Why could Brady Murray to play of the U.S when he is Canadian ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funkymoses

Frenzy1 said:
It is too bad that many Canadians hate/don't like the US. The vast majority of Americans bear no ill-will to Canadians, too bad the feeling isn't mutual.

A vast majority of Americans make through their entire lives without even thinking about Canada. I'd say just about everyone not in a state that borders our friendly neighbor to the north. Too bad, really... if I lived in Kentucky I wouldn't know what a puck is.

KariyaIsGod*

I think i understand Brady. He's going to play for the better country. Can't blame him for that.

Now hold on one second there son.

Even if the US beats our Team Canada, it will always be known that we didn't have our best players since they were already in the NHL...

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
KariyaIsGod said:
Now hold on one second there son.

Even if the US beats our Team Canada, it will always be known that we didn't have our best players since they were already in the NHL...
Yeah, can you imagine what Nash would have made?

KariyaIsGod*

L3DZ3P said:
Yeah, can you imagine what Nash would have made?

Exactly. Team Canada is short handed in this tourny. They are the Russian Selects version of Team Canada minus a few guys who are outstanding.

Old Hickory

Rabid Ranger said:
This article will clarify one thing:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031201.wcanadajr02/BNStory/Sports/

Murray's mother IS American, and thus he was a dual-citizen at birth.
That's weird, it read something completely different the other day

This is big news north of the border, where the junior tournaments are sacred. Andy and Ruth Murray are Canadian, but Brady was born in Florida in August 1984 when Andy was studying for a master's degree in sports management.
link

Who to believe? :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
kingsjohn said:
That's weird, it read something completely different the other day

link

Who to believe? :dunno:

Who knows? I've seen a lot of conflicting information. He's eligible to play for the U.S., so that's all that matters.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
something that needs to be kept in mind is that murray is 19...if he was 16 or 17, you could say 'wait till next year to get your chance' but this is his last chance to play in the WJC...and other than world championships if he is on a non-playoff team, he is unlikely to make the canadian olympic teams in the future if nhlers are still being used. so sticking with team canada could mean never playing in international competition

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Sorry, I just don't agree with all this patriatism stuff here. Yeah, it would be nice to see Brady try out for team Canada. But so what? He got an opportunity to play for Team USA. No try out, nothing. Van might be saying this is NOT challenging yourself, but I don't agree. Sure, it's not much of a challenge to make the team, but playing in this tournament is a great challenge and can only benefit his hockey career. I can honestly say if I had the opportunity to have a guaranteed plane ticket to Finland, or have to take my chances with Team Canada, which for Brady is likely only 50/50 at best I'd imagine, then I'd be signing up for team USA. All this sleeping with the enemy stuff I think is silly. It's not like he signed up with the Taliban. Take a step back. He's taking hold of a golden opportunity to advance his career by playing in a high profile tournament. That's all. Why take a chance when you can go there for sure? And I don't see anyone commenting on the fact that Murray gave Canada a shot by going to the Summer evaluation when he could have easily said no and gone with the USA then. He gave Canada a chance, but decided to take the sure thing. Sorry, I fail to see how doing what is best for your career should be a bad, unpatriotic thing, lazy way out type thing. Like one other poster said, "if it meant playing in the WJC, I'd play for Mongolia". Well, sign me up for Mongolia too. Heck, I want to play so bad, I'd even be in goal for Mongolia :p

jesseelder

May 3, 2002
Visit site
Adam Deadmarsh was born in Canada and hails from Trail, BC. His mother is an American and I believed she wanted Adam to play for the United States and that is the reason he plays for Team USA in international competitions.

beerpaul*

VOB...it must be about 4 years since our last arguement! Anyways, I don't know who Murray is, but I'd be willing to wager he doesn't have size in his corner. You say Canada has been making grave mistakes the past years, in their player selection...and I somewhat agree. Canada's love of size enabled them to omit Mike Comrie, Marc Savard, Andy Macdonald...out of the Canadian Junior Program. Even though Savard was winning multiple scoring titles in the OHL, he never got an invite. Savard's size? 5'8".
VOB said:
This is very good news for the U.S. as it gives them a quality scoring threat to replace either Brown or Fritche. I am very surprised that Canada did not make a bigger push in attempting to land Murray. Canada has lost alot of top talent to the NHL and a player like Murray is idealy suited to the international game. Canada has been making grave mistakes in the past five or six years in terms of picking the right players. Murray really wanted to play for Canada (he even snubbed the U.S. summer evaluation camp and for those who don't know, yes he was invited to Lake Placid but wanted to play for Canada instead) and Hockey Canada has really dropped the ball with this one.

If the games were to be held in Canada and were to be played using the red line than I would have to say that Murray would have a difficult road in making the team but the International game has now changed. The games are held on Olympic ice sheets and have no redline. This really suits the small speedy forward, such as a Brady Murray.

Canada needs to understand this new reality and I suspect that losing Murray will really haunt Canada in this upcoming tournament.
;)

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
What a funny and sad lot some of you blokes are. From both sides. "He couldn't make team Canada" if that is the case mate, they why do you or anyone else care that he wen't to team USA? The truth must be that you DO think he would make the team otherwise you would say "At least Murray will get to play on the American team, another Canadian showing the Yanks the way" or that sort of thing.

As for the American pride thing well, remember that Hockey came from canada (of a sort) when you are arguing that you are the better team. Of course, it does crack me up to see Candian fans saying that thier team isn't as good because its players aren't available when there are several young players who are in the NHL for all of the teams who are being allowed to play.

So again, some of you are sad and your agruements are lacking any logic at all and some of you seem to get it but in truth, I am a kiwi so what do I know about these things? Only that I know a sad arguement without substance when I see one.

Cheers.

leafaholix*

jesseelder said:
Adam Deadmarsh was born in Canada and hails from Trail, BC. His mother is an American and I believed she wanted Adam to play for the United States and that is the reason he plays for Team USA in international competitions.
He was actually cut from the Canadian team and was offered a spot on the US roster.

He was born in BC and still lives there.

He did not "choose" the American team over team Canada... he either played for the US or didn't play in the tournament at all.

Much like Murray.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Another thing that could be potentially funny for the "Murray couldn't play for the Canadian team" crows will be if he is capable of playing well and or better than his team Canada opponents.

Imagine the horror to you lot if Murray has a good tourney. Silly.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
punchy1 said:
Another thing that could be potentially funny for the "Murray couldn't play for the Canadian team" crows will be if he is capable of playing well and or better than his team Canada opponents.

The US is supposed by some to have a team that could go all the way. So his chances of having a good tourney are high, probably higher than if he played for Canada by icetime alone.

leafaholix*

punchy1 said:

If he actually chose to play for US prior to even considering team Canada... there would be no "crows".

It's quite obvious he chose the US team after he realized that his chances were 50/50 to make Team Canada.

Game Misconduct

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Cerebral said:
I went to school with Brady in Calgary for 3 or 4 years and actually played hockey with him for a couple of seasons in Peewee. He was always one of the worst cheap shot artists and I was glad I was playing with him and not against him.. :)

The more I learn about this kid, the more I like him!

I have watched him play a fair amount, and I've seen none of this behavior. That being said, I hope I'm just missing it! :p

Game Misconduct

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Those of you suggesting that Brady's hockey achievements resulted from favoritism from his father don't know what you're talking about. He's a good player who works very hard, and he's earned what he's achieved. His father may have his favorite players (Brad Chartrand comes to mind), but that's because those players do what is asked of them.

Jebus

That boulder?
May 29, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
I'm with BeerPaul on this one. There's a lot of talk about Brady "not being good enough" to make the Canadian team. I wonder what line he'd be on if he were two inches taller.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jebus said:
I'm with BeerPaul on this one. There's a lot of talk about Brady "not being good enough" to make the Canadian team. I wonder what line he'd be on if he were two inches taller.

Is that really relevant when a player like Nigel Dawes made the team? Bottom line: Murray is tremendously skilled and would have had a fair chance at making the Canadian WJC squad.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Right piere but if he does have a solid tourney playing for America and they go on to do better than Canada then your whole arguement comes crashing down around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad