Why do goalies do this

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
why would you do that? the whole point of warm-ups is to WARM-UP your goalie, not injure him, shoot the puck at him so he gets loosened up

Why would I think he'd prefer that I fire shots at him than trying to slip the puck five hole? I try to be very pro-goalie. I help him set up the net, make sure he's got enough water, apologise for blowing defensive coverage, etc. It's been my experience that goalies don't say enough about what they want or need. If a guy's going to have pucks shot at him 45 minutes per game (we play 3 -15 minute periods) 20 games per season he can ask for whatever he wants. But if he's too quiet to ask or assumes I already know what he needs I'll just go on doing what I've been doing. I thought I was warming myself up with some stick handling and one-on-one practice, never thinking I could kill my goalie that way.

Goalies, please tell me what you need! I really don't know.

RangerSteve

shoot the puck at him, but keep them low in the beginning so the goaltender can get a 'feel for the puck. Maybe it is all goaltender's personal preference, but mine didn't really prefer seeing us rip bullets at him up close. If anything, forget the dekes. If you want to stick handle go around in the corner or up top in the neutral znoe to get you r own feel for the puck.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Here's the perspective from an old guy goalie. When I come on the ice, I have a limited time to skate around, stretch, and take shots. I need a little extra time to stretch, so I always use that time. Once I get in net, I want shots from at least out past the hash marks so I can start to move around, get the feel for everything, and further warm up. If I get a variety of shots, high, low, in my chest, then I'll start to take some dekes if there's time. As someone else put it, it's my warm up time, not yours, so I do it according to my needs.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Why are some of you so testy? Now, mind you, I'm not calling out any particular goalie or saying any of you are but I've seen some goalies with serious attitude problems.

Of course some goalies have serious attitude problems. So do some skaters.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
One game I was subbing for a friend and two goaltenders showed up to the skate. So I decided to skate out as a forward for the game.

In the warmups, I'm warming up the goaltender like I usually do with the goalies I coach.

As I get to the bench for the game to start, the captain comes up to me and was telling me what a great shot I have, but that I really need to work on my accuracy because all of my shots were at the goalie's gloves. :shakehead

So now I don't sub in goal for that team any more. :D

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Buddehjus, where do you live? I've never heard of a place that actually pays goalies to show up!

I'll echo what most of the rest have said. In the beginning of warmups (the whole 3-5 minutes long), I'm trying to get a feel for the puck. By that, I mean I'm making sure I track the puck all the way in to my body, follow it out on rebounds, am moving correctly and on angle, reaquiring depth appropriately, and that my timing is appropriately. I prefer basic shots from distance to start out with so I can do that. Then I'd like two-on-nones, because that gets me reading the play while maintaining angle/distance. Then I'd like about 30-45 seconds of goal mouth scrambles. They are a totally different set of techniques and puck vision that won't get warmed up any other way. I don't want a single breakaway in warm ups. For me, the reason is that the saves I use most commonly against a deke breakaway (which is what you usually see in warmups), are saves that put a heavy demand on my groin and low back muscles. I have a history of groin tears, and I won't risk reinjuring them by using those saves when the muscles are cold and the result doesn't matter.

Bob Cole - Like I said above, I prefer to break a warm up into three sets of shots. For the first half of each set, I want you to shoot on me. Then I want you to try to score. Give me one or two easy ones to turn on my goalie brain, then make me work for it.

BudehJuS - Probably the thing I've heard most often from my teammates is "wow, you're really normal, for a goalie." But I understand the testiness some feel.

First, we goalies put alot of pressure on ourselves to be perfect. We go into the game believing that every shot can be stopped, and after each goal, we identify what we did wrong that allowed the puck to go into the net. At the moment the puck is in the net, it doesn't matter if you blew your defensive coverage and we were facing a 5-on-none of Peter Forsberg clones. We made a mistake that allowed the puck to go into the net. It's our fault, and a lot of us don't handle it well. It's not until we are off the ice and the goalie brain has shut down that we can let it go.

Second, a lot of outskaters don't understand much about goaltending. We constantly have guys telling us to stand up more, go down more, get up quicker, close the 5 hole, etc. Very rarely do any of those guys know enough about goaltending to understand what we did and why. We get a lot of criticism from guys who don't have a clue. Likewise, there are a lot of people who will happily blame the goalie without ever considering how the play developed. I don't know how many times I've had someone tell me I should have stopped that 4th shot with three open guys in the crease, for example.

Third, goaltending is about see-think-react in an instant. At the best of times, it becomes see-react. There's no time to think. That instant reaction comes out in our emotional reactions to other people. We don't mean to be testy. But our social brain that knows you didn't really look at me funny has been set aside so the goalie brain can take over. A lot of goalies use various rituals to get the goalie brain to turn on. They do the same thing before every game. They don't speak to anyone the day of a game. They get screwy if the patterns are broken, because they are afraid the goalie brain won't turn on, they will get scored on, and they will fail the team.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Whatever the goalie wants in warmups he'll get from me. Where I played growing up we learned pretty early that warming up the goaltender meant giving him a feel for the puck, not making him bend like a pretzel.

I've only played goal a handful of times and I've learned that the last thing that I'd wanna be doing as I'm warming up is flinging my body in directions which could get me hurt. Some of my good friends are goalies so I somewhat understand the mental aspect of their position. A few of them at the very end of warmups actually like breakaways and what not, and I'll oblidge them, but most of them don't.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
RedK, I live in FL.

But, yeah, goalies can be so scarce that the rink I play at, it pays the first two $15 bucks a pop to show up, but even on a friday night it can be quite hard to get two goalies to come out.

When I made the breakaway comment, I meant during the game, not warmups, just to clarify.

Every game I've played, everybody is supportive of the goalies, tapping the pads and saying good save are common practices. Some advice is thrown out but usually in jest.

I understand from a financial standpoint that you had to invest more in your gear and I respect that but I just don't get some of attitudes that goalies get.

Just my .02 cents.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
When I made the breakaway comment, I meant during the game, not warmups, just to clarify.

I'm pretty sure everybody understood, but it's always good to clairify anyway.

Pickup hockey sometimes degenerates into breakaway city which is probably why they are getting annoyed. In addition to being incredibly exhausting, facing constant breakaways, 2-0's, whatever on 0's will get on some peoples nerves. If I'm an inexperenced goaltender I imagine this would be even more frustrating.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
I'm pretty sure everybody understood, but it's always good to clairify anyway.

Pickup hockey sometimes degenerates into breakaway city which is probably why they are getting annoyed. In addition to being incredibly exhausting, facing constant breakaways, 2-0's, whatever on 0's will get on some peoples nerves. If I'm an inexperenced goaltender I imagine this would be even more frustrating.

Especially since breakaways can turn dangerous for a 'tender really fast, if the skater can't/doesn't slow down or turn in time. My goaltender got run by a guy on a breakaway a few games ago and separated his shoulder; he's out 4-8 weeks. Nobody wants that to happen to them, least of all in a pickup game.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I've got a goalie question.

Why are some of you so testy? Now, mind you, I'm not calling out any particular goalie or saying any of you are but I've seen some goalies with serious attitude problems. When I play open hockey, the first two goalies to come out are PAID, they are paid $15 to show and play for an hour and half. But, most don't usually show up and when they do they are testy during the game. "If there's one more breakaway, I'm leaving." or "Shoot it!", etc are prime examples I've heard. Now, I don't ever say anything negative them because it's a rough job when everybody wants to fire rubber discs of doom but I don't why they get agitated so easily. Anybody care to elaborate?

Because it happens OVER AND OVER AND OVER. To a goalie it may seem like common sense to understand some of these things yet we have to EXPLAIN every time we take the ice for pick up or a skate and shoot. Add in the yahoos who like to celebrate during warm ups....OMG. Not to mention goalies are already one or two shy of a full six pack anyway. lol

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Because it happens OVER AND OVER AND OVER. To a goalie it may seem like common sense to understand some of these things yet we have to EXPLAIN every time we take the ice for pick up or a skate and shoot. Add in the yahoos who like to celebrate during warm ups....OMG. Not to mention goalies are already one or two shy of a full six pack anyway. lol

+1.

I've always hated the skates where we get paid, because it always seems like the players take that to mean that they don't have to hustle, skate hard, backcheck, or play defense. "Well, we're paying them, so they should just shut up and enjoy it."

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
I pretty much have a set warmup that I like. First I have my team line up across the rink at the top of the faceoff circles and fire slapshots. After about 30 slapshots, I have them go in the corners and come in to the front of the net, and shoot. I ask that for the first 2-3 min of that drill, shots come from at least 10-15 feet out, then they're free to come in and deke. Sometimes I'll leave the net if all they're doing is dekeing, and I'll stretch instead, or practice my clearing attempts, provided I'm sufficiently warmed up.

-- George.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I always thought it was common knowledge that in warmups, you keep em low and it's not the time to work on shootout moves.

dgeesaman

Apr 15, 2007
I always thought it was common knowledge that in warmups, you keep em low and it's not the time to work on shootout moves.

I agree. I aim for the goalie's leather during warmups.

Go ahead and pick the corners when the goalie skates out.

Dave

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I agree. I aim for the goalie's leather during warm ups.

Go ahead and pick the corners when the goalie skates out.

Dave

Yea I played goalie when I was younger so I understand to hit the goalie. As far as a shooter warming up, I try to work on my accuracy by hitting the goalie in a certain spot, a letter or word on the pads or right into the catcher or blocker.

If you need to work on your shot during warm ups a good idea is to take a puck and pick out an spot on the boards (preferably in the neutral zone, out of the way) and shoot at a spot there (like in between the top line and middle line in an E) and gradually back up.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I dont quite agree on these lines of thinking. The warm up is for all those involved. You should shoot on your own goalie during warm ups like you would on the opponent in game. Of course, you build from a slightly reduced tempo to full out game speed shooting as everyone gets warmed. Think about it...if you dont shoot for the openings your goalie is showing during warm ups(and communicate a little), which will be what the opponents sees....See where I am going? Most have 3-5 minutes unlike the semi and pros who get up to TWO warm up sessions. During a game it is one of the unwritten rules to to try and make suggestions to a goalie. Warm-ups are the PERFECT time. A simple "you were giving me the short side" or whatever helps greatly. At the very least, it might confirm the goalies tactic and at best help the goalie correct an angle issue.

By going light, you are in no way going to be ready nor will you get your goalie up to his/her game level. People sometimes wonder why so many Youth goalies dont play well in the first. How many will allow one of the or the very first shot to go in. I firmly believe the larger percentage is due to poor warm ups.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Here's one...

I'm playing last night, we're up 10-0 midway through the third period, and I've seen a total of three shots. (Two were actually pretty tough saves, including the first where I'm sitting there thinking to myself. I keep all of the pucks from games where we get a shutout, and I'm trying to decide what to do if I don't see a shot all game. At this point, my defenseman turns the puck over maybe two feet in front of my net. I'm lounging at one post, but I throw my right leg across and someone I hit the shot.)

So the tenth goal goes in, and the other goalie starts skating down the ice towards me. I'm thinking that either he's going home or that he's going to try to fight me - and this is a team of firefighters so I don't like that option a lot.

Turns out he just wanted to switch sides! I saw fourteen shots in the last ten minutes, and gave up a power-play goal. Weird, though!

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I yell at my team when they do moves on the goalie when he first steps into net during warmups. I don't mind it a few minutes in after he's stretched, but the one post in the first few of this thread is right. The goalie needs to stretch and get a feel for the puck, start him out with a half moon of slapshots, then do break aways, direct shots, from either left, right, or center, then when he's ready you can pull moves on him.

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
the goalie doesnt want to stretch for a deke and pull a groin when he's cold.most dont move because they are setting there cut down angles.i.e hiding the net behind them.my buddy is an nhl goalie and if you shoot high on him by mistake he'll try and decapitate you with his goal stick.

dhasek3910

Sep 21, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
the goalie doesnt want to stretch for a deke and pull a groin when he's cold.most dont move because they are setting there cut down angles.i.e hiding the net behind them.my buddy is an nhl goalie and if you shoot high on him by mistake he'll try and decapitate you with his goal stick.

The stretching part is crucial, because the goalie has just got out there, he may not be warmed up yet. A simple forehand to backhand deke might pull his groin and then you don't have any goalie left to practice on. Usually you shoot low on goalies because their hands are always going to be warmed up, its the legs/groin area that need the most practice, so aim low so they can practice going down and stopping it or perfecting rebound control.

Joeysallamander

Nov 28, 2005
In my warmups I prefer:
5 shots to the glove
5 shots to the blocker
5 shots to the 5 hole.
5 slappers from the points, center, etc.
Then if there is time I will take a few breakaways
but I really feel like there a waste of time.

I need to get a feel for my angles more then anything.
Breakaways don't help me with that.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
In my warmups I prefer:
5 shots to the glove
5 shots to the blocker
5 shots to the 5 hole.
5 slappers from the points, center, etc.
Then if there is time I will take a few breakaways
but I really feel like there a waste of time.

I need to get a feel for my angles more then anything.
Breakaways don't help me with that.

That's the way it's supposed to be done. Watch goalies warm up in the NHL. They take shots, then rotate out then take more shots and eventually they start with "horseshoe" type of drills to mimic game situations(turnovers mainly). The object is to prepare your goalie for the game, not to make your goalie look bad by deke-ing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad