Why Care About Hockey's Popularity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I care if Hockey is more popular to be honest. That helps the game. Is Sumo wrestling really big outside of Japan? No. And why is it never going to be an Olympic event? Because Japan would win all the medals.

Hockey is better when Europe and Russia and US is interested in it. Not just Canada. I dont turn my nose up at anyone who doesnt like Hockey though. Its their choice. If you live in Alabama or Louisiana Hockey isnt your first choice. I dont expect anyone down there to know who Rick Nash is.

Oh and this just doesnt apply to Hockey but if NASCAR is the only sport you follow, in other words if you watch the Indy 500 and not the Super Bowl or the World Series then I'm sorry you ARE trailer trash, or at least borderline.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The Indy 500 is not NASCAR. :shakehead

They do have a race there at the speedway but it's the Brickyard 400 (though I heard they changed the name this year).

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
egger66 said:
OK, what then? I think that it is just an excuse to whine about something. Really, who gives a good #^&$$ whether the NHL is more popular? It really doesn't matter one way or the other.
Hey arent you the guy that described the signing of Gonchar by saying:

"The stupidity of this move is astounding. Absolutely astounding."

zeppelin97

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
More popularity means more Hockey Coverage.

What pisses me off sometimes is the lack of hockey coverage here in Southern California in newspapers, tv, and radio. If i missed a Kings game i want to see highlights and interviews on tv (like the Lakers). In depth coverage (like Frolov's contract situation) is non-existant here in Southern California.

Just as an example, I found out about Frolov's contract situation on Washingtons message board. Thats right Washingtons Capitals Message board! Not a peep or word so far from any radio or newspapers here locally. Hfboards is the best source for Kings coverage.

Last edited:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Big Phil said:
I care if Hockey is more popular to be honest. That helps the game. Is Sumo wrestling really big outside of Japan? No. And why is it never going to be an Olympic event? Because Japan would win all the medals.

Hockey is better when Europe and Russia and US is interested in it. Not just Canada. I dont turn my nose up at anyone who doesnt like Hockey though. Its their choice. If you live in Alabama or Louisiana Hockey isnt your first choice. I dont expect anyone down there to know who Rick Nash is.

If that's the concern, then why is there no talk about making the game more popular around the world? All this talk seems to be about making it more popular in the US, I haven't heard anyone bemoan the lack of popularity in Spain or Greece. I agree, hockey is better when there are many countries producing players, but it was popular in many countries decades ago, and those countries have thier own leagues that have a much much bigger impact on how popular the game is there than what rule changes the NHL makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->