Why do goalies do this

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
how come in warmups a lot of times when I'll try to practice a breakaway or two the goalie just doesn't even really play it. Like I'll make a deke and the goalie will just stand there and not care. They seem to like doing that a lot. A lot of goalies do this, and it kind of bothers me, because it's like they don't even want to practice/warm up against a breakaway which could very well occur in game. Instead they seem to just like people taking slapshots from the point.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
It's because when a goalie is in warmups they are still in the process of stretching and getting a feel for the puck. I can't stand breakaways on me in warmups personally let me see some shots, and get me into the game that way

TPS 61*

In my warmups it is 80% breakaways. Personally, I like it. I stretch before I get out there and im still loose so I can imidiatlely go down to make a save.

funktasticblues93

Jun 3, 2006
st. louis mo.
goalies like to have shots, get the feel for the puck, the last thing they need is spend 5 seconds chasing you around while you're making a move, when they could of had about 3 shots in that time

Thunderdog

Mar 27, 2007
Our goalie wants shots so he can get a feel for the puck. No breakaways or deekes. After the game when the ice is available, he'll stay and practice breakaways as long as we want.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
how come in warmups a lot of times when I'll try to practice a breakaway or two the goalie just doesn't even really play it. Like I'll make a deke and the goalie will just stand there and not care.

Because I'm warming up. At this point, I don't care how hard you can shoot the puck or how many dekes you can make. I'm just trying to warm up.

The point of the warm up is not to practice; it's to warm up.

We'reGonnaWin*

how come in warmups a lot of times when I'll try to practice a breakaway or two the goalie just doesn't even really play it. Like I'll make a deke and the goalie will just stand there and not care. They seem to like doing that a lot. A lot of goalies do this, and it kind of bothers me, because it's like they don't even want to practice/warm up against a breakaway which could very well occur in game. Instead they seem to just like people taking slapshots from the point.

Are you one of those guys that ignore me when I tell them "Just shots, guys."? :teach:

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
As mentioned, a warmup is not a practice. Some goalies like breakaways in warmup, but most I've met don't.

Slapshots from the point allow the goalie to get in the frame of mind of following the puck with their eyes, and let them make saves while warming up/loosening their muscles. Breakaways are a lot more likely to result in a pulled/torn muscle, since you can't really build up as gradually.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR

because warm ups are for warming up not throwing moves, I NEVER take a shot from someone in a warmup who dekes or try's anything, you really should be shooting into the goaltenders chest or pads so he can get used to angles and rebound control.

Last edited:

nexusrage21

Dec 14, 2004
My team's goalie has complained about people taking breakaways every single time we warm him up. Still, people do it. We came to the conclusion that some of the people start warming him up with shots, but then get upset that he stops them, so they try to bust out their "best moves". Sad, I know. I told him if I see people doing that again, I'll just shoot at them while they are going.

Hope that works.

Ajax02

Sauce.
Jun 29, 2006
Las Vegas
goalies generally dont like warming up with breakaways because the will probably encounter like 1 during the game. They like having shots and getting a feel for the puck.. The warmup is not supposed to be for you, it's for the goalie.

primetime

Dec 2, 2005
Albany
A lot of guys think warming up is a time to goof off. It's not. I don't like getting breakaways, dekes, or shots ringing off my mask (on purpose) in warmups.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
That's the way you guys goalie see it. The way I see it is that you don,t want to beat your goalie too often in the warm-up because he'll loose confidence in his ability to stop the puck and that's never good before a game. So what I do is I shoot on him and tell him that it's because I want him to get a feeling for the puck etc. Usually works and makes the goalie happy.

:sarcasm:

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
Yeah, in general we hate people coming in on breakaways during warmups. last season we had a set warmup, partly to keep that from happening. 3 lines at the blue line, each goalie sees everyone shoot from there, then butterflies for both passing (giving and receiving) and one timers, then 1 on 1, ending with 2 on 1. Another thing we really hate is when people shoot when we aren't looking at them.

Nov 28, 2006
My goalie likes breakaways because it takes him a bit of practice pokechecks before he is up to par with them.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
goalies generally dont like warming up with breakaways because the will probably encounter like 1 during the game. They like having shots and getting a feel for the puck.. The warmup is not supposed to be for you, it's for the goalie.

That probably sums it up...if you really need to warm up your shot and stickhandling, do it while the goalie is still skating around or stretching.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Yeah, in general we hate people coming in on breakaways during warmups. last season we had a set warmup, partly to keep that from happening. 3 lines at the blue line, each goalie sees everyone shoot from there, then butterflies for both passing (giving and receiving) and one timers, then 1 on 1, ending with 2 on 1. Another thing we really hate is when people shoot when we aren't looking at them.

Yeah, my biggest warm-up pet peeve, two people shooting at once. If I'm standing square to the shooter at the top of the left face-off circle, you would think the guy on the right side of the rink would know not to shoot. But it happens.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

think about it, during actual game play, a goalie is facing what kind of shots? and where are these shots going to be coming from?

The goalies want to see shots in warm up from the same places they are going to see shots in the game, the majority of which are from a distance.

Breakaways during warm up are useless in that the deke you make probably won't be the deke he faces in the game and the process of a making a stop on a breakaway is more of a feel thing as opposed to a techinique used to stop shots from a distance.

Breakaways during warm-ups can actually take a goalie and ruin him for the game because his angles could be thrown off.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
There is a place and time for everything. If there has been a solid progression starting with simple blue line shots leading to some break aways, thats fine. They are a good tool to get your timing down on closing the gap(for those who play that game) or in my case, hitting the top of my positional range and taking control of the situation. Not going to get into the deatails of it since the average player isnt quick enough to understand whats going on...lol

As a goalie I am very aware of who has and has not shot. If I have a guy who comes on the ice and takes no shoots, thinks he can just come in below game speed, deke 5 or 6 times on a slow breakaway, I ignore him. If I have a guy who has taken some shots and done his part in warming me up, I will take breakaways, 2 on 0's etc etc. If that same guy wants to also come in on some ludicrous slow breakaway attempt, I will ignore him.

I dont think any goalie worth the jock they wear worries about getting beat during warm ups. If those can shake a goalies confidence...he has bigger issues to deal with than warm ups. Many times, early in a warm up I dont even make attempts to stop some shots. I just want to visually track the shot. The eyes need warming up too. Shooting at me, play below game speed, slow shots etc etc...do no real good. Pick those corners, shoot hard and prepare your goalie. ITs a two way street.

Honestly, 99% of the yahoos who want to come in on breakaways right off the bat are the worst. They cant hit the net from the blue line with a slapper and would prob see NO breakaway in a game. Its a waste my short warm up time if I were to give them the time of day. I will give a guy one chance, take the break (IF AT GAME SPEED) and let them know I am not ready for that yet. If they try again right away, they get ignored. Dont get that hint quickly, I will ignore that shooter for the rest of warm ups.

Nov 28, 2006
I have a question for the Goalies out there: In Warm-ups do you want the shooters to try to beat you with a shot, or do you want them to shoot it more or less into your chest?

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
I have a question for the Goalies out there: In Warm-ups do you want the shooters to try to beat you with a shot, or do you want them to shoot it more or less into your chest?
I'm not a goalie, but I usually try to give the goalie different looks: some low shots, some high, some stick side, some glove side, some into the leg pads, some into the chest. The idea is to give the goalie a chance to warm up against each "kind" of shot, track the puck, get used to moving, etc.

Not coincidentally, it also gives me the chance to get my shot warmed up; some days I'm having more trouble lifting the puck, some days I can ring it off the crossbar with no effort. It's nice to know that before I shoot in a game situation. ;)

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

To be perfectly frank, as long as I don't get hurt, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other - that's why the dekes and slapshots to the head bother us in warmups.

I'm just trying to get a feel for the equipment, the puck, the ice, my relation to the net, and all of that good stuff.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I've got a goalie question.

Why are some of you so testy? Now, mind you, I'm not calling out any particular goalie or saying any of you are but I've seen some goalies with serious attitude problems. When I play open hockey, the first two goalies to come out are PAID, they are paid $15 to show and play for an hour and half. But, most don't usually show up and when they do they are testy during the game. "If there's one more breakaway, I'm leaving." or "Shoot it!", etc are prime examples I've heard. Now, I don't ever say anything negative them because it's a rough job when everybody wants to fire rubber discs of doom but I don't why they get agitated so easily. Anybody care to elaborate?

RJ8812*

why would you do that? the whole point of warm-ups is to WARM-UP your goalie, not injure him, shoot the puck at him so he gets loosened up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad