Why doesn't the NHLPA want to look at the NHL's books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
tantalum said:
So your point essentially isn't a point at all. Atleast not yet. You don't know if this is going to kill hockey. That can't be said for quite some time yet.

the lockout has killed hockey so far ... no ?

dr

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
DementedReality said:

dr

Nope. It just isn't being played. Doesn't mean it's dead at all. I'd much rather have the problems fixed with no hockey now or this year than see a status quo/stop gap solution and hockey. Most I think would agree.

SENSible1*

tantalum said:
Nope. It just isn't being played. Doesn't mean it's dead at all. I'd much rather have the problems fixed with no hockey now or this year than see a status quo/stop gap solution and hockey. Most I think would agree.

Exactly.

No solution that really addresses the problems will be acceptable to the current leadership of the NHLPA, so Goodenow will end up costing his clients countless millions of dollars and do serious damage to the game until he is replaced.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
tantalum said:

again, my point remains, i have highlited the parts that you seem to ignore.

i dont think the price being paid is worth what it will take to win cost certainty.

i dont care if NYR, STL, CHI and BOS cant compete with OTT, CGY, SJS and VAN
and I am not happy to kill hockey to help them be better and richer.

dr

SENSible1*

DementedReality said:

i dont think the price being paid is worth what it will take to win cost certainty.

i dont care if NYR, STL, CHI and BOS cant compete with OTT, CGY, SJS and VAN and I am not happy to kill hockey to help them be better and richer.

dr

Bos won the northeast division last season.

St. Louis has made the playoffs for the last 100 years or so.

How exactly are these teams not competitive with your list of non-cup winners, especially flash in the pan Calgary?

If cost certainty (or any other system that seriously curtails spending) isn't adopted then you will have effectively killed NHL hockey in all but a precious few markets.

Last edited by a moderator:

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
If cost certainty (or any other system that doesn't seriously curtail spending) isn't adopted then you will have effectively killed NHL hockey in all but a precious few markets.

But don't you know... the markets that would be killed aren't really nhl calibre and thus should not be in the nhl to begin with :shakehead /end sarcasm

Jazz

Brian Burke has said repeatedly on Vancouver radio (and still does) that he has offered the NHLPA, even NHLPA president Trevor Linden (who plays for Vancouver) a chance to look at the Canucks books over the past few years, with Burke offering to pay for the audit himself - and noone has stepped forward. :shakehead

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Gurj said:
Brian Burke has said repeatedly on Vancouver radio (and still does) that he has offered the NHLPA, even NHLPA president Trevor Linden (who plays for Vancouver) a chance to look at the Canucks books over the past few years, with Burke offering to pay for the audit himself - and noone has stepped forward. :shakehead

How can Burke show him the books of a team he does not work for?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Dark Metamorphosis said:
Gary Bettman has said, I believe in a NY radio interview, that the NHL's books have been open to the nhlpa since 1999, yet they refuse to look at them.

How can anyone support the players when they refuse to even prove their own point? Are they scared they'll find that the owners are actually losing money? God I hate this damn union. At this point i'd almost rather have scabs than these greedy SOBs.

What? Why are you LYING? To try to get people on the OWNERS SIDE? They NEVER showed the PA the books..Bettman said they would show the PA there FINDINGS. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE considering the NHL findings is all garbage.

Jazz

hockeytown9321 said:
Not according to your original post.
Relax, it was a simple typo....

Gurj said:
change "...that he has offered the NHLPA...." to "....that he haD offered the NHLPA...."

Anyways, he even re-iterated it last night about his offers to Linden when he was the GM (if anyone is interested, I can post the link to the radio station's vault)

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Gurj said:
Relax, it was a simple typo....

change "...that he has offered the NHLPA...." to "....that he haD offered the NHLPA...."

Anyways, he even re-iterated it last night about his offers to Linden when he was the GM (if anyone is interested, I can post the link to the radio station's vault)

I'm not unrelaxed, but thanks. I merely responded to what you wrote. How was I supposed to know you made a typo? I don't listen to Vancouver radio. I don't know what Burke said.

Jazz

No worries. :)

If you are interested in listening, here it is:

To access the interview:
  • Go to www.cknw.com
  • Select "AUDIO VAULT" near the upper left.
    that should get you to this site: http://www.cknw.com/audiovault/audiovault.cfm
  • Select "THU NOV.25" under date: and "11pm" under hour and hit "GO".
    Windows Media player will open up.
  • Adjust the scroll on the bottom to "14:50" (corresponding to 11:14:50pm Vancouver time). He's on there every Thursday - and on the flip side they have Ray Ferarro on on Mondays

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Good listening.. I like Burke's take on things. His view is obviously on the owners side but unlike the NHL or the NHLPA he hides nothing and will discuss anything in a fair manner.

Where is the 'Brian Burke' on the players side anyways? I think it's pretty obvious why the PA has no one without a vested interest that speaks up for them. As most of us know, the union is hiding from obvious facts.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
DementedReality said:
No it sure hasnt. Nobody cared about hockey before and nobody cares about it now.

DementedReality said:

i dont care if NYR, STL, CHI and BOS cant compete with OTT, CGY, SJS and VAN and I am not happy to kill hockey to help them be better and richer.
Thats a really good point to make.

Not really much of a point. More like an opinion that many do not share.

But anyway I guess my point remains I dont care that you dont care cause I do care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad