Why did Gretzky get traded?

AltaHab

Mar 5, 2004
Sylvan Lake
I remember hearing a story that Gretzky was actually friendly with McNall before the trade, and he was in McNall's office when McNall called Pocklington and asked about obtaining Gretzky to play for the Kings. He had Pocklington on speaker phone, and Pocklington did not know Gretzky was in the office. Apparently Pocklington when on a tirade and said some nasty things about Wayne, and Janet in particular... and that really changed Wayne's attitude about leaving the Oilers.

I believe I heard this in a radio interview with Jim Taylor a few years ago.

Dave Rutherford of QR770 interviewed McNall about three years ago and McNall recounted the same story... that Gretz was in his office when the call was made and played over the speaker phone. After the call Wayne didn't want to play for Oilers anymore.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Dave Rutherford of QR770 interviewed McNall about three years ago and McNall recounted the same story... that Gretz was in his office when the call was made and played over the speaker phone. After the call Wayne didn't want to play for Oilers anymore.

Wayne recounted the story in his autobiography as well

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
You have made 39 posts and most bash Gretzky, me or other posters. Perhaps you should relax a little?

:sarcasm: Striking similarities between you and your hero. :whine:
I've actually only been rude to one other poster on here and he deserved it too. Your remarks are consistently glib and come across with a tone of arrogance. I'm not above giving it back to you.

Ogopogo*

:sarcasm: Striking similarities between you and your hero. :whine:
I've actually only been rude to one other poster on here and he deserved it too. Your remarks are consistently glib and come across with a tone of arrogance. I'm not above giving it back to you.

chooch? Is that you?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
The Los Angeles Kings were out of the playoff picture and dealt Gretzky to St. Louis, as they were looking for some prospects and draft picks to help in their rebuild.

Oh wait, wrong trade.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
It would be good for hockey if one considers dismantling the last hockey dynasty good for hockey. There has not been an NHL dynasty since the Oilers time. It was good box office for a time but long term?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I'm only 20 so I'm not old enough to remember the circumstances behind it. Any insight?

The NHL organized the trade. Gretzky being traded was noting more then the NHL's attempt to break up the Oiler dynasty. If Gretzky had stayed in Edmonton they would have won cups untill the mid 90's. Gretzky went to LA to increase the popularity of hockey on the west coast and thats exactly what happend. The NHL wanted to expand sense the mid 80's and they wanted the west coast and they got it. If it wasnt for the gretzky trade there would be no Ducks or Sharks. When Gretzky came to town he was the man and everyone wanted to see him, it was the popular thing to do at the time and that made hockey fans out of a bunch of people.

Ogopogo*

The NHL organized the trade. Gretzky being traded was noting more then the NHL's attempt to break up the Oiler dynasty. If Gretzky had stayed in Edmonton they would have won cups untill the mid 90's. Gretzky went to LA to increase the popularity of hockey on the west coast and thats exactly what happend. The NHL wanted to expand sense the mid 80's and they wanted the west coast and they got it. If it wasnt for the gretzky trade there would be no Ducks or Sharks. When Gretzky came to town he was the man and everyone wanted to see him, it was the popular thing to do at the time and that made hockey fans out of a bunch of people.

What's your take on the moon landing?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Yeah they were. 5 Cups in 7 years, plus 1 other final appearance. They were definitely a dynasty. I would put them up there with the 40's Leafs, 50's Red Wings and 60's Canadiens. Possibly above all those teams.

They never won it more than 2 years in a row, that is not a dynasty. The fact of the matter is, they were not unstoppable like the Islanders (last true dynasty) were.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
The tears dried pretty quickly, as he was all smiles at the press conference in LA, shortly thereafter.

For all of the questionable business dealings of Pocklington and McNall, Gretzky had plenty of clout in engineering his own trade.

Shall we say a parallel to Smyth's emotional press conference leaving Edmonton and then he was smiling in the locker room when he got to Long Island. I think the tears were definitely sincere- for both guys actually. As far as Wayne on a personal level I think he knew in his heart he could not stay in the fishbowl that was Edmonton especially after he got married. Janet was prepared to live in Edmonton during the season and then they would live in LA in the offseason but it would have been really too crazy for them to try to have any sort of a normal upbring for their kids in Edmonton- they knew it. Wayne had vibes something was going to happen before the wedding as well because he dad told him not to buy a house right away because he had heard the rumors he was about to be sold- and make no mistake it was a sale not a trade any way you look at it. One of the biggest what ifs though- just how many more cups Wayne and the Oilers could have won- I think at least 2 or 3 more- and would have been a great final if you could have had the Pens and Lemieux against Wayne and the Oilers- what a final that would have been.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They never won it more than 2 years in a row, that is not a dynasty. The fact of the matter is, they were not unstoppable like the Islanders (last true dynasty) were.

Can you please provide a link showing us why a team must win 3 Cups in a row before being considered a dynasty.

There are only a handful of teams that have won 5 Cups. The ones that took home 5 in 7 years can be counted on one hand with a few fingers to spare.

GarretJoseph*

Can you please provide a link showing us why a team must win 3 Cups in a row before being considered a dynasty.

There are only a handful of teams that have won 5 Cups. The ones that took home 5 in 7 years can be counted on one hand with a few fingers to spare.

I think the Oilers were one!

Heres what I found..

Dynasty (sports)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Sports dynasty)
Jump to: navigation, search
In sports, the term dynasty is often used to refer to a team that dominates their sport for a period of time. Such dominance is usually recognized only after a team has won many championships in a given time (3 in 4 years, 5 in 8 years, 7 in 12 years, etc.). The exact requirements for the label is a frequent topic of debate among sports fans.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
When Pocklington and McNall made that deal the motives were totally selfish and had little to do with a sense of altruism and good for hockey ideals behind it all. The Gretzky trade was a watershed event that forever changed the face of NHL hockey. If a once in lifetime superstar was up for sale so too were the lesser mortals that graced NHL ice surfaces.The TRADE demystified the game to the die hards and purists and effectively ended dynastic rule for Stanley Cup supremacy.Gretzky was truly larger than the game of hockey itself one of those rare individuals who transcended what happend on the ice. The idol got smashed to speak, which resulted in a general cheapening of the game itself. None of those outcomes can be blamed on Gretzky.One of the greatest players of his time didn't finish his career where it all started and never got close the the glory he experienced in Edmonton.
There is no shortage of people who will insist that Gretzky going to LA was wonderful for hockey.The reality is Gretzky will always be remembered for his magical seasons with the Edmonton Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->