Why did we build such a tough team to play this way?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
While I absolutely agree that Shanny, Dubas, and Keefe have enabled this losing culture, let's not forget that these players spent the summer, after an embarrassing playoff showing, complaining about the team dress code. Let that sink it. These guys are making tens of millions, are wearing the crest of one of hockey's greatest teams, just got bounced in the playoffs, and their focus was the DRESS CODE.

What more do we need to know about what type of players, and children, we're discussing here?

We can hem and haw about the coach, the PP schemes, etc. But come playoff time, teams that win the war of attrition are hardened, mentally tough, focused, and hungry. Our players are everything but.

Could you imagine Wendel Clark walking into Pat Burns office and telling him the dress code is problematic after losing Game 7 to the Kings?
Maybe handing 21 year old kids the keys to the castle was a bad idea. Then again MLSE hired a President with no management experience who eventually hired a GM with no GM experience who then hired a coach with no experience coaching in the NHL. Doesn’t sound like experience was valued. Inexperience and entitlement destroyed this organization.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Well, the majority of the toughness is on the backend. Reaves is the only heavyweight. I also didn't agree with Keefes decision to break up the 4th line. If they score it's a bonus, they need to be the tough, forechecking grinding line and they were. Robertson provides a sneaky threat but you shouldn't be looking for scoring from your 4th. I get he is desperate to get some goals, but...

Bert and Domi have been involved. Matthews in game 2 was the best Matthews we have seen, scoring, hitting and looking like the Alpha Male on the ice everytime. In fact, the first two games even though it was tied 1-1 in the series had the Bruins thinking. Even Marchand stated "they are built differently". Brad did a good job on the back end.

If Leafs score to make it 3-2 in game three instead of Marchand scoring so quickly, this series is entirely different. It's as if they didn't believe the heavy hockey was paying dividends.

Look, Marner needs to go. I've said this nicely in the past even when he was having great years and his fanboys on here mocked this opinion, some even suggesting he makes Matthews a goal scorer. JTs contract has to expire. It's that simple. Brodie won't be re upped, he had a couple of good years, but is not in the future here. This Cap Space is needed and there are no gymnastics that can compensate for this.

How badly do they need this cap space in order to get the right players? I let Marner walk without any compensation if it comes down to that. Leafs management cannot be afraid to take bold decisions. They need the right DNA, it's been repeated ad nauseam. Hockey is different. I love the beautiful game too, olympics are great. NHL playoffs has always been a different animal.

Their replacements? Heavy, North/South players who don't score a tonne in the regular season but who will punch above their weight in the playoffs.

If Brad can re-sign Boosh and try and find reasonable ground with Bert and Domi, there is some room here.

The future of building around Matthews is doable. It has to be the same types throughout the line up/ They have Knies for cheap, they have McMann sewn up for three years, ditto for Benoit. There will be cap wiggle room if management can, pardon the expression, find their balls.
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Maybe they can hire you to replace Shanahan.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Maybe handing 21 year old kids the keys to the castle was a bad idea. Then again MLSE hired a President with no management experience who eventually hired a GM with no GM experience who then hired a coach with no experience coaching in the NHL. Doesn’t sound like experience was valued. Inexperience and entitlement destroyed this organization.
100%

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Are you guys actually watching the games? We've been playing very physical, hitting a tonne, and hitting hard too - Reaves and McCabe especially have been laying some bone crunching hits. For some numbers, we're 2nd among all playoff teams in hits so far, with 220 (well ahead of the Bruins, 4th, with 189). FWIW we were 2nd in hits in the regular season too, again tonnes of hard hits, and tonnes of fights and scrums.

We have some absolutely brutal problems, but physicality is not among them. The actual problems that have been hurting us these playoffs:
  1. Our star forwards have sucked. Matthews had one good game but has otherwise been very mediocre, JT hasn't done much, Marner has been terrible, Willy has barely played. Watching real stars like McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Makar, Kucherov, Eichel, Tkachuk … even guys like Marchand, JT Miller and Zibby, it’s just night and day what they’re bringing vs. our core 4
  2. We have a shoestring budget defence. It's fairly good value for the very low cap hit we allocate to it, but there's just not much talent there
  3. Shockingly bad special teams. Our PP is completely impotent, almost every PP we generate basically nothing, other than momentum for the Bruins after they kill it off with ease. Lots of failed zone entries, and even when we get a cycle set up, it's predictable and easily countered, almost never generating a high quality scoring chance. Our PK is total trash too, leaking great chances like crazy. We have a terrible 54% PK (6 goals allowed over 13 PKs) and equally terrible 7% PP (1 goal scored over 14 PPs), bottom 3 in the playoffs in both
I think all 3 points basically come down to the core 4. 1 and 3 is them directly choking, and 2 is a side-effect of their greed, just no money for quality dmen when we're overpaying them so badly. Although I'd also blame the coaching staff for the poor special teams - seems the Bruins have game-planned beautifully for our PP/PK, while we haven't adapted at all.

The problem is not physicality, the guys who were brought in to make us more physical and gritty have done their job. The problem is the above 3 points.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Out hit them 49-23. The problem is shotblocking. 6-27. Bruins are waaaaaaaay better at standing in the shooting lanes.

That must bee a coaching thing.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad