Why Bill Sweatt is ranked 61th by Red Line?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
To anyone here who knows a bit more about Sweatt's game, how does he compare to Ryan Kesler?

Billy's very good defensively. He saw quite a bit of time on the Tigers PK this year and did very well. He can score (despite some opinions to the contrary) but I don't foresee him being a really big time scorer (like a 50-goal/season pro). He's incredibly fast and he can make the plays at that very high speed too..something that you don't see that much of in college freshmen. Now, I'm not sure how that compares with Kesler right now. Perhaps some of the Vancouver fans here can give you a better comparison.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Billy's very good defensively. He saw quite a bit of time on the Tigers PK this year and did very well. He can score (despite some opinions to the contrary) but I don't foresee him being a really big time scorer (like a 50-goal/season pro). He's incredibly fast and he can make the plays at that very high speed too..something that you don't see that much of in college freshmen. Now, I'm not sure how that compares with Kesler right now. Perhaps some of the Vancouver fans here can give you a better comparison.

I was just wondering because I am a Canuck fan and his game sounded very similar to that of Kesler. Kesler is also a fantastic skater who does everything at full speed, but doesn't really seem to have the hands to complete the package yet.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
He can't score! Exactly. Why would you waste a 1st round pick on a guy that can't finish? I always thought after the WJC that this guy was being ranked way too high. We've all seen these speedsters who can't score even if their life (career) depended on it. Think Doug Smail.

Your right, Shame on Boston for Thornton and Edmonton for Hemsky, just for shame! :shakehead

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I was just wondering because I am a Canuck fan and his game sounded very similar to that of Kesler. Kesler is also a fantastic skater who does everything at full speed, but doesn't really seem to have the hands to complete the package yet.

I'll try and make the comparison from a collegiate standpoint (you can take it for whatever it's worth), since I remember Kesler's OSU days pretty well.

While I thought Kesler was pretty fast in college, I think Sweatt is faster. I think Kesler is better finisher but I think Sweatt is FAR better defensively. Both players (as collegians) are very good with puck and can put the offensive numbers, not just goals. Now also keep in the mind two things here: 1) Ohio State and Colorado College play very different styles and 2) Kesler played and Sweatt plays relatively different roles on their respective collegiate teams.

I hope this helps.

ToneLöc

Dec 18, 2006
Ok, I have seen Sweatt play many times for CC. He is incredibly quick and knows what to do with and without the puck. AND he can finish, he has a great shot and knows when to use it or when to pass. Some of his skating moves are just amazing as well. He is the type of player that people pay to watch.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And when they come out of junior with a mature personality, well-considered words, and a spotless record, they're called bland and colourless.

Fact is, people just like to *****.

True. It's at that point where everyone is looking for something to carp about -- we need the draft to just happen already. :D

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
There's a reason ISS Head Scout Mike Oke stated last night on the Team 1260's draft preview that Sweatt would be picked by Boston a #8. People who defend the #61 ranking just don't know a lot.

This is a classic case of "If you don't agree with me you're an idiot"

Woodlief is outspoken and gives his opinions, just because he doesn't conform doesn't mean he doesn't know hockey.

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site
This is a classic case of "If you don't agree with me you're an idiot"

Woodlief is outspoken and gives his opinions, just because he doesn't conform doesn't mean he doesn't know hockey.

When Bill Sweatt is ranked 61st, yah I'm gonna question their hockey knowledge. If you have seen him play, you would clearly see that he isnt the 61st best player coming out of the draft. I question if Woodlief has even seen him play.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
When Bill Sweatt is ranked 61st, yah I'm gonna question their hockey knowledge. If you have seen him play, you would clearly see that he isnt the 61st best player coming out of the draft. I question if Woodlief has even seen him play.

Sometimes it has more than to do with just on ice abilities.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Question: Out of these three Bill Sweatt, Mike Hoeffel and Max Pacioretty.. who would be the better pick? I like all three and I always keep switching them around in my head.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He can't score! Exactly. Why would you waste a 1st round pick on a guy that can't finish? I always thought after the WJC that this guy was being ranked way too high. We've all seen these speedsters who can't score even if their life (career) depended on it. Think Doug Smail.

I know you've just picked Smail as an example of a player type, but really a guy like Smail played 800 games and scored about 200 goals. if you can get a player like that with a late first (let alone the 61st pick) you've done better than most

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Its his opinion...its not like he ranked him 200th...61st, yes that is kind of low for Bill Sweatt but rankings don't predict where guys are going to go...Redline thinks hes the 61st best player available. Period.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
That is not the job of a scouting service, to factor in off-ice ussues. There job is to scout and evaluate what they see on the ice, period.

Yes, they SHOULD factor in off-ice issues....

You're calling Woodlief an idiot, yet you don't think all of these scouting services factor off-ice stuff into their rankings??

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site
Its his opinion...its not like he ranked him 200th...61st, yes that is kind of low for Bill Sweatt but rankings don't predict where guys are going to go...Redline thinks hes the 61st best player available. Period.

?? I know that rankings dont predict where guys are gonna go, thats why I said he's not the 61st best player in the draft. Hes better than that.

Yes, they SHOULD factor in off-ice issues....

You're calling Woodlief an idiot, yet you don't think all of these scouting services factor off-ice stuff into their rankings??

I never once called Woodlief an idiot, I just questioned if he has seen Sweatt play. And no I know that ISS doesnt factor off-ice issues, nor should they. They are expected to do one job, thats scout and evaluate they see on the ice. They do not factor in the players off-ice stuff, because they are not an NHL team selecting these players.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
That is not the job of a scouting service, to factor in off-ice ussues. There job is to scout and evaluate what they see on the ice, period.

Redline makes no bones that they rank players as if they were an actual team, not a third party, and as such, if something sets off alarm bells and they're hesitant about a player, they'll let you know and rank him accordingly (usually adding that the player will go much higher than they have him ranked). Actual NHL teams are the same. They might see red flags around a player most other teams love and rank him a lot lower than others. Or they might love a player that most other teams don't have on their radar at all. I can almost guarantee you that if actual NHL teams posted their rankings on HF's Mock Draft Board, they'd be laughed off the boards.

Roger's Pancreas*

I like him already. If he broke his own hand under his own accord, imagine what he'll do to other players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To anyone here who knows a bit more about Sweatt's game, how does he compare to Ryan Kesler?

Drafting Bill Sweatt would be like drafting former NHLer Todd Warriner .. IMO

Plenty of flash and dash but will eventually become a defensive forward in the NHL, maybe the team that takes him is hoping they have found the next John Madden..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like him already. If he broke his own hand under his own accord, imagine what he'll do to other players.

Haha. Yeah, I don't get what the big deal is. I've punched holes through plenty of things I shouldn't have, including windows, and I'm not lunatic. My highschool teacher reported me to the school cop one year, though. I punched through a window at my house, and a piece of glass cut my wrist open. When I came to school with a bandaged wrist, my poor Math teacher thought I was a suicide case. The cop just called my parents and made sure that I wasn't more of threat to myself beyond just being an idiot. I would've thought the the school therapist would have been more appropriate than the school cop, but I was greatfull for dodging that bullet. "So, Trent, tell me about your feelings...blah, blah, blah...", god damn that would have been HORRIBLE.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Drafting Bill Sweatt would be like drafting former NHLer Todd Warriner .. IMO

Plenty of flash and dash but will eventually become a defensive forward in the NHL, maybe the team that takes him is hoping they have found the next John Madden..

Getting the next John Madden in the late first round would be just fine with me!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
?? I know that rankings dont predict where guys are gonna go, thats why I said he's not the 61st best player in the draft. Hes better than that.

I never once called Woodlief an idiot, I just questioned if he has seen Sweatt play. And no I know that ISS doesnt factor off-ice issues, nor should they. They are expected to do one job, thats scout and evaluate they see on the ice. They do not factor in the players off-ice stuff, because they are not an NHL team selecting these players.

They factor in Attitude though, which is partly off-ice.

I know you didnt directly call Woodlief an idiot, but questioning his knowledge based on him not agreeing with you is just another way of saying hes not bright.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Getting the next John Madden in the late first round would be just fine with me!

Yes, if he turns into John Madden, that would be best case.

If everyone knew 10 years from now Billy Sweatt would be like John Madden, he would go top 5 in the draft.

Problem is, there is also the chance Sweatt turns into Chad Kilger.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Redline makes no bones that they rank players as if they were an actual team, not a third party, and as such, if something sets off alarm bells and they're hesitant about a player, they'll let you know and rank him accordingly (usually adding that the player will go much higher than they have him ranked). Actual NHL teams are the same. They might see red flags around a player most other teams love and rank him a lot lower than others. Or they might love a player that most other teams don't have on their radar at all. I can almost guarantee you that if actual NHL teams posted their rankings on HF's Mock Draft Board, they'd be laughed off the boards.

Exactly. Its another person's opinion. Like many on here, their opinions will vary, and once someone steps outside the box they get crucified for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad