Why do the Blues suck?

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
My opinion of that COL team was that they had 3 great players and a bunch of rejects. Nishuskin, Helm, Cogliano, etc that had career years. I named top-heavy teams, no team that wins will be without a few great players. No one gave TB a chance because they were a one line team. Kings were not favorites, thats false but I probably shouldnt have included them because that was as pretty deep roster and they proved that.

I dont think 3 great players means you have a deep roster. They won, thats what matters in the end so Ill concede the point but again the best team rarely wins. Thats not really up for debate.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We’re sitting in WC1 slot with only a point holding us from moving up into the top 6. I wouldn’t call that sucking.

Not saying this team isn’t bad, but I’m going to give flowers where it’s due. God knows we could be a whole lot worse.

Reactions: Blueston

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
My opinion of that COL team was that they had 3 great players and a bunch of rejects. Nishuskin, Helm, Cogliano, etc that had career years. I named top-heavy teams, no team that wins will be without a few great players. No one gave TB a chance because they were a one line team. Kings were not favorites, thats false but I probably shouldnt have included them because that was as pretty deep roster and they proved that.

I dont think 3 great players means you have a deep roster. They won, thats what matters in the end so Ill concede the point but again the best team rarely wins. Thats not really up for debate.
Kadri, Toews, Landeskog, Burakovsky, & Byram are not rejects. That is better supporting cast than we have while also having much better top of the lineup.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We’re sitting in WC1 slot with only a point holding us from moving up into the top 6. I wouldn’t call that sucking.

Not saying this team isn’t bad, but I’m going to give flowers where it’s due. God knows we could be a whole lot worse.

for me, our record is better than the eye test. Last night being a prime example. got thoroughly out played and won.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Are you serious? No All-Stars other than Binnington? That false. Do you really want me to name them all?

Its all good dude. This place would be boring if we all had the exact same opinions. I like to play devil's advocate at times to rile up the natives.

I'd love for you to name them. And Biinginton isn't one of them either. Again, not the mid season All Star game where every team gets a rep for marketing, but the end of the year list that actually means you are an all star. Here is the lists for the last 90 years or so: NHL All-Star Teams | Hockey-Reference.com. You won't find any current Blues names on there. You'll find Petro, and Vladdy, Pronger and MacInnis fron years when they were Blues. But no current Blues on there from any time.

Reactions: Blueston

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I'd love for you to name them. And Biinginton isn't one of them either. Again, not the mid season All Star game where every team gets a rep for marketing, but the end of the year list that actually means you are an all star. Here is the lists for the last 90 years or so: NHL All-Star Teams | Hockey-Reference.com. You won't find any current Blues names on there. You'll find Petro, and Vladdy, Pronger and MacInnis fron years when they were Blues. But no current Blues on there from any time.
Out of context. Do you think I was referencing the end of year AS players or just making the argument that the Blues have many good players with established NHL success and many made the AS team? Context is key.. Some players never made an AS team but probably deserved to as well. This can go both ways.

The Blues are far from having a terrible roster on paper. Would this be the worst roster to ever win a Cup if that miracle somehow happened? I dont think so. Some of you simply hate on many of these players. Winning cures all and keeps the forums quiet.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Kadri, Toews, Landeskog, Burakovsky, & Byram are not rejects. That is better supporting cast than we have while also having much better top of the lineup.
Again, rejects from other teams that let them go. COL didnt draft most of these guys and they all had career years. Thats catching lightning in a bottle and they still needed Kadri to run Binnington to get past the Blues. In fairness the Blues also caught lightning in a bottle that season with a lot of forwards having career years as well. The Blues and COL were very similar teams that season. That was the Cup winning series for me.

Also that team plays a mile above sea level. Opposing teams cant acclimate to that in time. Its understated how much that plays a role.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Currently the Blues are 14th in the NHL in points and points percentage. So we are better than more than half the league. It’s fair to say we don’t suck. We do have absolutely horrible games, but that’s fairly par for the course for teams in the middle of the standings and below.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Currently the Blues are 14th in the NHL in points and points percentage. So we are better than more than half the league. It’s fair to say we don’t suck. We do have absolutely horrible games, but that’s fairly par for the course for teams in the middle of the standings and below.
Logic. They are in a transition period where ups and downs will be more common than just ups or just downs -- but they have a chance to be good.

It could be worse. We could be watching a lottery team that has no chance at a PO spot. Some people are rooting for that while claiming they're Blues fans. Draft picks excite these people more than winning games for some reason. Illogical.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Again, rejects from other teams that let them go. COL didnt draft most of these guys and they all had career years. Thats catching lightning in a bottle and they still needed Kadri to run Binnington to get past the Blues. In fairness the Blues also caught lightning in a bottle that season with a lot of forwards having career years as well. The Blues and COL were very similar teams that season. That was the Cup winning series for me.

Also that team plays a mile above sea level. Opposing teams cant acclimate to that in time. Its understated how much that plays a role.

By this logic Schenn, Buchnevich, Faulk, Krug, and Saad are rejects from other teams. It's just unsound analysis.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Out of context. Do you think I was referencing the end of year AS players or just making the argument that the Blues have many good players with established NHL success and many made the AS team? Context is key.. Some players never made an AS team but probably deserved to as well. This can go both ways.

The Blues are far from having a terrible roster on paper. Would this be the worst roster to ever win a Cup if that miracle somehow happened? I dont think so. Some of you simply hate on many of these players. Winning cures all and keeps the forums quiet.

You were saying Blues have a lot of great players. End of the year All Star denotes that. All Star game denotes they were the best player on a bad team because every team gets one. Faulk got sent to the All Star game in 2016 when he was with Carolina and when they were very bad as their only representative. He wasn't one of the top D in the league. He was having a relatively good half a season on a bad team. He got 0 Norris votes and 0 end of the year All Star votes. So how does having the best half season on a bad team mean he is a great player? Especially when it was almost 7 years since his last trip.

Even given that, how many players do we have who made the All Star game? Faulk in 2015,16 and 17, Saad in 2016, Schenn in 2018, Binnington in 2020, Kyrou in 2022 and Hayes last year. So 5 All stars and 8 appearances. Never mind the fact that this metric recognized Hayes but not Buchnevich and Thomas. Let's look at the Powerhouse teams rosters at the star of the year in the NHL to compare our amazing roster:

Blues - 5 "All stars", 8 appearances
Chicago - 5 "All stars", 12 appearances
Columbus, 3 "all stars", 10 appearances
Ottawaa: 5 "all stars", 15 appearances
Nashville: 5 "All Stars", 12 appearances

Are those championship rosters since they have as many "All stars" as we do? They all have more All star appearances, so does that mean they have better "all stars"?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Logic. They are in a transition period where ups and downs will be more common than just ups or just downs -- but they have a chance to be good.

It could be worse. We could be watching a lottery team that has no chance at a PO spot. Some people are rooting for that while claiming they're Blues fans. Draft picks excite these people more than winning games for some reason. Illogical.
It’s almost like the reason people like draft picks is because they hope that they will lead to winning more games in the future, not less. There is a real argument to be made that getting another top 10 pick this year is more beneficial than squeaking into the playoffs as the 8th seed and getting swept in the first round.

Just because you don’t understand the bigger picture some fans are looking at, doesn’t mean it’s illogical. It has merit.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It’s almost like the reason people like draft picks is because they hope that they will lead to winning more games in the future, not less. There is a real argument to be made that getting another top 10 pick this year is more beneficial than squeaking into the playoffs as the 8th seed and getting swept in the first round.

Just because you don’t understand the bigger picture some fans are looking at, doesn’t mean it’s illogical. It has merit.

Because all first rounders are impact NHL players……. No such thing as busts I guess

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Because all first rounders are impact NHL players……. No such thing as busts I guess
Jesus, did I say anything remotely like that?

But I can use that logic too. All first round picks are useless, they’ll never be good players so I guess we should trade every draft pick, right? The future doesn’t matter.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If you want to talk about guys being All-Stars, let's just go to "who's received votes for one of the end-of-season All-Star teams?" because the midseason ASG is a farce; it's a popularity contest where every team has to be represented, and it no longer has anything to do with bringing together the game's truly best players in one spot, for one game.

Who on the Blues has received an AS vote in the last 3 seasons?

Not Thomas. [No, not even in his 20-57-77 season did he garner even one vote.]
Not Kyrou. Not even after a 37-36-73 season last year.
Not Buchnevich. [Who has 0 career votes for an end-of-season trophy.]
Not Schenn. [Who has 0 career votes for an end-of-season trophy.]
Not Hayes. [Whose career end-of-season trophy votes all came in 2014-15 when he was 7th in Calder Trophy voting.]
Not Saad. [Who's received votes for the Byng 4x, was a Calder finalist, and even got votes for the Selke in 2017.]
Not Parayko. [Who's got more votes for the Lady Byng than he does the Norris, for which career to-date he's still received 0 votes.]

No, the guys on a Blues roster who've received end-of-season AS votes in the last 3 years? That would be Justin Faulk (3 3rds in 2021-22 along with a 5th for the Norris, to go with votes he received in Carolina in 2014-15). And David Perron (6 3rds at LW in 2021). And Ville Husso (1 2nd, 1 3rd in 2022). And Vladimir Tarasenko (a 1st, 4 2nds and 8 3rds at RW in 2022).

4 players, exactly 1 of which is still on this roster. There's your recent All-Star.

Who else on this roster has ever received end-of-season AS votes that wasn't for the rookie AS team? Nick Leddy (2014-15, with the Islanders, when he got a 1st, a 2nd and 2 3rds to go with the 2nd and 5th-place votes for the Norris), Torey Krug (who's received no votes for us, but did get a 2nd and a 3rd in 2020 - right before he signed here - to go with votes he received in 2016-17 and 2017-18), and Jordan Binnington (9th in AS voting in 2019 on 2 2nds and 3 3rds, 7th in 2020 on 6 3rds).

That's it, folks. There's your 4 ever All-Stars on the team, one of them was 9 years ago and he's never getting another one and the other is getting carried by Faulk and never getting another AS or Norris Trophy vote.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Are you serious? No All-Stars other than Binnington? That false. Do you really want me to name them all?
Be my guest. Hockey Reference includes all star voting. Binnington is the only player on the roster who has been top 10 in end of season all star voting.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
All fall a part when Pietro was let to walk.

Faulk, Krug shitshow, dont FIX what isnt problem. We had good powerplay before Faulk and Krug.

Leddy. After that i was done with how Army was doing things. Let Perron walk was last nail on The coffin.

What to do now? FIX d-core. Faulk, Krug out. Parayko is meh. He didn't florish. Scandella wtf is he still playing. Mikkola was decent Back end and having his best season in Florida. So much of dead money in d-core.

Absolute shitty team currently.

And about forward group. There is talent and good to see Neighbours be elite talent.

• Love
Reactions: BlueKnight

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I'm no longer as "bitter" about it, but it's because we lost Petro. Acquiring Faulk at 90ish percent of what it probably would've cost the Blues cap-wise to resign our captain had to feel like a slap in the face. I get it. It's a business. Still sucks though.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm no longer as "bitter" about it, but it's because we lost Petro. Acquiring Faulk at 90ish percent of what it probably would've cost the Blues cap-wise to resign our captain had to feel like a slap in the face. I get it. It's a business. Still sucks though.
Yeah but didn’t you hear? Petro only led us to playoff exits.

Faulk has led us to… like, multiple Stanley Cups and stuff.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
wearing my tin foil hat….

Petro, “I’m really sorry Army, but I’ve decided to play in LV. My wife loves the weather there and we’ve decided to try something new.

Army, ”ok, but let’s make it look like we tried our best to keep you”

Petro, “deal“

Reactions: Drubilly

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
wearing my tin foil hat….

Petro, “I’m really sorry Army, but I’ve decided to play in LV. My wife loves the weather there and we’ve decided to try something new.

Army, ”ok, but let’s make it look like we tried our best to keep you”

Petro, “deal“
Pietrangelo going to army to say this would be evidence of tampering by Las Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad