why do you support owners or players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
just curious- it appears there's about an 80% owner support percentage amongst hockey fans, and i was wondering (mainly from the PA supporters) why you choose the side you choose.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Well I'm not pro PA but I will respond to your question with a copy of a thread I started awhile back. Many people missed the point because they didn't read it all (gee...that is surprising) but I know a lot of people feel the same way I do about it.

Sinurgy said:
Why So Many Support the Owners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there are several people who do support the NHLPA and have made some good points but the overwhelming majority from what I've seen are behind the owners. Here is why I think that is the case. In a nutshell the owners want to fix the league and make hockey better, the players don't seem to care about the league at all.

Now I understand the owners don't really care about hockey itself, they just care about fixing the current situation so it will result in a better product which in turn will line their pockets. That is hardly a noble cause but to a fan the end result is still the same, the game will be in much better shape if the owners get their way. As a fan, that is what I care about, I care about the game getting better. The players on the other hand don't seem too concerned about the product they are putting on the ice, they seem only concerned about their money. I would expect that type of "who cares about hockey" attitude from owners but to see it coming from the players is pretty disappointing. Perhaps my mistake is placing players on a pedastal and expecting more of them. Turns out they are just as greedy as the owners. So all things being equal I might as well side with the plan that will help fix the NHL rather than hurt it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
aren't you that guy from the Bruins board? The only side I care about is the one you left out (typical Bruins fan) the third one- the fans. They deserve competitive balance, fair ticket prices, a great product unlike what we've seen the last 10 years. The other two are necessary but really the fans of the supposed 4 majors in hockey are the most important- because its a gate driven game and without fannies in the seats they can fight over 50% of nothing. BTW- who the heck are your Bruins going to put on the ice? they have no players, the lousy louts Jacoby or whatever his name is :D

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
DKH said:
aren't you that guy from the Bruins board? The only side I care about is the one you left out (typical Bruins fan) the third one- the fans. They deserve competitive balance, fair ticket prices, a great product unlike what we've seen the last 10 years. The other two are necessary but really the fans of the supposed 4 majors in hockey are the most important- because its a gate driven game and without fannies in the seats they can fight over 50% of nothing. BTW- who the heck are your Bruins going to put on the ice? they have no players, the lousy louts Jacoby or whatever his name is :D

as always, you make an eloquent and compelling response. i hope that hockey comes back this year so that you can eat your mint chocolate chip ice cream cones that jacobs sells mainly for your consumption :D
with regards to players/owners/fans, obviously 100% of 100% of us (follow that? :joker: ) care about the fans the most. but the first response to my post was an excellent way to describe why most people back the owners. i'm interested to hear from those PA people- i've seen about 6-7 of them who are slightly (this is a huge understatement :D ) vocal about who they support.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The player supporters on this board are way more convincing than the players themselves or their representatives have been through this entire process. The PA has just never communicated well to me WHY they take such a hardline stance other than apparent selfishness. The owners are far from saints but at least they TRY to make sense to the fans. I don't see the players winning anyway so I just want them to give up already. *sigh*

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I support the Owners because in a sick, sad way they aren't getting a fair shake. No two-way Arbitration? Joke! If a player can file for arbitration, it should be the right of the owner to declare a similar thing, because for every over-achieving, underpaid athlete, there's one under-achieving, overpaid athlete out there.

Even the pro-players seem to think all owners are ruthless and evil. Sorry, There aren't 30 Bill Wirtz's in the NHL guys, so quick acting like there is. As well, All 30 owners aren't responsible for driving up NHL salaries around the league, I've said it before and it sucks to have to reiterate: A few owners are to blame for inflated salaries, As well, a few players are to blame for being greedy in this sense. NOT ALL

Vic Rattlehead*

I couldn't care less about each side, but I think the NHLPA is all screwed up.

mooseOAK*

Sinurgy said:
Well I'm not pro PA but I will respond to your question with a copy of a thread I started awhile back. Many people missed the point because they didn't read it all (gee...that is surprising) but I know a lot of people feel the same way I do about it.
Right, because we all know that the owners invested millions of dollars into something that they don't care about.

The owners because we all know that revenues are and will be flat for the foreseeable so player salaries need to be kept in check. Basic, really.

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
idealistically, i'm for the players. goodnow and so called negotiations make it hard to support them, however.

i support the players because i think it is right that one make what another is willing to pay. obviously, the owners have been willing to pay the players, sometimes too much for the hockey business to support.

the owners are all wealthy without hockey. they acquired their wealth through discipline and through being aggressive. however they seem to be more undisciplined when it comes to their hockey teams, because they are competing against each other. it is their choice to pay too much and that is the bottom line (and any successful business man is going to have the bootom line in clear view at all times). but they are fans, too, and they want to win. when pressure is on, they take too many risks that don't pay off. that is their decision, but a difficult one to turn down.

that being said, the players have not only a union which collectively represents their interests, but they have agents who are aggressive in pressuring the owners for as much money as possible, playing one owner off another. ultimately, the players are getting what they are able to get, no matter how obscene it seems to others. i think we are all like the players, trying to get the best deal we can.

the problem is the system, and that's what bettman is trying to change. i believe a huge part of the roadblock he's running into is the PA's total mistrust of the owners. it's almost as though the league is trying to change things too fast. it would probably be good for bettman to try to negotiate a deal *based* on the player's december 9th proposal, but with an eye toward building trust between the players and the owners (don't ask me how, i have absolutely no clue.... but that doesn't have any bearing on the idea), encouraging (without collusion) owners to be more fiscally responsible (maybe owners shouldn't be allowed to use any outside money to support their teams, only what the team earns - again, i'm clueless here).

basically the owners have to learn to keep it in their pants.

sorry for the long ramble, but i hope some of this was clear.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I suppose I support the owners, but its very grudingly. Both sides have acted like utter fools.

However, I have never seen a "union" that is so hypocritical and dysfunctional. My grandfather was in a union and the practices that this "union" maintains, is far from what his believed in. I thought it was - we all work, or no one works. Not - well, lets fight for a good deal while playing in leagues that have what we are fundamentally against, while many of our bretheren are out of a job. How is that being united? It seems to me like it is all about the money....period, whether that comes from the NHL or not.

Really, the only reason I am owner-leaning is because of what I just mentioned, and the fact that regardless of the owners idiotic stance - they are right concerning the health of the league. They are losing huge amounts of money and the league cannot survive, as it stands, with the current CBA in place.

Too bad the owners won't go for any meaningful revenue sharing, though........

:shakehead

They are all fools, and it hurts us the fans the most.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I am pro fan which means I want the product to be better (no more traps or obstruction). I also want to see the league survive.

They need national recognition so it is understandable to be overexpanded. That is so they can get that TV contract windfall, and it will likely take 20 years post-expansion to get enough recognition for a good TV revenue negotiation (it starts with the children who are learning hockey where hockey is in the local market).

Overexpansion requires support to the weaker teams and does lower overall product quality be it baseball or hockey; I am willing to accept that as long as there are no other drags on the quality like halfcourt game in basketball. Overexpansion all means revenue sharing. IMO the best option is 65/35 gate receipts. The big market teams need the competition to play against and it is in their best interest to grow overall revenue. It should be a long-term investment for all involved both players and owners. They both need to leave enough revenue to grow the game.

If they don't grow prohockey, prohockey won't survive in North America. By pursuing the CBA in the way they have, I am not happy with either side.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
10 years ago when the last CBA was negotiated the owners had a fat tv deal and were living in Beverly Hills and it turned out to be very fortunate for that group of players hoever, the owners now live in Podunk, LA and this group of players are not that fortunate--they may think they deserve more but like william money said right before he put a bullet in Little Bill's head "Deserves got nothing to do with it" -thats the breaks

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
I guess I'm on the owners side, not because of some sort of ideological attachment to the owners or a contempt for players. I just think the basic overall economic system for the NHL is flawed and that the solutions (as I preceive them) appear to be more on the owners side than the players side. I want the players to be able to make as much money as they can in their limited playing careers (as they need to provide for the long-term support of their families), but I would like a more equitable playing field for all parties.

Flat and simple, I don't care how the system got as flawed as it has. Just fix it! And I think it is better fixed from the owner's proposals than the players. And this is coming from someone who represented migrant farm workers during labor negotiations in California (among other cases I handled).

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I can't proudly say I support either side since I think they each deserve a pox on their house for this lockout. I can respect the fact that each side is rich however as a fan it is my expectation that they will divide their $2 billion amongst themselves without a work stoppage.

That said I consider myself to be anti-owner more than anything else. This is mostly because I think the owners are collectively a bunch of sleezebags who expect us to believe that what is good for them is good for the game. The old system did have massive payroll disparities, but how much a player made wasn't always reflective of their value on the ice. Old players were expensive and young players were cheap. This produced a system of players who were paid alot relative to what they brought to the team and of players who were not paid alot and made signifigant contributions to a team. Being able to distinguish between the two was something that good organizations were able to do. The owners want to blow that system up in favour of a salary cap system. While they might spin it as "wanting competitive balance" they really wanted it so that the could have a greater portion of the $2 billion the NHL would have generated this year.

My experience as a Sens fan also made me alot more cynical of the owners. Five years ago Rod Bryden had me in his back pocket as he grandstanded in front of the federal government trying to get a subsidy out of them. After all, as the owner of a poor Canadian team Bryden's needs were in my own interest as a hockey fan. Two years later I turned on the news to discover that he was trying to sell the team for over $200 million, a pretty nice financial gain for a pauper who had to go before the federal government. But the instance that really turned me off was during the bankruptcy fiasco of 2003, Bryden had tried so hard to buy back a team that he had threatened to sell to American interests a few years earlier. To top it off his greatest competition was a Canadian who had every intention of keeping the team in Canada's Capital, mostly on the grounds that Ottawa was the best place to have the hockey team from a financial point of view.

Sure Bryden was just one crooked owner. And I suppose his only crime was spreading half truths which was nothing compared to the likes of John Rigas or Bruce McNall who had committed acts of fraud of 10s of millions of dollars. However looking back on the whole experience I couldn't have helped but to feal manipulated. It's that lack of trust that makes me remember that NHL owners were crying poverty during the 1992 players strike shortly after Alan Eagleson was removed has NHLPA executive director, and that they were crying poverty during the 1970s when the WHA was driving up salaries, and during the 1950s when Ted Lindsay was trying to form a players union. The death of the NHL has been just around the corner for about as long as the NHL has existed. The only real difference this time is that the players are millionaires, however the rhetoric is the same.

Ulitimately I can't bring myself to trust the owners. Sure Madono says stupid things about his dog and Yashin doesn't deserve his contract. But at least Yashin and Madono are regularly exposed for the frauds that they are, unlike the owners who seem to get a free pass from most fans.

Brent Burns Beard