why do sweden suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Our team looked like freaking clowns out there. Tell me about the leadership of sundin. he sucks. forsberg sucks. naslund sucks. We're not an elite team anymore. Atleast the finns can win the important games. so can the czechs and the canadians.

worst of all. our coach is staying :mad:

we deserves to be laughed at.

Burnaby_Joe*

They don't suck, they just played a horrible, horrible game.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
The entire game looked exactly like the 3rd period of the game against the Czechs in the Round Robin. No wonder I saw it coming days ago :cry:

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
Hardy Nilsson is seriously staying?
I thought for sure this would be his swan song. Especially with losing this badly.

SChan*

Proud Habber said:
Hardy Nilsson is seriously staying?
I thought for sure this would be his swan song. Especially with losing this badly.

it's pathetic isn't it?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
tk1.jpg

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Both Finland & Sweden looked mentally & physically tired after their saturday's game, the difference was the level of opposition, Finland just managed to cruise past Germany while Czechs really didn't give any chance for the tired Swedes.

I don't think there's any reason to whip yourself any more than this, Sweden underperformed just like Finland did but Finland used their "get out of jail" -card and now faces the same fate as Sweden when playing against the winner of RUS/USA.

That is unless Finland manages to drastically improve both motivation & work-ethic which seems very hard given the volatile circumstances around Team Finland.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
H/H said:
The entire game looked exactly like the 3rd period of the game against the Czechs in the Round Robin. No wonder I saw it coming days ago :cry:

I did. Yay for me. And about the "suck" part, unless sweden start playing like Germany, like we used to, we'll never win anything again.

SChan*

Riddarn said:
I did. Yay for me. And about the "suck" part, unless sweden start playing like Germany, like we used to, we'll never win anything again.

your 7-1 prediction was very close. :handclap:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Who has worse attitudes: the players or the fans?

Didn't Sweden win silver the last 2 years at the WC's, gold in 1998 at the WC and 1994 at the Olympics? That's not a bad record to have. Losing one game in a money tourny shouldn't be the end of the world.

The only expectations the US fans have for is the basketball team, and we know why they lost. :banghead:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
guinness said:
Who has worse attitudes: the players or the fans?

Didn't Sweden win silver the last 2 years at the WC's, gold in 1998 at the WC and 1994 at the Olympics? That's not a bad record to have. Losing one game in a money tourny shouldn't be the end of the world.

The only expectations the US fans have for is the basketball team, and we know why they lost. :banghead:

Really, losing 2 finals in a row is not a success. World Championships mean nothing though, it's all about having the best Stanley Cup losers on your team. About the 1994 olympics, I think this victory is perhaps the most overvalued piss victory the swedes ever have gotten. They played more defensive than Germany the entire tournament and just managed to beat out Canada on a penalty shootout. The swedes had great players like Håkan Loob, Tomas Jonsson (NY Islanders of the 80's you might remember), Mats Näslund, Andreas Dackell, Kenny Jönsson and Peter Forsberg. The Canadians were college kids..

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Riddarn said:
Really, losing 2 finals in a row is not a success. World Championships mean nothing though, it's all about having the best Stanley Cup losers on your team. About the 1994 olympics, I think this victory is perhaps the most overvalued piss victory the swedes ever have gotten. They played more defensive than Germany the entire tournament and just managed to beat out Canada on a penalty shootout. The swedes had great players like Håkan Loob, Tomas Jonsson (NY Islanders of the 80's you might remember), Mats Näslund, Andreas Dackell, Kenny Jönsson and Peter Forsberg. The Canadians were college kids..

That is a bad attitude (IMO): Gold or bust, and if you win gold, it better be against the best of the best. So all the Soviet teams that won Olympic golds must haven't been very good, if they weren't playing against NHL'ers at the time.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
guinness said:
So all the Soviet teams that won Olympic golds must haven't been very good, if they weren't playing against NHL'ers at the time.

No, of course not. They were just never really put to the test at the Olympics, of course stuff happens, like in 1980, but generally they were miles better than any of the opposition. They showed what they could do in the Canada Cups and Summit Series though.

Edit: But perhaps the many olympic gold medals won by the Soviets wasn't worth much in reality, since they were full time professionals and the opposing teams were made up out of college kids, electricians and plummers. Remember professional ice hockey is very new in Europe. The SEL hasn't been truly professional for even 10 years.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Velvet E. Sax said:
Turnovers in their own zone killed them...the Czech forecheckers were unbelieveable as well...

...uh...ha,ha..."foreCzechers" :)
Yes. The Czechs can play a forechecking style from time to time and the Finns usually do play an aggressive forecheck. The Swedes looked laughable trying to send in players to recover pucks first in the corners. (But if they managed to pass their way into the corners they did well, but that's another matter.)

Many Canadian hockey players and coaches, including Gretzky and Bowman, have commented over the years on the similarity in style between Canada and Finland in terms of aggressive and tenacious forechecking. Where Finland has failed in the past, has been in dominant goaltending or clutch goal scoring or effective powerplay. Finland comes into this tourney without some of those other weaknesses (I still question the powerplay) and hence I predicted before the tourney that Finland would play Canada in the final.

In part due to an effective forecheck.

All of that aside, the reason I predicted before the game a 6-2 Czech win (recorded on page one of the game thread) is that Sweden plays without a goaltender! I've watched Tellqvist play exactly seven NHL games and he's looked awful in each and every one of them (even when they won he had moments of bad play); it should have been obvious that a rookie with no international experience would have been better than that sieve.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Riddarn said:
No, of course not. They were just never really put to the test at the Olympics, of course stuff happens, like in 1980, but generally they were miles better than any of the opposition. They showed what they could do in the Canada Cups and Summit Series though.

Edit: But perhaps the many olympic gold medals won by the Soviets wasn't worth much in reality, since they were full time professionals and the opposing teams were made up out of college kids, electricians and plummers. Remember professional ice hockey is very new in Europe. The SEL hasn't been truly professional for even 10 years.
How proud are Americans of their Dream Team? And up until this Olympics, they were against high schoolers basically. I'm sure that if Canada was dominating hockey in any way with any competition, Canadians would go crazy and chant the players's exploits to no end.

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
SectionX said:
it's pathetic isn't it?
Why is the Swedish Hockey Federation sticking with him? Sweden has the talent to go all the way in a tournament, but they always end up choking.
Now, fans always expect the worst, and it seems as though the players do, too. I think it's fairly obvious they need a new motivator - a new voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad