It seems that players can become free agents very early in their careers (thinking of guys like Shaq and Stoudamire who fled the Magic and Raptors respectively at very young ages).

And don't forget McGrady. The Raptors would look real good now if he was still in Toronto.

Yes, I do know about this and so do the NHL owners especially the small market teams who need a cap but also need to develop young players. The NHLPA should be using this to re-start the negotiations. (i.e. if you want a hard cap, here's what we want.) It may force the owners to soften their stance.

The NHLPA has to get this going and part of it might be stirring the 'worst' of the cap right back in the owners faces. At the least, they might get some positive PR back their way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad