OT: Why Are We Always Picking Up These Dead Goalies?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If only we had drafted Jesper Wallstedt instead of Boucher :facepalm:
I don't think he, or Cossa for that matter, have done enough to prove they'll be better than any of the goalies we already have in the system, goalies are voodoo, so who frigging knows...

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Well, they were not going to remove the C from the existing captain, and hand it over to Chara, he knew that, and I suspect he already knew the deal and the Captaincy, were his, in Boston….. so people can say the Senators, who offered him the exact same contract as was offered to Redden, “Alienated” him by not also handing him the C…. He knew they wouldn’t, and he was right.

I don’t know whether all the « he wanted the C » stuff is true or not.

It’s clear he wanted out and IIRC he was very clear about his displeasure with how the team treated Hossa. I’m pretty confident in the use of alienated.

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
This.

We would rather get a goalie on waivers or trade a 5th for them and hope they can be part of a tandem instead of going out and signing or trade or drafting a bonafide starter.

We need to target that guy who's clearly a starter behind another starter and caught in a numbers game, and pay a price to bring them in as I'm guaranteeing anyone with a top half of the league starter isn't getting rid of them.

Find a team that has a situation like we did with Anderson/Lehner/bishop and pay like a good prospect and a second round pick for them.

We haven't done that.

We would rather trade a 5th for a guy who was just on waivers and has only had one good season...and then we bank on them repeating that 1 good season when they gave 4-5 bad seasons to go along with that 1 good season.

We always cheap out. Always bottom of the barrel.
1708373177519.png

On the subject of going cheap, I do think we need to move on from Forsberg and bring in someone that is going to push Korpisalo to the back seat and take the net for us at least for a year or two until one of Soogard, Meri, Reidler, etc. is ready to come in (hopefully).

In looking at the CapFriendly for the UFA Goaltenders, I found this grouping of 6 Goalies, who are all in a back-up role this year, are playing very well, are around 30 y/o and all of them are making less than $2M.

Of that list, Rittich to me is the most intriguing as he was the #1 in Calgary for a couple of years and was pretty good for them. Plus has one of the best recent goalie nicknames in "Big Save Dave". Bring him in for 1 or 2 year deal on a lower salary (~$2m/year) and let him play 45-50 games.

Korpisalo is not a #1 but I think he can be effective in a #1b role where he is getting around 30-35 starts per year. At $4M per year that is a little pricy for a 1b but I think you just need a couple years of a Rittich/Korpisalo type combo and then bring in Soogard or Merilainen.

Reactions: Crosside

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chara forced his way out of Ottawa, he was offered the exact same contract as Redden…..But insisted on being named Captain of the Senators…. That was a non starter, and one split second after he became an UFA he signed with, and was named the Captain of the Bruins…… he knew Ottawa would not strip away the Captaincy and give it to him…. He had zero intention of signing in Ottawa…. And the Hossa trade may have been a motivating factor.
Chara was offered more money by Boston than Ottawa offered him.

The media report was that Ottawa offered him and Redden the same amount.

I don't know the source of the "Captain request". What was it?

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
He wasted assets on poorly identified rental targets like Peter Bondra and Mike Comrie.
Friend it's peripheral to goalies but wait a second on Comrie.

Maybe it's rose coloured glasses for 06-07, but wasn't Comrie an amazing acquisition? Kaigorodov was not reporting to the team IIRC and the relationship had soured (not sure if Muckler had a role in that). Comrie was an added PP weapon at least, another ES offensive threat at most, also allowed Fisher to move to wing. He was a little meh in the playoffs admittedly. But in general I've always viewed him as an excellent rental. Would love to hear your thoughts!!

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa

Maybe it's rose coloured glasses for 06-07, but wasn't Comrie an amazing acquisition? Kaigorodov was not reporting to the team IIRC and the relationship had soured (not sure if Muckler had a role in that). Comrie was an added PP weapon at least, another ES offensive threat at most, also allowed Fisher to move to wing. He was a little meh in the playoffs admittedly. But in general I've always viewed him as an excellent rental. Would love to hear your thoughts!!
He's definitely approaching Comrie with whatever the opposite of rose-coloured glasses is.

Comrie was a sold addition, and quite approved of at the time as I recall. There's a reason Murray went out and re-acquired him a few seasons later.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

He's definitely approaching Comrie with whatever the opposite of rose-coloured glasses is.

Comrie was a sold addition, and quite approved of at the time as I recall. There's a reason Murray went out and re-acquired him a few seasons later.

To be clear I don’t blame Muckler for trading Kaigorodov. That guy was just a bust.

My memory of Comrie is a guy who came in and played decent in a second line role and then completely disappeared in the playoffs.

Maybe the two goals in 20 playoff games left me with a sour taste.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't think he, or Cossa for that matter, have done enough to prove they'll be better than any of the goalies we already have in the system, goalies are voodoo, so who frigging knows...

It’s time that we invest some high end assets into the goaltending . I suppose Sogaard somewhat was but we can’t keep just drafting late round guys and throwing stupid money at backups to be our #1.

We need a legit guy something we’ve only had a couple of times

Reactions: TallyHo

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Chara was offered more money by Boston than Ottawa offered him.

The media report was that Ottawa offered him and Redden the same amount.

I don't know the source of the "Captain request". What was it?

well Boston could not offer him anything, until he became an UFA, on July 1st…. So well before he became an UFA, he and Redden were offered Identical contracts…. Redden accepted, and Chara did not…….. and the request to be named Captain, if he were to resign with Ottawa, was covered, in the local media (TSN1200) in the aftermath of him leaving at the stroke of midnight to become the Captain of the Bruins…. Pretty sure Ottawa knew he wanted out, and with former assistant GM Peter Chiarelli being named the GM in Boston the writing was on the wall, and there was little if no communication between the Senators and Chara in the week leading up to July 1st.

Reactions: Cosmix

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
The team hasn't had a legit starter that was drafted and developed by the team since Lalime, that's insane

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
well Boston could not offer him anything, until he became an UFA, on July 1st…. So well before he became an UFA, he and Redden were offered Identical contracts…. Redden accepted, and Chara did not…….. and the request to be named Captain, if he were to resign with Ottawa, was covered, in the local media (TSN1200) in the aftermath of him leaving at the stroke of midnight to become the Captain of the Bruins…. Pretty sure Ottawa knew he wanted out, and with former assistant GM Peter Chiarelli being named the GM in Boston the writing was on the wall, and there was little if no communication between the Senators and Chara in the week leading up to July 1st.
You always seem like you're a stickler for the rules. But, have you ever wondered why player trades signings are consummated within a minute of two of the opening of Free Agency? Man these GMs must be fast workers to get things done so quickly.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You always seem like you're a stickler for the rules. But, have you ever wondered why player trades are consummated within a minute of two of the opening of Free Agency? Man these GMs must be fast workers to get things done so quickly.

UFAs don’t need to be traded… they sign with the team, and there is no compensation….because they’re UFAs

IMG_3433.gif

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Lalime wasn't drafted or developed by the Sens
1708465667970.png

Here are the top 10 in Wins for Sens Goalies all time.
Only 3 of these Goalies were actually drafted by the Sens; Emery, Elliott & Lehner.

In over 30 years of being in existence, the highest total career wins by a Sens drafted Goalie is 71 career wins. It's truly amazing how bad that is.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
UFAs don’t need to be traded… they sign with the team, and there is no compensation….because they’re UFAs

View attachment 822807
Yes, the word "trades" was misplaced which you obviously knew. So, back to the question, how do these UFA signings happen a minute after the Free Agency period commences if nobody is allowed to do anything before the Free Agency period officially starts?

Last edited:
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad