Why are WiiU systems new/used/refurbished so expensive?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I must admit, the cost is way more than they are worth IMHO. Apparently the original Wii was one of the highest selling game systems, but WiiU didn't do so hot. Why so pricey for new/used/refurbished ?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
My guess is because they didn't make many (they didn't sell well) and the game pads for them were never sold individually. So if you break one and cant get it repaired you have to buy a whole new system to get one.

Its the reason I am holding on to my Wii U. MIGHT be a good investment.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
My guess is because they didn't make many (they didn't sell well) and the game pads for them were never sold individually. So if you break one and cant get it repaired you have to buy a whole new system to get one.

Its the reason I am holding on to my Wii U. MIGHT be a good investment.

Are you a Switch owner now? Do you still play the Wii U from time to time?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Are you a Switch owner now? Do you still play the Wii U from time to time?
I do own a Switch now. I haven't played it much since I beat Mario and Zelda, super excited for the new Metroid and a few other games coming out though. I cant remember the last time I played my WiiU honestly lol.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I do own a Switch now. I haven't played it much since I beat Mario and Zelda, super excited for the new Metroid and a few other games coming out though. I cant remember the last time I played my WiiU honestly lol.

I borrowed a Wii years ago from a family member. After a year they missed it and asked for it back. I found a great deal on one through Craigslist. I love it, but now I am interested in the WiiU because of Its' backwards compatibility. Also because there are many used / new WiiU games still out there. I imagine there are many people like you out there who are Switch users, but are still hanging on to their Wii U.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I borrowed a Wii years ago from a family member. After a year they missed it and asked for it back. I found a great deal on one through Craigslist. I love it, but now I am interested in the WiiU because of Its' backwards compatibility. Also because there are many used / new WiiU games still out there. I imagine there are many people like you out there who are Switch users, but are still hanging on to their Wii U.
Well if you find a Wii U and really want one I think its a good thing to have because like you said its backwards compatible plus you can play Zelda: Breath of the Wild!

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I must admit, the cost is way more than they are worth IMHO. Apparently the original Wii was one of the highest selling game systems, but WiiU didn't do so hot. Why so pricey for new/used/refurbished ?

You answered your own question.

Wii U didn't sell well. Therefore there are not so many out there to be re-sold. Plus Nintendo owners have always tended to hold onto their consoles rather than trading them in. All this adds up to limited supply of consoles on the secondhand market. Limited supply = rare = higher price.

The cost isn't "more than they are worth." The cost is EXACTLY what they are worth, since the only thing setting the price now are the forces of supply and demand. The console is not for sale new anymore, so Nintendo no longer sets the price.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
By the way, even though I am planning on getting a Switch this year, I intend to hold onto the Wii U.

Main reason is backwards compatibility. I have a ton of Wii games, plus lots of Virtual Console and WiiWare games, that I don't want to lose.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
By the way, even though I am planning on getting a Switch this year, I intend to hold onto the Wii U.

Main reason is backwards compatibility. I have a ton of Wii games, plus lots of Virtual Console and WiiWare games, that I don't want to lose.

I ended up forking out for a Wii U. I am sure I could have got it for a better price, but I trust the seller to test well and stand behind his consoles.

I'm enjoying it. I love Mario Kart 8 and playing on line vs the world.

Suggestions to other good Wii U games would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I ended up forking out for a Wii U. I am sure I could have got it for a better price, but I trust the seller to test well and stand behind his consoles.

I loved the Rayman games.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
More good suggestions. Thanks.

I haven't seen any NHL games. I'm assuming none were made for the Wii U. Am I wrong on that ?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

I haven't seen any NHL games. I'm assuming none were made for the Wii U. Am I wrong on that ?

No NHL games were released for the WiiU. Heck they haven't even released any for the Switch which is measurably more successful. I'm pretty sure the servers are no longer active for it either so games like Splatoon and Mario Maker that rely on online wouldn't be particularily good.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Yeah I'll probably check some of those out. Looks like 2010, 2011, NHL Slapshot was the last few titles for the Wii.

Slap shot was pretty fun to play with friends back in the day

Not sure if it holds up but me and my buddies in college played it all the time. Motion controls were kinda fun

Reactions: Beau Knows

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Slap shot was pretty fun to play with friends back in the day

Not sure if it holds up but me and my buddies in college played it all the time. Motion controls were kinda fun

If it was fun then, it's probably still fun today. I'll check it out

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Now that we are in the topic:

Is it common for the sensor bar to crap out on the original Wii?

Mine seems to not pick up my remotes. I looked on my camera to see if the lights are out on both sides, but they aren't. I am still not ruling out a sensor bar issue.

Did any of you have your sensor bar crap out on you during your Wii's lifetime?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE is the reason I've held onto my Wii U despite it just sitting in a box for the past couple years. It's the one game on the Wii U that I want to play again that's stuck on that console.

Play a (licensed) sports game on a Nintendo console and you're gonna have a bad time. For better or worse there aren't any NHL games on the Wii U. There's backwards compatibility for games that were already bad a decade ago, but proceed at your own peril.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

I noticed recently that the Metroid Prime Trilogy is available on the Wii U eShop for only $20.

That’s a must. Three great games for a great price, and you can’t get them on Switch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad