Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, to be devil's advocate - lots of Leaf fans had the same stance last year with Laine. They would say he was injured so you can't say "he would have scored X amount of goals if was healthy". Basically the entire situation reversed and both sides want to use the argument the other side used the previous year.
The thing is Jets fans were so sure Laine would have scored at least 40 goals or more and won the Calder if he played all 82 games. In the end that never happened and I think that was their excuse to put down Matthews for winning it. So whatever goals Laine would have scored was all fictional talk.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sidney Crosby put up 102 points in his rookie season, and had only 1 less goal then Matthews thats another level. your picking 1 thing and trying to point to Matthews being as good. he simply is not. fans of this team need to understand that. you also seem to think because people say there on another level then Matthews implies that Matthews isn't good, which isn't true. the if he got 1 more point and never broke 80 comment well if people are comparing him to McDavid whose about to put up back to back 100 point season's as per his current pace, yes that would be an issue. it's like if everybody doesn't think Matthews is on par with anybody in the league it's a bias/hate against use which isn't true
Any rational Leafs fans know that McDavid is still the better player compared to Matthews. So I don't see it like comparing Matthews to him, because Matthews still scored 40 goals in his rookie season and to complain about him only getting 69 points and not 70 is really petty and an excuse for others to bash him.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If the NHL was a video game, the Leafs would be some pay-to-win advantage. People hate it. Although Montreal won the Cup in 1993, the Leafs from that point forward were the best Canadian team. The Leafs never had a draft pick worth a damn. Perhaps the best opportunity they had was a 10th overall used for Nik Antropov. They never were able to draft a game-breaker, but they bought their way to constant success. When I was a kid and the world was more fair, being rich was an aspiration. You wanted to look rich and flamboyant. Now, the rich are starving 40% of the population, and any resemblance of wealth is frowned up. The Leafs are like some heir of the Tim Horton's franchise. The hatred towards teams like Toronto were instrumental in bringing in the salary cap. There was rejoicing seeing the Leafs, after years of success with nothing in the cupboard, flounder in the JFJ-era. When Babcock was signed, there was a huge middle finger by many fans pointed to Toronto. Seeing the Leafs with $10.5 million in LTIR is like seeing some rich kid who just paid $200 for a pair of jeans with rips in them. As far as anyone else is concerned, he can sit alone on his computer being a wallet-warrior with no friends. People just don't like Toronto the spoiled rich kid.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The thing is Jets fans were so sure Laine would have scored at least 40 goals or more and won the Calder if he played all 82 games. In the end that never happened and I think that was their excuse to put down Matthews for winning it. So whatever goals Laine would have scored was all fictional talk.

He would of had he came to Toronto with Nylander as his center. Just saying.. :)

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It certainly isn't true for every Canadian. I myself am a Haligonian who moved to Toronto by choice as an adult, and have no intention of moving back until possibly retirement age, if ever.

Call me a Torontonian, but what the hell is a Haligonian?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
For the most part...

1) Largest fanbase, unfortunately this comes with a ****load of obnoxious morons.

I'll respectfully disagree. The Leafs fans I've met and seen have been great without exception. Have you ever been to a game with more than 2 Ducks fans attending? Anaheim seems to be obnoxious moron central.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A major thing, at least on HF, is mob mentality. Its the "cool" thing to do is trash and harass Leaf fans. You can see it in the "like" train on all the posts by the usual offenders. Then it feeds into itself where if enough people say one thing, everyone else starts to believe it.

When we drafted Anton Stralman, a Leafs fan posted a quote from Stralman's coach in Sweden where the coach said Anton reminded him of Lidstrom. A few trolls starting linking to this post saying that Leaf fans thought Stralman=Lidstrom, and it spread around the boards quickly. For the next two years it was brought up in every Leaf debate as an example of how Leaf fans over value their players. That's the big issue with trying to get around the anti-Leaf sentiment on the main boards, its so hard to fight stupidity mixed with ignorance.
Do you think the same thing will happen with Timothy Liljegren? Now compared to Stralman he was a 1st round pick and if it wasn't for him having bad luck with injuries and being sick in his draft year he might have been at least a top 5 pick and I remember in Bob McKenzie's pre-season draft rankings, he had Liljegren as the #2 pick behind Nolan Patrick. However when the Leafs selected him at #17 I remember Sam Cosentino saying he could be the steal of the draft based on his potential and that got non Leafs fans saying there they go overrating another one of their prospects, even though it was not any Leafs fans who said he could be the steal of the draft.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Most of them hate us cause we out number them vastly and they hate how loyal we are to the team.

They also have that “1 leafs fan” who’s so annoying so they just assume all leaf fans are like that.

It’s also out of jealousy, I mean we get a lot of the coverage and rightfully so. A lot of people who bitch whine and complain have no business sense and often don’t have a life, hockey is their escape from their miserable lives.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Do you think the same thing will happen with Timothy Liljegren? Now compared to Stralman he was a 1st round pick and if it wasn't for him having bad luck with injuries and being sick in his draft year he might have been at least a top 5 pick and I remember in Bob McKenzie's pre-season draft rankings, he had Liljegren as the #2 pick behind Nolan Patrick. However when the Leafs selected him at #17 I remember Sam Cosentino saying he could be the steal of the draft based on his potential and that got non Leafs fans saying there they go overrating another one of their prospects, even though it was not any Leafs fans who said he could be the steal of the draft.
The difference here being that plenty of Leaf fans have been going around on the prospect boards proclaiming him to be the steal of the draft, whereas none (save for 1 or 2 fanatics) were saying Stralman=Lidstrom. So, personally I don't think this and the Stralman situation are very similar.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Torontonians like to believe this but it is actually a myth perpetuated by Torontonians.

actually. being from Toronto, i can tell you we don't really think about or care what the rest of Canada thinks, but living out west for five years, I can tell you i heard a lot more grumble grumble Toronto/Ontario gripes. so no, it's not a myth necessarily.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
actually. being from Toronto, i can tell you we don't really think about or care what the rest of Canada thinks, but living out west for five years, I can tell you i heard a lot more grumble grumble Toronto/Ontario gripes. so no, it's not a myth necessarily.
Look at this YouTube video to see how much people in Vancouver hate the Leafs.

Reactions: Raging Bull

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

I guess you have to be from Toronto to "hear" the criticism. You say you don't really care but did you care when you heard all the grumble grumble Toronto/Ontario gripes living out west? Westerners grumble about everyone east of Sask. not just Tor/Ont.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I guess you have to be from Toronto to "hear" the criticism. You say you don't really care but did you care when you heard all the grumble grumble Toronto/Ontario gripes living out west? Westerners grumble about everyone east of Sask. not just Tor/Ont.

lol no. it was kinda amusing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
who cares.
i enjoy the hate sundae with extra whiny sprinkles.
My theory is if everyone hates the Leafs in Western Canada how do Leafs fans always get a lot of tickets for games in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg? The same can be said when they play in Ottawa and Montreal. I'm willing to bet a lot of their season ticket holders either sell their tickets to Leafs fans or just given away. So it makes them look like hypocrites complaining about Leafs fans taking over their arenas.

RandomAvsFan

Jun 27, 2016
Denver, Colorado
Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, Cowboys, Leafs, Bruins, Canadians, ect... When you are a rich team, with an incredible history, and lots of fans people tend to hate you. Just how it is. Couple that with the fact that more fans=more obnoxious fans and there you go.

You guys are such a intelligent, passionate fanbase and it's unfortunate a few bad apples skew people's views. I've have had some great interactions with Leaf fans and really enjoy lurking your board.

Hoping to visit Toronto in November and catch a Leaf game!

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
My theory is if everyone hates the Leafs in Western Canada how do Leafs fans always get a lot of tickets for games in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg? The same can be said when they play in Ottawa and Montreal. I'm willing to bet a lot of their season ticket holders either sell their tickets to Leafs fans or just given away. So it makes them look like hypocrites complaining about Leafs fans taking over their arenas.

transplants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad