Why dont more players take the Umberger route

The Fuhr*

After said player is drafted wht dont prospects just wait it out and sign where they want like Umberger did. Its a question I have always wonderd. If I was a good prospect I would just wait it out and then sign with my favourit team when I got the chance. Is guarenteed money the reason this option barely occurs.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Fuhr86 said:
After said player is drafted wht dont prospects just wait it out and sign where they want like Umberger did. Its a question I have always wonderd. If I was a good prospect I would just wait it out and then sign with my favourit team when I got the chance. Is guarenteed money the reason this option barely occurs.

Umberger took a big chance by not signing. He could have easily not signed on with someone, or signed or for bargain basement money. There are no guarantees when you become a free agent. So "signing with my favourite team" isn't exactly an option.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Fuhr86 said:

Eric Lindros did that and got crushed for being a jerk for it.

The Fuhr*

Northern Dancer said:
Eric Lindros did that and got crushed for being a jerk for it.

Lindros demanded a trade. Umberger just did not come to terms with the Canucks and become a freeagent.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I were an 18 year old hockey player, I'd gladly sign the pro contract with whomever wanted me, favourite team be damned. It's a lot of money and playing in the NHL is too big of an opportunity to jeopardize in order to choose a destination.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Aside from the money, you've got to sit out for 3 years. You can play in Europe, juniors etc - but not in the NHL.

This sort of thing can be bad for a player's overall development and experience.

Umberger was drafted 16th overall in 2001 and is now 24 years old. Compare that to Mike Richards (24th in 2003) who is 21. While you can argue which of these guys is a better player and who'll be better in the long run, few people would argue that right now these guys are at about the same stage of development.

fr4ed2384

Jul 30, 2005
burgess1978 said:
Aside from the money, you've got to sit out for 3 years. You can play in Europe, juniors etc - but not in the NHL.

This sort of thing can be bad for a player's overall development and experience.

Umberger was drafted 16th overall in 2001 and is now 24 years old. Compare that to Mike Richards (24th in 2003) who is 21. While you can argue which of these guys is a better player and who'll be better in the long run, few people would argue that right now these guys are at about the same stage of development.
If you want to do that your probably better off to go the college route with the new CBA ... Play 2-3 yrs in college and then leave and not sign by the Aug 15 deadline

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
fr4ed2384 said:
If you want to do that your probably better off to go the college route with the new CBA ... Play 2-3 yrs in college and then leave and not sign by the Aug 15 deadline
Don't players re-enter the draft anymore?

Also - a college players must graduate before he can be a free agent. This takes 4 years.

Could someone shed some light on this part of the cba for me?

Transported Upstater

Stephen said:
If I were an 18 year old hockey player, I'd gladly sign the pro contract with whomever wanted me, favourite team be damned. It's a lot of money and playing in the NHL is too big of an opportunity to jeopardize in order to choose a destination.

Word.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Rj

fr4ed2384 said:

RJ had to sit out the 2003-2004 season because he couldn't come to terms with the Canucks. Remember, this is a guy who played 3 years at Ohio State and wound up playing no organized hockey during what would have been his senior year at college, a time when he was 21-22. Missing a year of hockey development at that age, not due to an injury is something that youngsters can't afford.

Had RJ signed with Vancouver, he would be a RFA this summer and be on his second NHL contract. Now, he's got 1 more year to go on his rookie deal.

Missing that year of hockey isn't easy for a young hockey player. Given the salary cap for rookie contracts, there's really no more reason for any player to go the RJ Umberger route. An extra 50 or 100K isn't going to be that big a deal. You want to get through the rookie deal and onto contract #2.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Fuhr86 said:

Umberger didn't do that, Brian Burke lowballed him, and he wouldn't sign. Umberger was then traded to NYR. Who chose not to offer him a contract and then became a UFA.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Attica said:
Umberger didn't do that, Brian Burke lowballed him, and he wouldn't sign. Umberger was then traded to NYR. Who chose not to offer him a contract and then became a UFA.

Burke offered him Kesler type money.. one of his many special special moves while in Vancouver.

I don't think the Rags had any interest in signing him.. They wanted the compensatory pick.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
BAuldie said:
Burke offered him Kesler type money.. one of his many special special moves while in Vancouver.
I think you just mistyped, but Burke offered him considerably less than Kesler.

Also, Umberger is a RFA this summer, he doesn't have one more year on his first contract.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
How?

Winston Wolf said:
I think you just mistyped, but Burke offered him considerably less than Kesler.

Also, Umberger is a RFA this summer, he doesn't have one more year on his first contract.

How can RJ be a RFA? Didn't he sign a standard 3 year rookie deal with the Flyers in 2004? That's the year the Nucks traded him at the deadline for Rucinsky. So last season he had to play in the AHL, and this year was his first in the NHL. So, his rookie deal should have 1 more year on it.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Street Hawk said:
How can RJ be a RFA? Didn't he sign a standard 3 year rookie deal with the Flyers in 2004? That's the year the Nucks traded him at the deadline for Rucinsky. So last season he had to play in the AHL, and this year was his first in the NHL. So, his rookie deal should have 1 more year on it.
Flyers Sign R.J. Umberger to Contract (06/16/2004)

The Philadelphia Flyers announced on Wednesday that they have signed 6’2â€, 200-pound unrestricted free agent center R.J. Umberger to a two-year entry-level contract, according to club General Manager Bob Clarke.

He didn't have to sign the standard three year rookie deal, he had all the rights of an UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad