Why do the Oilers have difficulty drawing power plays?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I was looking at team stats earlier and the Oilers have the least amount of power plays drawn and by a fair margin at that:

upload_2018-2-13_8-6-21.png

10 less than the 30th ranked team in that department. Now I know our power play isn't very good but it's baffling how this team, with Connor McDavid, cannot seem to get calls. If someone has the time, can they check how many times the Oilers have had less PPs than their opponent and the number of times they didn't have a power play at all?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
one side I think there has been several dozen calls that the oilers should have gotten

other side is when you don't have the puck its hard to draw penalties.

imagine we had positive possession players to keep control of the puck in the offensive zone? im thinking guys like eberle, or even pouliot would be a good problem to have,

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You know the old Japanese saying "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down?" Well McDavid is that nail and the league isn't interested in protecting its stars because it would mess with their precious ideas of parity. Plus most of the old dudes in positions of influence are themselves ex-grinders who think four or five slashes across the hands is just good old hard-nosed old-time hockey.

Reactions: dustrock and TB12

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Who knows, refs have been **** to us all year and last playoffs.

Should call out the refs like Calgary did it worked for them.

I said this before, but the difference is Calgary has someone with influence in Burke.

Edmonton?...I'm starting to think we don't have any respected iduviduals that the league would give a @$# about.

The lack of respect has become worse since the complete tear down in management. Nicholson doesn't seem to carry the authority and sway that I thought he did.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Chicago has over 60 more PPs but only 1 more win.

Since the Oilers are too chicken to call the refs out we need someone to make a supercut of all the missed calls against McDavid.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Chicago has over 60 more PPs but only 1 more win.

Since the Oilers are too chicken to call the refs out we need someone to make a supercut of all the missed calls against McDavid.

And integrate the calls they've made on him as there have been a couple cheezy ones called on him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We don't draw many calls and when we do, we do nothing with it. Maybe they are doing us a favor?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Often the turning point in our losses has been when we got a power play, so you're on to something here. Thank you NHL for being so considerate of our woeful Power Play.
Get a PP when down 1 or tied, fail to do absolutely anything and then the other team within minutes puts the game away or takes the lead.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I still remember the look on Bettman's face when we won the McDavid lottery.

We've had ref issues for years though, it's just magnified now with the constant McDavid mugging and all the reviews that go against us no matter how ridiculous.

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
I think we can rationally conclude the NHL referees are both incompetent and malicious.
This can't even be argued.
It all revolve around a basic reluctance to be fair to MacDavid. Game after game where he would face less illegal defense would change the game to the point where the most teams could not compete.
But worst of all is the failure of the idiots Chiarelli and MacLelland to call out the NHL on this.
Just another manifestation of their abject incompetence.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nobody has ever provided a real source for that 15 reviews in a row the Oilers have supposedly lost.

I mean, it feels like that many, but that's not a number I'm gonna take at face value.

Also, get real it's not a conspiracy.
The Oilers are the only top 10 Corsi team in the bottom ten, and the Bruins are the only other one not in the top 15 for PP opportunites.

I'm not calling conspiracy or anything but it certainly stands out.

A rose by any other name...

It’s a conspiracy dude. ;)

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
A rose by any other name...

It’s a conspiracy dude. ;)

It's pretty wild I have to admit. :laugh:

I imagine you would need( a lot) more than a 2/3 season sample before you could argue it's a targeted hate campaign, or really anything other than simple coincidence.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's pretty wild I have to admit. :laugh:

I imagine you would need( a lot) more than a 2/3 season sample before you could argue it's a targeted hate campaign, or really anything other than simple coincidence.

I’m just going to say I would be shocked if the Oilers don’t win the lottery...

A chance to pair a generational forward with a generational defenseman? This is the NHLs wet dream.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’m just going to say I would be shocked if the Oilers don’t win the lottery...

A chance to pair a generational forward with a generational defenseman? This is the NHLs wet dream.
I'd be shocked if they did.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I still remember the look on Bettman's face when we won the McDavid lottery.

We've had ref issues for years though, it's just magnified now with the constant McDavid mugging and all the reviews that go against us no matter how ridiculous.

The delay of game non call last night was quite evident. That's a cut and dry, black and white call, but the zebras got together and deliberated on how not to give the Oilers a power play.
go back some years, and Theo Peckham puts the puck through the camera hole barely above the dasher, and gets a delay of game pen?

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I think we can rationally conclude the NHL referees are both incompetent and malicious.
This can't even be argued.
It all revolve around a basic reluctance to be fair to MacDavid. Game after game where he would face less illegal defense would change the game to the point where the most teams could not compete.
But worst of all is the failure of the idiots Chiarelli and MacLelland to call out the NHL on this.
Just another manifestation of their abject incompetence.

It's just mind bottling (deliberate) the shit this team has to eat. Ever since the playoffs last season and all the f***ery by the refs. I mean, actually hearing their logic behind the Perry goal and seeing the difference in goalie interference calls in the course of a year almost makes me want to give up on the NHL. It's a joke. Either someone is butt-hurt, there's a mandate to make sure the Oilers suffer, or maybe there's a betting scandal? Why not, it's happened in almost all other major sports.
Something is seriously rotten, not that the extra PP's would have helped..But something stinks.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
You know the old Japanese saying "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down?" Well McDavid is that nail and the league isn't interested in protecting its stars because it would mess with their precious ideas of parity. Plus most of the old dudes in positions of influence are themselves ex-grinders who think four or five slashes across the hands is just good old hard-nosed old-time hockey.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. I'm sure there's plenty of clubs and old timers around the league who are tired of the Oilers from the 80s and would rather they don't return to prominence.

Bettman's big plan was for McDavid to go to Toronto and Matthews to go to Arizona. Sorry pal.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, this is pretty much it. I'm sure there's plenty of clubs and old timers around the league who are tired of the Oilers from the 80s and would rather they don't return to prominence.

Bettman's big plan was for McDavid to go to Toronto and Matthews to go to Arizona. Sorry pal.

I don't think it's even that complex (here's another old adage: never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity). They just suck at their jobs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Part of the problem is Connor McDavid. If the rules were applied evenly McDavid might draw a penalty on 2/3 of his shifts at the very least. No player in the league right now deals with as much interference, holding, and slashing as McDavid. Right now he sits something like 9th in total penalties drawn and about 47th in penalties drawn per 60 minutes amongst players having played 40 or more games. That is ridiculous. But since he has the puck so much and is at the center of so much of the action when he is on the ice if he does not draw calls the Oilers don't get them.

This is not just an Oiler issue though. It has been like this for many of the top players for a while. I honestly think it is the leagues way of "evening things up". Refs are human as well. And I am sure they look at McDavid with his speed and mobility and consciously or subconsciously sympathize with defensemen trying to manage him. The irony is that part of this is not wanting to impact the game, but by ignoring obvious infractions that is exactly what they do.

Of course the flip side of this has been that the Oilers pp has been so bad at times that it almost seems like the refs are doing the team a favour by not giving he a pp since all it often seems to do is to kill any momentum they had going in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad