Why did Hall flourish with Draisaitl but not with McDavid?

Gloss233

Jul 17, 2010
Edmonton
They played together for like 10 games tops, and that was the first 10 games of McDavids career. How is this even a question you're asking yourself.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
They played together for like 10 games tops, and that was the first 10 games of McDavids career. How is this even a question you're asking yourself.

It wasn't even close to that long more like 4 games. Then Mcdavid dominated with Yak for a slightly greater amount of games and then Mcdavid got injured at what game 11 of the season?

This shouldn't be a thread, 5 or less games is probably too small of a sample size.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Timing.

Hall was going to unleash with any center you toss him at that time.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Settle down. OP isn't an Oilers fan, that's why he asked.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Besides the aformentioned fact that they only played like 4 games together and McDavid just started in the league. Hall is also a notorious slow starter. So there's three possible reasons.

One other reason kicking around the Oilers' boards is that Hall likes to carry the puck and so does McDavid. Two drivers' of their own lines might make for difficult chemistry. But again, small sample size.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I want to see the Oilers try Hall on his off-side at RW as 97s triggerman.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

They had 74:50 even strength minutes together total on the season, given that there is going to be some natural overlap just from partial line changes and occasional late game line blender tactics that's more like 4 games worth of them being purposefully matched together.

Better question is can Draisaitl produce like a top 6 forward without Hall next to him.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I want to see the Oilers try Hall on his off-side at RW as 97s triggerman.
Yes to that and Hall needs to defer to McD to drive that line and distribute the puck. I think Hall and McDavid could very dangerous together and it would allow the Oilers to reunite RNH, Ebs and Pou who had chemistry way back when. Then the question becomes who do you play with Hall and McD, Maroon definitely showed he belongs in the top six but so did Drai as well.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Better question is can Draisaitl produce like a top 6 forward without Hall next to him.

I think so.

Draisaitl's hockey sense is being underrated in this thread. His play did fall off during the time of his illness (see that nagging cough in his interviews) and he's not overly effective on the PP except to help carry the puck in.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Yes to that and Hall needs to defer to McD to drive that line and distribute the puck. I think Hall and McDavid could very dangerous together and it would allow the Oilers to reunite RNH, Ebs and Pou who had chemistry way back when. Then the question becomes who do you play with Hall and McD, Maroon definitely showed he belongs in the top six but so did Drai as well.

I think this is the big thing. Hall is used to being the driver on his team let alone line and with McDavid things are different. He needed to play differently when with McDavid then he ever has before. there is a learning curve he's had to go through.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hall and McDavid are drivers in the sense that they like to push the pace and want possession of the puck at all times. Draisaitl is more of a complimentary player who likes to dish off to other players on his line and doesn't like to have possession of the puck for very long. At least that's what I've noticed

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Hall had one of the lowest scoring seasons of his career ppg wise... Don't know if I'd say the flourished. That being said when mcdavid is on the ice he should transition the puck l. Halls ability makes him a very good transition player as well. Mcdavid requires a sniper and a retriever on his lone. You could argue hall is good at retrieved but I would say drai did that on their line.

Tldr hall and mcdavid overlap in skill set and mcdavid is better so hall having the puck makes the line seem less effective.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Hall had one of the lowest scoring seasons of his career ppg wise... Don't know if I'd say the flourished. That being said when mcdavid is on the ice he should transition the puck l. Halls ability makes him a very good transition player as well. Mcdavid requires a sniper and a retriever on his lone. You could argue hall is good at retrieved but I would say drai did that on their line.

Tldr hall and mcdavid overlap in skill set and mcdavid is better so hall having the puck makes the line seem less effective.

Drais is definitely the guy retrieving pucks. Did well with Poo and RNh. Did well with everyone. Slick. Slick. Slick,

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Draisaitl is good at retrieving pucks, good on the dot, great at carrying the puck out of the d-zone and into the o-zone, great at shielding the pucks along he boards. His negatives are - doesn't like to shoot, not accurate sniper, slow first step, not physical consistently, questionable fitness.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Draisaitl is good at retrieving pucks, good on the dot, great at carrying the puck out of the d-zone and into the o-zone, great at shielding the pucks along he boards. His negatives are - doesn't like to shoot, not accurate sniper, slow first step, not physical consistently, questionable fitness.

questionable fitness? you mean like how Toewslite Larkin died after about 40 games? First step improved considerably enough that if i had the videos this year i can definitely show his first step and gear on turnovers where he gets enough speed to counter effectively (which is what that first step is needed for). his top end speed is nhl speed. No problems leading Hall to the line. no problems keeping up.

82 game fitness comes eventually for all these prospects. first full nhl season. went better than i would have ever imagined. best player on the ice in McDs absence MANY MANY nights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad