Why didn't Rorygate gain any media momentum?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
For all the hype that the Vote for Rory campaign received, why was there none related to Rorygate? As far as I saw, it wasn't touched on anywhere, other than this Slate article. No Hotstove session, Off the Record discussion, or anything.

Thoughts?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
For all the hype that the Vote for Rory campaign received, why was there none related to Rorygate? As far as I saw, it wasn't touched on anywhere, other than this Slate article. No Hotstove session, Off the Record discussion, or anything.

Thoughts?

It was all over the place for weeks up until the All Star game. It was a month and a half ago.....they should still be talking about Rory?

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
because no one could whip up any outrage over the alleged manipulation of a voting system that encouraged people to "vote early and vote often?"

like the All Star game, it didn't really matter, except that Rory is now a folk hero, which is nice. :)

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
It was all over the place for weeks up until the All Star game. It was a month and a half ago.....they should still be talking about Rory?

I don't expect them to still be talking about it, which is why I posted it in the History of Hockey board. It's history, old news.

I'm just surprised that it wasn't covered at the time, especially by those media outlets that embraced the Vote for Rory story. You'd think it would be of public interest for them to follow up on the story, especially with the controversy/conspiracy involved.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Probably because there was no conspiracy.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Because media people agreed with the NHL. Manipulation to work around manipulation isn't a big deal.

Really? I think that's a slippery slope. They could have admitted their gaffe in design with the voting system, and announced their removal of automated votes (>5 votes/sec from the same IP, etc). Instead, they cook the books. It concerns me that they handled it this way, and begs the question of where else they decide to cook the books and take the easy way out, instead of dealing with a challenge in a fair and ethical way.

Because no one with half a brain even cared.

I'm not so sure. Email tampering with the NHLPA is a big story right now. As was the nomination of new PA leadership when Goodenow stepped down. People were critical about the draft lottery result, and the fact it wasn't transparent.

While Rorygate in itself is admittedly very trivial in isolation, I still think it reflects a lack of ethical compass.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Where did Vote for Rory start?

...I want to believe it was a couple posters on here that started a joke and it turned into a whole campaign originating @ hfboards.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I believe it started on the SA (something awful forums) and then it was mentioned by lech on the canucks board, and they suggested to give it more exposure by putting it in gen. ed.

The rest you can figure out.

LVIsles*

Where did Vote for Rory start?

...I want to believe it was a couple posters on here that started a joke and it turned into a whole campaign originating @ hfboards.

Vote for Rory started here by a poster named Lucherous(I probably spelled it wrong)

He just made one random post one nite in the NHL forums and he said "I think we should all vote for a random player that probably wouldnt get into the All Star Game" and Rory was his choice

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What was worse is that if Rory had any respect for himself he would have sitfled all the publicity right form the beginning. In any interview I saw he was encouraging it. I'll admit the voting system is flawed but could he sleep at night knowing that he was almost in a game where he'll never belong among the Lidstroms and Nieds of the league? I think the guy lacked modesty.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
What was worse is that if Rory had any respect for himself he would have sitfled all the publicity right form the beginning. In any interview I saw he was encouraging it. I'll admit the voting system is flawed but could he sleep at night knowing that he was almost in a game where he'll never belong among the Lidstroms and Nieds of the league? I think the guy lacked modesty.
I personally think that he thought that it had no chance at the beginning and said to himself that it will die on its own. I think he under-estimated it.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
As crazy and populist as it was, the Vote Rory campaign was the only thing that resembled excitement during the NHL All Star Week. The NHL didn't realise it had the chance to capitalise on the media exposure and make a buck.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In interviews he came across as self-effacing and bemused.

I can remember him encouraging the players to vote for him in an interview. Hey if he made it in '07 forget about Peter Buzek ('00) or Keith Primeau being the worst players to ever play in an all-star game in a certain year

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
The media didn't cover the Iraq situation well and that is not complex. How are they going to handle fancy things like the internet and counting?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad