Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This pretty much.

If you're in the Cali's its all about the LA, Anaheim, SJ hatred...
If you're in the east USA, NY, NJ , BOS, DET hatred...

For Toronto, it's just rest of Canada that has the hate for us.
Because 9/10 if you're in Canada... something relevant in your life is coming out of Toronto.

Whether you like it or not... Dat Trawna Hate is realll

Torontonians like to believe this but it is actually a myth perpetuated by Torontonians.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Torontonians like to believe this but it is actually a myth perpetuated by Torontonians.
It certainly isn't true for every Canadian. I myself am a Haligonian who moved to Toronto by choice as an adult, and have no intention of moving back until possibly retirement age, if ever.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It certainly isn't true for every Canadian. I myself am a Haligonian who moved to Toronto by choice as an adult, and have no intention of moving back until possibly retirement age, if ever.
I have lived on both coasts as well as a bit of time in other random spots across the country. I find Halifax to be far less resentful about Toronto then the people on the west coast who get annoyed at the mention of Toronto. I think a big part of it is nobody in Halifax really cares about Toronto that much where as in Vancouver they think they should be Toronto.

Reactions: Ib4n3z and Mugzy97

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Even though Matthews was 1 point away from 70 for last season, I think others use that as an excuse to keep putting him down. He still got 40 goals as a rookie and not even Sidney Crosby did that. Let's say he did get 70 points my feeling is others would say why didn't he get 80 points? So in the end there is no winning when it comes to that.

Sidney Crosby put up 102 points in his rookie season, and had only 1 less goal then Matthews thats another level. your picking 1 thing and trying to point to Matthews being as good. he simply is not. fans of this team need to understand that. you also seem to think because people say there on another level then Matthews implies that Matthews isn't good, which isn't true. the if he got 1 more point and never broke 80 comment well if people are comparing him to McDavid whose about to put up back to back 100 point season's as per his current pace, yes that would be an issue. it's like if everybody doesn't think Matthews is on par with anybody in the league it's a bias/hate against use which isn't true

Reactions: newfy

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
People hate Toronto in general. I say embrace it. I've lived all over Canada, including Calgary, Nova Scotia, northern Ontario and the GTA for long periods.

The hate is like people enjoying Tim Hortons - it's not because the coffee is good, it's because it's something that everyone does so it bonds people together with tradition.

The Leafs fanbase is about to explode in popularity again over the next 5 years as they become good on a yearly basis. The hate will only grow.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I have lived on both coasts as well as a bit of time in other random spots across the country. I find Halifax to be far less resentful about Toronto then the people on the west coast who get annoyed at the mention of Toronto. I think a big part of it is nobody in Halifax really cares about Toronto that much where as in Vancouver they think they should be Toronto.
Fair enough - I haven't spent any time west of Ontario, but the east coast definitely does seem pretty content to be its own corner of the world. I do try to stay away from sweeping generalizations like that, though.

---

At the end of the day, lots of people hate lots of things for lots of different reasons. Unless they're hurting you, it's probably best to either ignore them or to try and educate them. This thread is probably one that would have been best posted on the main boards anyway - Why are we asking Leafs fans why people hate the Leafs?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Sidney Crosby put up 102 points in his rookie season, and had only 1 less goal then Matthews thats another level. your picking 1 thing and trying to point to Matthews being as good. he simply is not. fans of this team need to understand that. you also seem to think because people say there on another level then Matthews implies that Matthews isn't good, which isn't true. the if he got 1 more point and never broke 80 comment well if people are comparing him to McDavid whose about to put up back to back 100 point season's as per his current pace, yes that would be an issue. it's like if everybody doesn't think Matthews is on par with anybody in the league it's a bias/hate against use which isn't true

What if you look at it from the perspective of not caring about individual trophies and records?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I see Torontians decorating their minivan with Red Wings flags, bumper stickers, etc. I can't for the life of me understand it other then their son/cousin/nephew plays for the Detroit franchase. Then I see the same people wearing San Jose Sharks jerseys. I see them as being fools who bend anyway the wind is blowing. I certainly don't want them as Leaf fans.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Part of the hate has to do with contempt for major cities.

Many come here and are stressed out and overwhelmed.

Others come and see desparities like wealth and poverty (add mental illness and addiction to that). As well as beauty and abjection. Those disparities take getting used to, but people tend to turn that into hate.

Also human nature: it's easy to hate. It's difficult to treat people with respect and dignity.

Lol, I'm a Leafs fan and I absolutely hate the city of Toronto and the weirdos that live there. I do everything I can to avoid the city.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I see Torontians decorating their minivan with Red Wings flags, bumper stickers, etc. I can't for the life of me understand it other then their son/cousin/nephew plays for the Detroit franchase. Then I see the same people wearing San Jose Sharks jerseys. I see them as being fools who bend anyway the wind is blowing. I certainly don't want them as Leaf fans.

Maybe they grew up watching Federov, Yzerman, Hull, Lidstrom, Datsyuk?

Maybe it’s a junior team that uses that logo?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not much different than the reason people hate the Yankees/Red Sox, Lakers/Celtics, Patriots/Cowboys

These are the biggest, most popular, most profitable, most discussed and biggest legacy franchises of their respective leagues.

There is an inherent hatred / jealousy of the biggest dogs in the game across all sports.

As the haters will tell you, those teams have all won in the modern era which puts the Leafs in a separate yet similar category.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Fair enough - I haven't spent any time west of Ontario, but the east coast definitely does seem pretty content to be its own corner of the world. I do try to stay away from sweeping generalizations like that, though.

---

At the end of the day, lots of people hate lots of things for lots of different reasons. Unless they're hurting you, it's probably best to either ignore them or to try and educate them. This thread is probably one that would have been best posted on the main boards anyway - Why are we asking Leafs fans why people hate the Leafs?

Oh, they hate us out west. I've lived south of Calgary and I visit there all the time. The hate is real and often makes no sense at all and isn't Leafs specific. You just have to deal with it if you're ever out there.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
What if you look at it from the perspective of not caring about individual trophies and records?

well personal records help teams win first and foremost, but if you break down McDavid/Crosby/Matthews the individual skillsets Matthews is clearly the weakest, and both the others are seen as guys with exceptional character off the ice, so make the case.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Crosby make pens better, Mathews makes leafs better, McDavid puts up a ton of points, but does he make Oilers better? I rather have a Selke winner then a Richard winner, how many cups does Ovi have, how many Richard has he won, lots. Babcock has coached a few Selke winners, my guess is Mathews will have one someday. Sorry off track, but annoyed at the comparisons.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't get the question. Everyone loves the Leafs, they can be found in every other teams barn cheering us on.

Opposing teams fans may hate us because of that though. Its quite annoying for them. Just like Habs fans at Leafs games.

member 147413

Cause we have a lot of annoying/obnoxious fans and the media covers us more than other teams.

Reactions: AnishLoomba

leafsfaninthepeg

Dec 1, 2015
As a Leafs diehard living in Winnipeg, I can tell you without a doubt it is absolute hell. Family, friends, people I don't even know taking shots at me because of who I choose to cherr for. One person told me that I have no reason to be cheering for Toronto since I live in Winnipeg. I should be cheering for the Jets (which I do, just not when they play the Leafs). Another one said that Leafs fans have no common sense. During the colossal collapse that was Game 7 vs Boston, the hate was flying at me from every end imaginable.
I have been a fan of the Leafs since I was young enough to know what hockey was. I stand by my team, good and bad, with no apologies to anyone that has a problem with it.

Jun 27, 2005
There are two kinds of Leaf fans. Those who understand the game at a high level and those who are like my mom. My mom has watched pretty well every Leaf game since before we won our last cup. I played hockey at a high level and she missed one game in 17 years. She has watched a lot of hockey live and on TV, but she has no clue. She watches the puck. She has very little knowledge of proper positioning, defense, coaching tactics, etc. But she’s a Leaf fan because it’s part of our Canadian culture. Unfortunately because of this cultural thing and the Leaf’s history there are an enormous number of puck watchers in Leaf Nation and on HF. Now on HF these people are obsessed with the Leafs and have thousands and thousands of posts consuming every thread with their nonsense. When these people start obsessing about stats or Corsi or this player is great or whatever the latest Homer love fest of the week is it makes us all look bad.

That’s why everyone hates the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
There are two kinds of Leaf fans. Those who understand the game at a high level and those who are like my mom. My mom has watched pretty well every Leaf game since before we won our last cup. I played hockey at a high level and she missed one game in 17 years. She has watched a lot of hockey live and on TV, but she has no clue. She watches the puck. She has very little knowledge of proper positioning, defense, coaching tactics, etc. But she’s a Leaf fan because it’s part of our Canadian culture. Unfortunately because of this cultural thing and the Leaf’s history there are an enormous number of puck watchers in Leaf Nation and on HF. Now on HF these people are obsessed with the Leafs and have thousands and thousands of posts consuming every thread with their nonsense. When these people start obsessing about stats or Corsi or this player is great or whatever the latest Homer love fest of the week is it makes us all look bad.

That’s why everyone hates the Leafs.

You are pretty much describing the majority of every fan bases.
Can you name one fan base who doesn't think their young stars can be the next so and so and their top players are either elite or just one or two years away from being the best.

I live in Vancouver and Boeser is pretty much the new Ovie and Horvat is Toews 2.0, while Demko is going to be the new Price....oh, I almost forgot the Great Jake, who is going to become the best Power Forward in the League any time now.

Every media in every hockey craze market will fuel their fan bases with all sort of fire. It just so happened that Leafs Nation is the biggest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad