Why Bill Sweatt is ranked 61th by Red Line?

Randall Graves*

Sweatt is one of the most underrated players in this draft he reminds me of Chris Kunitz. He had nearly a ppg as a freshmen what's wrong with that?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sweatt is one of the most underrated players in this draft he reminds me of Chris Kunitz. He had nearly a ppg as a freshmen what's wrong with that?

Darren Haydar had 61 pts in 40 games as a freshman.

Mark Hartigan had 42 pts in 39 games as a freshman.

:) Im not saying Sweatt is in that mold, stats are nice and all, but at the end of the day they only tell part of the picture.

For the record I see Sweatt going top 20 easily, but Im just defending Woodlief for having a different opinion (god forbid).

Randall Graves*

:) Im not saying Sweatt is in that mold, stats are nice and all, but at the end of the day they only tell part of the picture.

For the record I see Sweatt going top 20 easily, but Im just defending Woodlief for having a different opinion (god forbid).
I've seen him play, it's not just about point totals. Next year when he has a bigger role at the WJC's then people will start realizing how good he is, he'll be like T.J Oshie and have people saying "what the **** why did he go so low"

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I'll try and make the comparison from a collegiate standpoint (you can take it for whatever it's worth), since I remember Kesler's OSU days pretty well.

While I thought Kesler was pretty fast in college, I think Sweatt is faster. I think Kesler is better finisher but I think Sweatt is FAR better defensively. Both players (as collegians) are very good with puck and can put the offensive numbers, not just goals. Now also keep in the mind two things here: 1) Ohio State and Colorado College play very different styles and 2) Kesler played and Sweatt plays relatively different roles on their respective collegiate teams.

I hope this helps.

That is helpful, thank you. Interesting take.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've seen him play, it's not just about point totals. Next year when he has a bigger role at the WJC's then people will start realizing how good he is, he'll be like T.J Oshie and have people saying "what the **** why did he go so low"

I know its not just the point totals, but it seems everyone in the thread has been saying "he is ppg as a freshmen"

I dont think hes near as dynamic as Oshie, they are different players.

Randall Graves*

I know its not just the point totals, but it seems everyone in the thread has been saying "he is ppg as a freshmen"

I dont think hes near as dynamic as Oshie, they are different players.
I don't think he's as dynamic either, but remember in 05 there was considerable more high end talent IMO and people were still saying that about Oshie.

I think it could be similar because Sweatt does alot of positive things on the ice and does have offensive ability, enough to be a good second liner or great third liner.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Redline is actually pretty complimentary of Sweatt in the write-up, but they just question his upside - which they categorize as 2nd or 3rd line role player at best. They say he doesn't have great hands or one on one moves and has created most of his offensive chances based on his speed, which by itself won't necessarily translate to chances in the NHL (but works plenty well in the NCAA). They do say his speed is second to none. Style is compared to Marchant or McCammond. They also say he will get selected well before where they have him ranked.

It sounds like they've seen him play plenty and just aren't that big on him. Nothing wrong with that, even if you disagree. He seems more of a safe bet than potential homerun. The late 1st and 2nd round are full of those types, so I'm sure he'll go somewhere in there. I can't see him dropping past 25 myself.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I like Sweatt, but I do think it's interesting that the majority of posters around here love Sweatt and despise Gillies even though they project to be similar type players. I realise the points/per/game is likely a major factor in that, but even so, most people are not saying Sweatt will be a scorer anyway.

Just an observation on how opinions are contagious around here. :)

Fan of The Game

Apr 3, 2007
USA
I know I am a little late in the convo, but this is sad, at worst, he is in the middle second round. I would be surprised to see some team in the 1st take a small risk on him in the 1st round. Sorta like a Wheeler pick but not as early.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What I like about Sweatt is that if his offensive game doesn't pan out in the nhl, he stands a very good chance of making it on the lower lines imo. I've been impressed with him every time I've seen him in that he always keeps his feet moving, has impressive speed and has some sandpaper to his game. I don't have a clue if his offensive game will translate or not, but he's already a guy to guy at CC from what I've seen this year (though I mainly followed Minnesota) so he'll have a couple years to work on his offensive game.

I'd love to see him drop to 22nd overall but I suspect that won't happen, although this years draft is tough to call.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Question: Out of these three Bill Sweatt, Mike Hoeffel and Max Pacioretty.. who would be the better pick? I like all three and I always keep switching them around in my head.

I would go in this order...Sweatt, Pacioretty the Hoeffel. All 3 have questions about their ability to finish if they make it to the NHL so I would take Sweatt and his wheels/defensive pk abilities first as he is the safest. Pacioretty is an intriguing size/speed combo but many people wonder about his hockey sense and I believe he only scored about 20 goals in the USHL in 52 games...which is not bad but would make me a little hesitant to use a top 15 pick on him although there is some projection there. Hoeffel also has questionable hockey sense and I read one scout question his fire for the game...have not read as much about him though.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Haha. Yeah, I don't get what the big deal is. I've punched holes through plenty of things I shouldn't have, including windows, and I'm not lunatic. My highschool teacher reported me to the school cop one year, though. I punched through a window at my house, and a piece of glass cut my wrist open. When I came to school with a bandaged wrist, my poor Math teacher thought I was a suicide case. The cop just called my parents and made sure that I wasn't more of threat to myself beyond just being an idiot. I would've thought the the school therapist would have been more appropriate than the school cop, but I was greatfull for dodging that bullet. "So, Trent, tell me about your feelings...blah, blah, blah...", god damn that would have been HORRIBLE.

So are you somehow comparing yourself and your actions to a potential 1st round pick? There is a reason why you are on this board and not playing in the NHL. :)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So are you somehow comparing yourself and your actions to a potential 1st round pick? There is a reason why you are on this board and not playing in the NHL. :)

My only point was that I've punched trough windows and am not an unstable person. The reason I'm not in the NHL is because I suck at playing hockey. It has nothing to do with character. We are not talking about surgeons, priests, or astronauts, here. These are hockey players. Who cares if they are a bit rough around the edges, or a bit hot headed? Personally, I wouldn't want a team full of choir boys. I don't think you'd get too far with one of those.

Last edited:

Mobbex

Jul 29, 2006
Montreal
Like young people dont make stupid decisions. Pronger still does but is considered a top D and Wolski fought in a club and look where he is now.

Maybe its a tactic so the Avs can take him with their 2nd round pick? :sarcasm:

Wolski fought to protect his girlfriend, he's a Jedi.:sarcasm:

I agree about Pronger though, the man has 0% self control. He could have cost his team the cup. He's a thug.:p:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I haven't seen enough of Sweatt to make a definitive call on his draft status but I have seen him play and he is a breathtaking skater. Looked a little like Mike Gartner. His scoring certainly picked up in second half of his freshman year (after WJC)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm clueless when it comes to actually scouting prospects, but what people are saying about Sweatt, would Daniel Paille be a good comparison as far as recent prospects go?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sweatt is playing D1 hockey in his draft year. That's not all that common. I can understand why he wasn't scoring as much in the first half of this season. I'm sure it's a pretty big adjustment. The way his scoring picked up in the second half, makes me think that his offensive ability is being underrated, around here. I probably only saw one or two Colorado College games this year, and I didn't notice Sweatt, so I'm just going on numbers, by the way.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Hartigan was a 22 year old Freshman and was (obviously) not drafted. Haydar was 19 and ended up a 9th round pick even with those stats mostly due to his small size.
Yes stats don't mean everything, but a couple better examples could have been used. :)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hartigan was a 22 year old Freshman and was (obviously) not drafted. Haydar was 19 and ended up a 9th round pick even with those stats mostly due to his small size.
Yes stats don't mean everything, but a couple better examples could have been used. :)

I was lazy lol :)

But my point still stands...stats dont tell half the story...

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
Because all the way down to 61 is insane, thats out of the second round!!!!! There isnt 60 players better than Sweatt, let alone 30. He is a first round talent.

Technically...he IS second round material... Did you forget the comp picks in the second round for not signing first round pics??? I know Minnesota has one...but I don't know offhand who else has one...if anyone else has one at all...

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
I don't see Sweatt in the first round either...but not as low as 61... I'm talking very high second round... If he goes under #35...I'll be surprised...

He's an impressive player whenon the ice...but I don't think that cast is going to win many fans at the draft table...

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I don't see Sweatt in the first round either...but not as low as 61... I'm talking very high second round... If he goes under #35...I'll be surprised...

He's an impressive player whenon the ice...but I don't think that cast is going to win many fans at the draft table...

Agreed, but some rankings had him in the top 10 to 15. There is no way he is top 10 material. Early 2nd to middle 2nd round is where he belongs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad