Why did Burke take Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

Don't get me wrong, Ryan seems like a great prospect but the ducks have several forwards in their system. Getzlaf,Lupul and Perry amongst the higher end guys and while a future line of lupul,getzlaf and ryan sounds good I have to ask why he would pass Jack Johnson who is just a good a prospect, if not better who also fills a need?

I don't think i'm the only one wondering why either.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
Don't get me wrong, Ryan seems like a great prospect but the ducks have several forwards in their system. Getzlaf,Lupul and Perry amongst the higher end guys and while a future line of lupul,getzlaf and ryan sounds good I have to ask why he would pass Jack Johnson who is just a good a prospect, if not better who also fills a need?

I don't think i'm the only one wondering why either.

Burke himself explained it this way "you draft the best player/s possible and fill needs through trades." and he said it brashly as you might expect.

that may help you out...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I had a dream a couple of nights before that lottery that Anaheim took Ryan 2nd overall. I didn't know they would be picking second, and I didn't expect Ryan to go 2nd. Wierd.

Randall Graves*

Boomhower said:
Burke himself explained it this way "you draft the best player/s possible and fill needs through trades." and he said it brashly as you might expect.

that may help you out...
yes but I do not think ryan was the clear cut BPA. His interview may have been great but your loaded with forwards and thin on defense and the top defensive prospect is as good or better than Ryan.

I hope burke didn't take Ryan thinking he could fleece bobby clarke.

turnbuckle*

Anaheim took Bobby Ryan because it was the consensus of many scouts that he was the second best player in this draft. I have been telling you guys that for the past few weeks (that Ryan was being underrated on this board by people who make up their minds on prospect by looking at draft lists) and that knocks on his skating were overblown.

It was also noted many times that Latendresse was not likely going to be a first-round pick based on concerns with his skating; such was the case. Now there are Hab fans gushing about how he was a second round steal - no he was not. He was picked in the area that most scouts had him pegged, whether they're right or wrong. Pokoluk at 14th, Finley and Oshie in the first round - just other reminders of how we can't trust that the pre-draft rankings are gospel.

I still remember Calgary being lambasted for taking Derek Morris a few years back, mainly because he was ranked 80th or so on most lists. He ended up being one of the best players from the first round, and they got him witht he 13th pick.

Let's give this draft five years at least.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
turnbuckle said:
I still remember Calgary being lambasted for taking Derek Morris a few years back, mainly because he was ranked 80th or so on most lists. He ended up being one of the best players from the first round, and they got him witht he 13th pick.

Yeah, I remember that ... actually CSB had him ranked 100-something. It was pretty shocking, and everyone said, "Oh, you could have had him later." But then, what if someone else saw what you saw in him? Sometimes, if you're really sold on someone, you gotta take him regardless of anything else.

Another example was Peter Forsberg ... when the Flyers took him, everyone said he was drafted way too high. But their scouts said he was the best player available.

At some point, you just have to trust your scouts. After all, if a team's just going to go by general consensus, why bother hiring scouts at all? Might as well save themselves the money, buy a copy of the draft previews for a few bucks each, and draft strictly by the rankings. I'm sure if they felt Ryan and Johnson were equal they'd have gone with the bigger need ... that they went with Ryan suggests that they felt he was far and away the best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->