Why does Al Strachan hate hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
"Now the game is back in its more exciting form, and in Canada, where fans always were going to give it a second chance, it's more popular than ever.

But in the United States, where Bettman killed the market, the fans are not coming back.

They found something else to do last year -- the Dark Year that didn't need to happen had Bettman simply instituted the on-ice changes when hockey people were urging him to do so."

Really?

03-04 Attendance

05-06 Attendance

12 of the 24 American markets have higher attendance in 05-06 than in 03-04. 3 have essentially the same attendance as 03-04 (NYR @ 99.3% Capacity, Colorado @ 100% capacity, and Buffalo). 2 teams have had modest decreases (LA @ 95.8% capacity has 131 fewer people per game and Dallas @ 94.5% Capacity has 844 fewer people per game). 17 of 24

Columbus had a decrease in attendance but has still had 91.7% capacity which, to me, is impressive after a lockout and considering the injuries and misery that team has faced this season.

That's 12 teams with increased, 3 the same, 2 modest decreases with 95% capacity and one with 92% capacity despite the 29th worst team. it could certainly be better, but that's 75% of the US teams that, in my book, had their fans come back and then some. I don't know about everyone else, but about 9-10 months ago I would have thought those numbers would be impossible to attain in the US.

The other 6 teams that had decreases? Phoenix (22nd in pts), St. Louis (30th in pts/ownership turmoil), New Jersey (17th in pts), Anaheim (18th in pts/rumored firesale), NY Islanders (24th in pts/antiquated arena), and Washington (27 in pts). Imo, the attendance would be better in most of these cities were their teams better. I guess you could say the lockout made teams like STL worse because of their contracts, but I don't think the fans aren't going to the games in STL because they are disillusioned by the lockout. That's a proven hockey city.

Also, here's an article for everyone's reading pleasure/displeasure that makes a lot of similar points, but in a more middle ground kind of way...

Still Work In Progress, New NHL On Track

"The new rules and enforcement standards, plus the salary cap and the realigned financial order, have created an NHL that in the first few months is a significant improvement over the pre-lockout product.

Those who won't admit that are entitled to their opinions, but are most likely either: (a) against anything the perceived bogeyman, Gary Bettman, supports; (b) wildly unrealistic; or, (c) fans of the University of Calgary Dinosaurs, because the mascot represents their philosophies."

"No other sport gets knocked so much by its own constituency. If the term is stretched to include media specializing or at least those seriously interested in the sport, members of hockey's press corps aren't nearly as sycophantic as those who cover the other major sports. Plus, there is a wide array of opinions -- from the press box, the arena seats or in front of the television at any given moment -- about what's right and what's wrong with the game.

That's a nice way of saying that virtually regardless of what the NHL does, somebody who makes a living covering it or working within it is going to rip it.

Loudly.

Some of the criticism has to do with the continuing resentment of a "New York lawyer," Bettman, serving as commissioner."

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Crazy_Ike said:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Strachan/2006/01/10/1387346-sun.html

This is the second article in a row (and about the thousandth overall) from this so-called hockey "expert" that does nothing but bash people Al personally doesn't like, heavy on the personal attacks and light on actual facts.

How does this guy keep his job? CBC knew enough to fire him, when will the Sun follow suit?

:confused:
A post that uses no facts and bashes Al Strachan for using no facts and bashing people. Comedic genius is afoot.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Those who won't admit that are entitled to their opinions, but are most likely either: (a) against anything the perceived bogeyman, Gary Bettman, supports; (b) wildly unrealistic; or, (c) fans of the University of Calgary Dinosaurs, because the mascot represents their philosophies."

Sounds like he could have been speaking about Strach directly, without using his name. The last line supports this as well.

Weary said:
A post that uses no facts and bashes Al Strachan for using no facts and bashing people. Comedic genius is afoot.

You're still sore over your performance here during the lockout. The facts that contradict your hero Al have already been posted many times, including by the poster above you. Go back to the rock you were hiding under.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Crazy_Ike said:
You're still sore over your performance here during the lockout. The facts that contradict your hero Al have already been posted many times, including by the poster above you. Go back to the rock you were hiding under.

You mean the poster that said the following?: "12 of the 24 American markets have higher attendance in 05-06 than in 03-04.... it could certainly be better, but that's 75% of the US teams that, in my book, had their fans come back and then some."

12/24 = 75%? Is that what you consider facts?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Only someone as dispicable as yourself would deliberately cut out the part of the quote that included the rest of the 75% in order to pretend he was incorrect. That is as dishonest as it gets.

That's 12 teams with increased, 3 the same, 2 modest decreases with 95% capacity and one with 92% capacity despite the 29th worst team. it could certainly be better, but that's 75% of the US teams that, in my book, had their fans come back and then some.

18/24 is in fact 75%.

Your rock is thataway, hater.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Crazy_Ike said:
Only someone as dispicable as yourself would deliberately cut out the part of the quote that included the rest of the 75% in order to pretend he was incorrect. That is as dishonest as it gets.
But you see, I wasn't being dishonest. The dishonesty was saying that six teams without attendance increases "had their fans come back and then some."

18/24 is in fact 75%.
But 18 of the 24 teams do not have higher attendance, only 12 do.
That's a fact -- an honest fact.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I see no reason to continue to derail the thread answering you. You showed your colors when you snipped out the relevent information in that fellow's post (if you weren't interested in being dishonest, you wouldn't have needed to make the conscious effort to remove it from the middle of your text, would it? Liar.)... but your reputation here is so bad after the tripe you posted during the lockout it hardly needed to be pointed out. I'll just let you go on pretending you have some sort of point.

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
Weary said:
But you see, I wasn't being dishonest. The dishonesty was saying that six teams without attendance increases "had their fans come back and then some."

But 18 of the 24 teams do not have higher attendance, only 12 do.
That's a fact -- an honest fact.

"75% of the US teams that, in my book, had their fans come back and then some."

I didn't say 75% had higher attendance. I said 75% had their fans come back. 12 teams with increase (the "and then some"), 3 teams the same (the "fans came back") and I cited three teams that had modest decrease that are still performing well with 92%+ capacity that in my opinion had their fans come back. 75% in my book had their fans come back.

Let's just say that no one but me counts the 3 teams with 92%+ capacity filled (Dallas, LA, and Columbus) as having their "fans come back". That's still 63% of teams with same or higher attendance which still, in my opinion, negates Al's "But in the United States, where Bettman killed the market, the fans are not coming back."

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I've posted this before, but this example should tell you all you need to know about Strachan - he writes fiction.

Take this gem from Strachan:

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030117/col_strachan-sun.html

"At the time of the original blockbuster, Neil Smith, then the Rangers general manager, couldn't pull the trigger on a proposed deal and Bure was lost.

For that matter, so was Smith. Largely because of his failure to acquire Bure, he was fired after the following season.

There had been a deal on the table for months. The Canucks would have sent Bure to New York for three prospects --- Jamie Lundmark, Pavel Brendl and Dan Cloutier. But Smith said he couldn't trade away his future."

The problem is, of course, the Bure trade took place 5 months before Brendl and Lundmark were drafted.

'Nuff said.

Wetcoaster

In the newspapers he is a columnist - his job is to write opinion pieces and stir up controversy.

On HNIC he was commentator and again he was paid to express opinions. IIRC he was not fired.

After watching the dismal Pierre LeBrun of CP on Satellite Hot Stove, I long for the return of Strachan - at least he had something to say even if it was often inane.

ResidentAlien*

Wetcoaster said:
In the newspapers he is a columnist - his job is to write opinion pieces and stir up controversy.

On HNIC he was commentator and again he was paid to express opinions. IIRC he was not fired.

After watching the dismal Pierre LeBrun of CP on Satellite Hot Stove, I long for the return of Strachan - at least he had something to say even if it was often inane.

His contract with CBC was not renewed. So, technically not fired. More like not re-hired :D

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
As long as humans have existed they have feared and hated things they can't comprehend. Al Strachan is no different even though his DNA-print is closer to a chimp than homo sapiens.

Fugu

Pepper said:
As long as humans have existed they have feared and hated things they can't comprehend. Al Strachan is no different even though his DNA-print is closer to a chimp than homo sapiens.

Ah man, you would use the chimp, an animal that has 99% and then some 'homology' to that of humans. It can't get any closer. Now, if you had said gorilla or orangutan....we might get a 2% difference to work with here. :)

Strachan's schtick is to question the status quo, to go against the flow. If he said the NHL was the best thing invented since apple pie, it would be a one line story and he'd be out of job. And if it were true, the NHL would be bigger than the NFL and the MLB.

Wetcoaster

ResidentAlien said:
His contract with CBC was not renewed. So, technically not fired. More like not re-hired :D
Just like Strach's good buddy Brian Burke. Life is a circle.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
Just like Strach's good buddy Brian Burke. Life is a circle.

You sure are bitter, maybe you should try talking to a shrink or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad