Why do the Oilers have difficulty drawing power plays?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was looking at team stats earlier and the Oilers have the least amount of power plays drawn and by a fair margin at that:

View attachment 97611

10 less than the 30th ranked team in that department. Now I know our power play isn't very good but it's baffling how this team, with Connor McDavid, cannot seem to get calls. If someone has the time, can they check how many times the Oilers have had less PPs than their opponent and the number of times they didn't have a power play at all?

Other than McDavid getting shafted night after night, not a huge surprise. We have one of the slower teams in the league, and slow teams don't tend to draw a whole lot of fouls. Slower teams tend to take more penalties than they draw, and in a league that is headed to warp speed, we're being left behind.

Well done, Mr Chiarelli. Read the tea leaves big time wrong.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Other than McDavid getting shafted night after night, not a huge surprise. We have one of the slower teams in the league, and slow teams don't tend to draw a whole lot of fouls.
You would think this is true but if you look at the list of the top 50 guys who draw penalties it has as many muckers as speed demons. Matthew Tkachuk leads the league by a fair bit with Timo Meier in second. Meier's a pretty good skater but he's also a big guy who like to muck it up. Tom Wilson is in 5th. I suspect that the NHL refs are as likely to call a penalty in a static battle as they are when guys are in full motion.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
You know the old Japanese saying "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down?" Well McDavid is that nail and the league isn't interested in protecting its stars because it would mess with their precious ideas of parity. Plus most of the old dudes in positions of influence are themselves ex-grinders who think four or five slashes across the hands is just good old hard-nosed old-time hockey.

Please don't compare Connor to Yakupov. Ones a special generational player the other is a wasted first overall pick.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
How can they draw anything when they stand around like pylons 90% of the game?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Our PP's are cringy to watch. Don't think the NHL is in the business to sell that type of product

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You would think this is true but if you look at the list of the top 50 guys who draw penalties it has as many muckers as speed demons. Matthew Tkachuk leads the league by a fair bit with Timo Meier in second. Meier's a pretty good skater but he's also a big guy who like to muck it up. Tom Wilson is in 5th. I suspect that the NHL refs are as likely to call a penalty in a static battle as they are when guys are in full motion.

Let me clarify. Useless slow guys.:)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Just once I want to see the entire team just skate off the ice, mid game, in protest. Mcdavid alone should be drawing 4+ PP per game.

I agree a lot of penalties on McDavid go uncalled, but with the exception of McDavid I think that we get screwed over by calls just as much as the other teams in the league.

Remember when everyone used to say Crybaby Crosby? The kid was getting the short end of the stick and he was sick and tired of it just like McDavid does. If Crosby had to find a way to work through it, I'm pretty sure McDavid is as well and we're going to have to learn to live with it.

EDIT: Also - I think that a lot of our other players would be drawing a lot more penalties if we were a faster team. Whether that mean skating faster or making decisions faster to get the opposition more uncomfortable more often and pressuring them into making mistakes that lead to penalties.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The NHL cares about one thing only keeping as many American teams in the race to keep attendance up as long as they can why they will never rid of the loser point or call the games fairly they know Canadian fans show up so we don't matter .

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The NHL cares about one thing only keeping as many American teams in the race to keep attendance up as long as they can why they will never rid of the loser point or call the games fairly they know Canadian fans show up so we don't matter .

If you take out Chicago, Boston, NYR and the Canadian teams then the NHL will become bankrupt in a few years. People in non traditional hockey markets only support their team when it's winning.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
One power play this game and it wasn’t even a full one. A meaningless one after we were losing. Steve Kozari was reffing, same guy who McDavid chirped when we played Calgary.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Too many slow players to draw penalties, they'd have to be skating consistently. You need to be the one initiating the play.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
In the past 10 games the Oilers have had a grand total of 14 power plays. The opposition has had 29. How does that happen?

Did you see Gene's interview with Bettman? He deflected the McDavid question and instead went on about how great the competitiveness of the league is and how there are many new stars. He deflected the officiating and how it was just the odd mistake.

He's going to leave McDavid to rot up here.

management, Katz, and the coaches better start doing some complaining.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Easy one to answer...two separate rule books.

This is the one for the Oilers:
thick-book-11450178.jpg

This is the one for the rest of the league when playing the Oilers:

Organisationsbuch_Sta_4.jpg

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
It's not like they have the fastest player in the league though, can't expect them to draw penalties that easily. Oh wait...K you can elbow him in the head and tackle him, just don't stab him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Who has a bunch of time on their hands and PVRed a bunch of games?

Make that super cut.
Be our hero.
Kill the refs.

Oh, I went too far.

But the first two!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Crazy to think, but it may have started with Carlyle. He planted the seed with refs that McDavid has been getting special treatment. Our org has never responded and the rules for McDavid drawing a call and even for our team as a whole has been consistently altered since that series. But our GM and coach just keep smiling and taking it.

Reactions: Aerrol

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Slow, unskilled teams tend to take more penalties and draw less. With that being said, McDavid should be drawing way more penalties than he currently is.

Reactions: McDaddy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yet Tkachuk leads the league right now in penalties drawn. Makes sense, right?
He has a very nice penchant for getting under the skin of the opposition. Something we SHOULD have in Lucic/Kassian. But the only skin they get under is that of the fans who watch them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->