Why did it only recently become important for NHL teams to their AHL affiliate close?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Too easy.

Everybody knows the distance from NH or MA to Cal-i-forn-i-a is really far. Sure you could hop on a plane but I'm sure its not cheap and neither are pro sports tickets that I doubt many if any would fly out there and pay the expenses necessary to take in games.

I forgot, like Hutch you know everything, right?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
A FEW examples:

Sharks were in Boston. Fans bought a luxury box. I saw a few dozen Worcester Sharks jerseys and saw at least 75 people I knew from Worcester Sharks games. Making the trip to Boston which most people hate. And at least half of them would never go to a Providence Bruins game. My Facebook and Twitter blows up as well about the Barracuda and Sharks. And these people are still FB or Twitter friends/followers with the former Worcester players.

They purchase AHL Live and watch games (or find other ways). People still chat with the old Worcester (now SJ) play-by-play guy DAILY.

The other day there were quite a few tweets and posts from Worcester Sharks fans on the anniversary of the late Tom Cavanagh's untimely passing.

I'm done. Because you think you are never wrong - bordering on sociopathic. But stick to what you know - we could use the silence.

Its funny you say that I act like I'm never wrong when I could claim that for you and a few others here as well. 75 people? Cool that's not much of a fanbase. That's the group I was talking about. The delusional few who thinks the parent club/fans care about them when in reality they don't. I didn't say there werent people who wouldn't but its a small number to the point of unimportant.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Its funny you say that I act like I'm never wrong when I could claim that for you and a few others here as well. 75 people? Cool that's not much of a fanbase. That's the group I was talking about. The delusional few who thinks the parent club/fans care about them when in reality they don't. I didn't say there werent people who wouldn't but its a small number to the point of unimportant.

So you're saying the 75 folks he saw were the entirely of the fan base here that still pays attention to the San Jose Sharks? That there wasn't a single person who was a Worcester Sharks fans that still follows the San Jose Sharks that didn't go into Boston on a Tuesday night to see San Jose and Boston play?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Fans follow the progress of players they watched and cheered for in the minors no matter where they end up. At the very least, you're concerned the NHL team stays healthy and plays well and keeps it's hands off your club. I suppose cynical people view things different.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So you're saying the 75 folks he saw were the entirely of the fan base here that still pays attention to the San Jose Sharks? That there wasn't a single person who was a Worcester Sharks fans that still follows the San Jose Sharks that didn't go into Boston on a Tuesday night to see San Jose and Boston play?

Obviously either way it can't exactly be proven but I would say it would probably be the vast majority. I can't imagine there are just hundreds of San Jose Sharks fans in Worcester, Mass. I guess I could see it in Manchester because bandwagoning is coo to do in Amerikkal and the Kings won multiple titles in recent times. More than the Bruins have won the last like 40 years.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Fans follow the progress of players they watched and cheered for in the minors no matter where they end up. At the very least, you're concerned the NHL team stays healthy and plays well and keeps it's hands off your club. I suppose cynical people view things different.

Interesting you mention the part about health and keeping their mitts off tour club. I can see that though it wouldn't make me become a fan of the team. Its a selfish/cynical view though. Its kind of a one way street. I'm sure ECHL fans think the same about the higher ups. I can get that point of perspective but it wouldn't make me a fan of the team. The relationships are one sided. Very rarely will the higher league help out the team in the lower league. Usually at the end of a season you won't get your necessary guys back come playoff time even if the team a league up from you is way out of the race. I just see the selfish honest view of what it is. I get the job is to serve the higher ups but at the same time they totally abuse that notion too.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Obviously either way it can't exactly be proven but I would say it would probably be the vast majority. I can't imagine there are just hundreds of San Jose Sharks fans in Worcester, Mass. I guess I could see it in Manchester because bandwagoning is coo to do in Amerikkal and the Kings won multiple titles in recent times. More than the Bruins have won the last like 40 years.

Please recall you started your opinion on this matter with "Highly doubt anybody" and now we're at the amount that was there is "the vast majority". Can't you just admit you're talking out your rear end and make stuff up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad