Why are you following Baseball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Nope that isn't what I said at all but people find it easier to spin it that way so they can whine about how bad their own team is.

I am not complaining about anything i was explaining why I lost interest in baseball. I also wasn't saying that it wasn't enough but that my feeling like the Cardinals had the assets to make a bigger push towards a World Series was frustrating for me and likely contributed to my declining interest.

You lost interest because the Cardinals missed the playoffs two consecutive years and have only made the playoffs 12 of 18 years this century. Do you have any idea how good that is? The only team with more playoff appearances this century are the Yankees and you're complaining about them not doing enough to win.

The Cardinals made the playoffs 5 straight seasons from 2011-2015. They went to two World Series in that span winning one. They made the LCS two more times. My team is going on 50 years as a franchise and has made the playoffs a grand total of 4 times. We literally had a website where we signed up with the promise that we would piss our pants when they broke their playoff drought.

What we're all trying to say is why the f*** are you complaining and/or losing interest about a team not going all in when they've been like at minimum a top 5 franchise of the century in terms of success and probably more like two 2 or 3?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What we're all trying to say is why the **** are you complaining and/or losing interest about a team not going all in when they've been like at minimum a top 5 franchise of the century in terms of success and probably more like two 2 or 3?

Well as I said in the original post perhaps i don't really enjoy baseball, although when i started following the sport the Cards were not really that strong of a team and I still enjoyed it.

Also, is saying that my team is good but I am still not interested in following any worse than quitting because they are bad? I pointed out the fact that they were still good to show I wasn't just giving up because they we a bad team but even though they are good I still don't have any interest in following them. I did get frustrated that i thought they could make some big moves to win but choose to stand pat.

Perhaps you view sports different than I do but when I don't care or have any emotion one way or the other I find it hard to follow. I found myself not caring if the Cards won anymore. I haven't watched a game or checked on the standings for the past two years and haven't felt like I missed anything. I don't think you should have to force yourself to watch or follow sports as a fan, that doesn't seem like fun at all.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Please tell me you didn't intentionally become a Met fan. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

To answer the OPs question: it's the most popular sport in my city. Everyone follows the Mets/Yankees closely. My friends and I find it interesting when breaking down pitcher/batter match-ups, but I also think it's popular here because of the minimal amount of equipment needed to play and how it was a game that the immigrants to NYC could play and pass it on to their kids/grandchildren. Full disclosure: I'm a long suffering Mets fan, but I wouldn't change that. Yankee hatred runs deep! My Grandfather, upon immigrating to Brooklyn became a Dodger fan and when they left he adopted the Mets when they added them.
Nah lol. I just like Syndergaard and deGrom. But I'm a Jays fan lol

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
When I moved to Phoenix in 1992, we had Spring Training & the Phoenix Firebirds Class AAA baseball. I just love baseball as that sport for summer. When the D-Backs formed, I know the team would be my MLB team. I just love the intricacies of baseball and being a math guru (arithmetics has slipped, but stats embedded in the sport, especially Sabermetrics, is just damn fun), I could get lost in the stats page for days.

Edit: some clarification

Reactions: Mittelstadt

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Baseball is a great sport. All kinds of interesting things going on if you follow it closely. A more interesting sport than hockey imo, although hockey is more fun to play.

Reactions: Belieber

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well as I said in the original post perhaps i don't really enjoy baseball, although when i started following the sport the Cards were not really that strong of a team and I still enjoyed it.

Also, is saying that my team is good but I am still not interested in following any worse than quitting because they are bad? I pointed out the fact that they were still good to show I wasn't just giving up because they we a bad team but even though they are good I still don't have any interest in following them. I did get frustrated that i thought they could make some big moves to win but choose to stand pat.

Perhaps you view sports different than I do but when I don't care or have any emotion one way or the other I find it hard to follow. I found myself not caring if the Cards won anymore. I haven't watched a game or checked on the standings for the past two years and haven't felt like I missed anything. I don't think you should have to force yourself to watch or follow sports as a fan, that doesn't seem like fun at all.

I'm a Mariners and Canucks fan, you think I enjoy watching bad teams? No. I enjoy watching this sport though, regardless of if they are good or not. You clearly just don't enjoy sports, which is fine, but it's clearly not the Cardinals that are the issue.

Feb 24, 2017
Baseball is only my 4th favourite sport, behind lacrosse, hockey, and football(not sure of the order between hockey and football. Lacrosse is my favourite). But as far as going to a live game? Baseball is my favourite. And I consider it the sport most enhanced by the live experience.

Reactions: Mittelstadt

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm a Mariners and Canucks fan, you think I enjoy watching bad teams? No. I enjoy watching this sport though, regardless of if they are good or not. You clearly just don't enjoy sports, which is fine, but it's clearly not the Cardinals that are the issue.

Because I stopped following baseball I now clearly don't enjoy sports?

That seems like a crazy leap based on nothing.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Because I stopped following baseball I now clearly don't enjoy sports?

That seems like a crazy leap based on nothing.

Well if your favourite hockey team has been good recently I would assume you don’t like hockey either.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Before we go too far afield here - we're 90 replies in and OP hasn't returned to engage on his post. I think that's a good sign we can shut this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->