Why are sports the no fun zone? (re:NSH/LV)

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I already know most people are going to say this is dumb, who cares, overreaction etc., but this stuff bothers me tbh.

So the scene tonight: Nashville vs Las Vegas, game goes to a shootout. On one team you have P.K Subban, and in goal on the other team, his brother Malcolm. Laviolette, you know what to do right? SIX Nashville shooters, none of them P.K. Surely it wasn't lost on him that the entire arena would have loved to have watched a brother vs brother showdown. It almost would've had to have been a conscious effort not to pick him, knowing it's what everyone wanted. It's not like P.K is a scrub, he's a top 3 player on the team skill-wise. But no, Mr. Serious has to consult his army of advanced stats analysts and make a very meticulous decision because hockey is life or death and making the fans happy is not in the equation.

We see this all across sports. I get that GM's and coaches want to win and not get fired, but these people are multi-millionaires because, and only because, fans find sports entertaining. The sacrosanct principal of sports should be entertaining the customers #1, winning #2.

Raptors fans will remember when Norm Powell was crucified for throwing down a huge windmill at the end of a blowout even though it brought everyone to their feet

Bautista and his bat flip was sacrilegious even though it's now an iconic moment in Toronto sports history.

NFL players can't celebrate anymore, the list goes on.

Sports are an entertainment industry, entertain us!

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Somebody probably would've blocked his shot. He was trying to win a game, that would make the fans happier than Subban going against his brother.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I always defend my team's coaches whenever they pick a weird player for the shootout because it seems like the easiest thing to figure out in practice. Like, maybe PK's really terrible at it.

I was watching the stream though - I wanted to see it and I really expected to see it, especially in front of a home crowd.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Because fans that nitpick tiny details, like such a situation, really focus more negatively on the minor facets of what they deem not optimal to win. Anything not the "right" line combo or D pairing gets fans mad, media saying negative things, and other nonsensical reactions.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Laviolette is trying to win games to keep his job. If you want to make this about entertainment instead winning, then lobby to stop counting wins and losses and make this an exhibition.

And the competitive nature of sports is the fun part.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Laviolette is trying to win games to keep his job. If you want to make this about entertainment instead winning, then lobby to stop counting wins and losses and make this an exhibition.

And the competitive nature of sports is the fun part.
It wouldn't be entertaining if there were no wins or losses though.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I already know most people are going to say this is dumb, who cares, overreaction etc., but this stuff bothers me tbh.

So the scene tonight: Nashville vs Las Vegas, game goes to a shootout. On one team you have P.K Subban, and in goal on the other team, his brother Malcolm. Laviolette, you know what to do right? SIX Nashville shooters, none of them P.K. Surely it wasn't lost on him that the entire arena would have loved to have watched a brother vs brother showdown. It almost would've had to have been a conscious effort not to pick him, knowing it's what everyone wanted. It's not like P.K is a scrub, he's a top 3 player on the team skill-wise. But no, Mr. Serious has to consult his army of advanced stats analysts and make a very meticulous decision because hockey is life or death and making the fans happy is not in the equation.

We see this all across sports. I get that GM's and coaches want to win and not get fired, but these people are multi-millionaires because, and only because, fans find sports entertaining. The sacrosanct principal of sports should be entertaining the customers #1, winning #2.

Raptors fans will remember when Norm Powell was crucified for throwing down a huge windmill at the end of a blowout even though it brought everyone to their feet

Bautista and his bat flip was sacrilegious even though it's now an iconic moment in Toronto sports history.

NFL players can't celebrate anymore, the list goes on.

Sports are an entertainment industry, entertain us!
I disagree. The principle of sports is friendly competition. If people like it, it's nice. But it's not the goal of any sport.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
All Star game is a wonderful venue for that sort of thing.

I want my team to win and get best seeding in playoffs.

I'd like to see the Sedin twins traded to separate teams and fight. Other than that I couldn't care less about this sort of thing.

Laviolette is a good coach who took his team to Finals. Can't believe people complaining about him or this decision.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Sucking at shootouts notwithstanding, it wouldn’t surprise me if Pernell declined the opportunity to deprive his brother of a win.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Sucking at shootouts notwithstanding, it wouldn’t surprise me if Pernell declined the opportunity to deprive his brother of a win.

Then Pernell needs to get his crap together. This isnt house league.. This is Pro. Id imagine he just wasnt picked because hes historically terrible.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
There's the Occam's Razor answer for you, OP, rather than a grand conspiracy to deprive fans of enjoyment.

But it doesn't really preclude my point, which is that these people are taking themselves too seriously when it's an entertainment business. Lavi was handed a unique opportunity on a silver platter, 16,000 people wanted to see it, and he makes himself bigger than the moment by trying to think too hard.

We are talking about a relatively meaningless regular season game in mid-December, both teams high in the standings, both have already secured a point. And again, I'm not suggesting he let a 7 year old from the make-a-wish foundation take the shot, I'm saying he should have let a top 30 hockey player on planet earth shoot against his brother instead of Craig Smith. It feeds into a bigger narrative of coaches depriving the paying fans. How about resting star players in the NHL/NBA for example. You pay money for a ticket and then Gregg Popovich rests all his stars. Putting 4th line scrubs out on the PP when it's a 5-1 game etc. From the moment the puck drops until the final whistle goes, paying fans deserve their moneys worth.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I don't even remember the last time Subban was used in a shootout. I understand Laviolette wanting to win the game and going for players who do this regularly. That being said, I think Subban would have been shooter #7 or 8. Just my feeling. He did score a few highlight reel goals on a breakaway in the past. I guess Malcolm knows his moves though

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
what is P.K.s shootout percentage? i ask you that in all honesty, because i have no idea.

PK Subban has had 4 career shootout chances and not scored on any of them.

The coach is there to win games, not create gimmicky moments on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad