Why do dogs lick (you)?

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I'm a cat person so rarely have my kids licked me.

Really?

I've been around cats my whole life and most of them licked me reasonably often. The one I currently have doesn't, though.

IIRC, if they're not handled sufficiently by humans at a young age (from when their eyes open to 6-8 weeks, I think?), cats won't be as sociable, and licking is a social activity for cats, so if they don't lick you, that could be an indicator of poor human socialization at the formative age.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Dogs are looking for food. When you come home did you notice they always try to lick your mouth? It's apparently an instinct in their genetic code or something. The parents come home and they try to see what you have brought them. It is supposed to stimulate the regurgitation reflex. Essentially, they want you to vomit your food into their mouths.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dogs are looking for food. When you come home did you notice they always try to lick your mouth? It's apparently an instinct in their genetic code or something. The parents come home and they try to see what you have brought them. It is supposed to stimulate the regurgitation reflex. Essentially, they want you to vomit your food into their mouths.

Anything for my dog. Will pick up fast food on my home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad