Why Do the Leafs Play So Many Saturday Home Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Mace_37 said:
toronto games are blacked out in Ottawa. The only ones that they show are Habs vs. Leafs. It sucks, I get to watch 8 games all year.

That's retarted - what do they show on CBC?

Is Ottawa still that insecure about their fanbase they need to *not* show leafs games to ensure most of Ottawa cheers for the sens?

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
Is Ottawa still that insecure about their fanbase they need to *not* show leafs games to ensure most of Ottawa cheers for the sens?
Is it so inconceivable that fans in Ottawa might just prefer watching their own team play (some would say the most entertaining team in hockey right now) on the rare occasion when they're blessed with a Saturday night game that isn't against Toronto? Montréal gets to watch the Habs on Saturday, I see no reason for Ottawa not to have the same arrangement.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
sensens said:
Is it so inconceivable that fans in Ottawa might just prefer watching their own team play (some would say the most entertaining team in hockey right now) on the rare occasion when they're blessed with a Saturday night game that isn't against Toronto? Montréal gets to watch the Habs on Saturday, I see no reason for Ottawa not to have the same arrangement.

Not at all inconceivable - if by blacked out he meant the CBC channel just shows Ottawa games saturday night instead of leaf games that makes sense and seems fair to me.

I read what he said to mean that they just didn't show the leafs games and did *not* replace them with another game (which is what I would find sad as there are appears to be more than a few leafs fans in Ottawa judging by the large # of leafs jerseys I see at leafs/sens games in Ottawa).

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
thomasincanada said:
Like it or not, leafs = ratings on CBC.

Like it or not, the CBC is a publicly-funded company, and good ratings should not be the priority. In fact, it's not even in their mandate, so why even bring this up? Besides, the CBC has an obligation to represent the opinions of all Canadians, not just particular groups that they feel like representing. I am not a Leafs fan, but, believe it or not, I'm still a Canadian.

thomasincanada said:
The only way to get all Canadian teams on TV would be to have the leafs play them on a rotating basis on Saturday nights (which really isn't that bad of an idea).

Yeah, that or they could *GASP* rotate the Eastern teams for the first game of the national broadcast. Why should people in B.C. have to watch the Leafs game every Saturday night? Don't you think they'd like to see the Sens or Habs once in awhile? Like most Western Canadians, I'm not a fan of the Leafs. I don't mind watching the Leafs every now and then, but every week? Hell naw. I'd much rather watch a healthy mix of several teams instead of the same team that I really don't care about, and it isn't far-fetched to assume that many Western Canadians feel the same way.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
fisher said:
Like it or not, the CBC is a publicly-funded company, and good ratings should not be the priority. In fact, it's not even in their mandate, so why even bring this up? Besides, the CBC has an obligation to represent the opinions of all Canadians, not just particular groups that they feel like representing. I am not a Leafs fan, but, believe it or not, I'm still a Canadian.

Even publicly funded companies have to worry about the bottom line and ratings determine the bottom line. You're naive if you think they can show whatever they want and ratings won't matter. Hockey night in Canada might be their biggest ticket and it's success allows CBC to continue to air the rest of the shows, many of which are more nationally respresentative than the leafs. The CBC would fold if it had to rely solely on public funding instead of advertising dollars and then there wouldn't be any games for anyone.

The bottom line is that the leafs are the big ticket and have been on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturdays long before most of these teams existed and will continue to be on hockey night in Canada on Saturdays regardless of what some smaller markets might like.

Hey, as a Londoner I'd much prefer to see the Knights play on CBC on Saturday nights, but I'm not going to come on here and ***** that they *should* be showing knights games to be more representative.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
alanschu said:
Wasn't this thread supposed to be about the home games situation?

Yes, and people are opining that it's because of the CBC and ratings.

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
The bottom line is that the leafs are the big ticket and have been on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturdays long before most of these teams existed and will continue to be on hockey night in Canada on Saturdays regardless of what some smaller markets might like.
Actually, I think the bottom line is that this perspective on HNIC is increasingly antiquated, and frankly the Leafs are only the 'big ticket' in Leafland. Nobody is saying that Toronto can't play Saturday night games, but why on Earth does everyone in the country have to watch it every single time? Make the games regional (i.e. let the home cities see their teams when possible), and then rotate which team is broadcast nationally. That way Toronto, Montréal and Ottawa get maximum exposure to their own teams' games, and the rest of the country gets to see each of the different Eastern teams on a reasonably equal basis. Doesn't seem so difficult to me, especially since they've done this before with their Western broadcasts.

Thibaj

Aug 5, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Mace_37 said:
toronto games are blacked out in Ottawa. The only ones that they show are Habs vs. Leafs. It sucks, I get to watch 8 games all year.

First time I hear this. CBC and TSN shows what during their national coverage when it is the Leafs? And what is the point of getting national NHL contract if it is not really national?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
alanschu said:

Yes that was my only point, why the leafs are on every saturday night is a completely different issue(one that i would actually agrue pro CBC doing it if that's what makes the money).

I think the post from the Columbus fan who said that they only have 6 home saturday games that will most likely sell out for games that won't on other nights is the perfect example of my point(see post #37 by Top Shelf).

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
sensens said:
Actually, I think the bottom line is that this perspective on HNIC is increasingly antiquated, and frankly the Leafs are only the 'big ticket' in Leafland. Nobody is saying that Toronto can't play Saturday night games, but why on Earth does everyone in the country have to watch it every single time? Make the games regional (i.e. let the home cities see their teams when possible), and then rotate which team is broadcast nationally. That way Toronto, Montréal and Ottawa get maximum exposure to their own teams' games, and the rest of the country gets to see each of the different Eastern teams on a reasonably equal basis. Doesn't seem so difficult to me, especially since they've done this before with their Western broadcasts.

I would think this might be difficult for them to setup, especially given the fact that Ottawa and Toronto are somewhat close so I don't know how they would do the cutoff. However, if they could do it successfully and it got them good ratings it's a perhaps a good idea.

I do believe though that very few outside of Ottawa (short of diehard hockey fans) would tune in to see the Senators. Even taking Ontario (75 percent leafs fans) out of the mix, the sens just don't have that many fans. I do think that rotating Leafs and Habs would be a good draw, though.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2004
fisher said:

Its actually more of a priority because that shows what people want to watch, and the CBC should be concerned about what the Canadian audience wants to watch.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Actually, CBC's very nature as a taxpayer funded broadcaster negates the need to show what people want to watch. CBC shows a lot of crap that fits into the Canadiana and special interest categories that almost nobody wants to watch, because there are about 22 people that do want to watch it. Even if it is a money losing show, they dont care, because it is our money they are wasting, not theirs. CBC does not answer to anybody.

It seems the only time CBC cares about ratings is 5:00 on Saturdays, when HNIT starts.

There are three teams in Eastern Canada, not one. It would behoove the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to show a little balance in it's schedule.

heywood*

Oct 24, 2005
alanschu said:

they are related. it isn't random when it exceeds 50% by such a large amount.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Resolute said:
It seems the only time CBC cares about ratings is 5:00 on Saturdays, when HNIT starts.

There are three teams in Eastern Canada, not one. It would behoove the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to show a little balance in it's schedule.

There are *way* more than 3 teams playing hockey in Eastern Canada. If they're going to start showing hockey games ratings be damned, I want to see some OHL games on HNIC. Seriously.

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
I do believe though that very few outside of Ottawa (short of diehard hockey fans) would tune in to see the Senators. Even taking Ontario (75 percent leafs fans) out of the mix, the sens just don't have that many fans. I do think that rotating Leafs and Habs would be a good draw, though.
This is such a self-fulfilling prophecy, though - how do you earn more nation-wide fans if you don't get nation-wide exposure? It's really the whole point of this argument - there's absolutely nothing innately wonderful about the Leafs other than the fact that they have the sweetest marketing deal in Canadian hockey, if not all of North American sports. Give another team a chance at the same exposure, and you might be surprised at the results in terms of what team people prefered to watch outside of Ontario.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
why dont we all be honest here... you are not talking about Montreal.. if you want to watch Montreal, you can by turning into RDS. It's just Ottawa that gets screwed on National coverage, so why doesn't everyone cut the BS and call a spade a spade

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
thomasincanada said:
I would think this might be difficult for them to setup, especially given the fact that Ottawa and Toronto are somewhat close so I don't know how they would do the cutoff. However, if they could do it successfully and it got them good ratings it's a perhaps a good idea.
and Edmonton and Calgary aren't close? trust me, when the Oilers and Flames make the playoffs and they're not playing each other, CBC will televise regional games

thomasincanada said:
you vasty underrate hockey fans...who WOULDN'T want to watch the best team in hockey? they score a ton, have an unbelievable D and are firing on all cylinders

I'm a die-hard Oiler fan, but I'd kill to watch the Sens play at least 1 saturday night game in Prime-time on CBC...if any team deserves it, its the Sens

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Resolute said:
Actually, CBC's very nature as a taxpayer funded broadcaster negates the need to show what people want to watch. CBC shows a lot of crap that fits into the Canadiana and special interest categories that almost nobody wants to watch, because there are about 22 people that do want to watch it. Even if it is a money losing show, they dont care, because it is our money they are wasting, not theirs. CBC does not answer to anybody.

:clap:
I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Flames fan, but ratings should mean SQUAT to the CBC considering they show horrible Canadiana that nobody watches
if the Western teams have to rotate their Saturday Night schedule, then the Eastern team should too
we're the ones paying for the CBC

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
ottawa is new to nhl

they don't deserve to live :D... on tv

leaf fans say no to rotating

we are teh market this is leafs nation

if they switch we go to the bars that night to keep the ratings in the basement where they belong when Gods team isnt on HNIC

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Leaf Lander said:
the reason why toronto is on is because other teams when giving exposure fail and fail badly
And what are you basing this on exactly.. all of those Ottawa games they show? When has another team been given even a remotely comparable chance at that kind of exposure? If they tried it for a year and it failed, then maybe there's a point here. This is just speculation.

Leaf Lander said:
if you lie kanother canadian team
buy a dish!
Because naturally the country's national television station should be the exclusive playground of the Maple Leafs... ridiculous.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
sensens said:
And what are you basing this on exactly.. all of those Ottawa games they show? When has another team been given even a remotely comparable chance at that kind of exposure? If they tried it for a year and it failed, then maybe there's a point here. This is just speculation.

Because naturally the country's national television station should be the exclusive playground of the Maple Leafs... ridiculous.

it is good business for cbc
ottawa just isnt as popular on tv as toronto
ottawa has less fans

like i said if you dont like cbc showing hockey to satisfy the Leaf Nation market then go out and buy a dish!

RTWAP*

Leaf Lander said:
the reason why toronto is on is because other teams when giving exposure fail and fail badly
Care to back that up with some actual facts? Or does it just feel right?

I think it is just the status quo and therefore the safe thing to do. Add in that the people making the decision are in Toronto and probably aren't even aware of debates like this one, and you've got a prescription for the same, old same-old.

If the Sens manage to win a Cup this year and bring it back to Canada through spirited, and inspiring play then there might be some pressure to balance the schedule a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->