Why are so many of you jumping off the bandwagon and breaking your knees?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looking around the bandwagon I see many of you have broken your knees jumping.

4 games in and it is like it is game 81 and we are in last place.

We caught teams by surprise last year and this year they saw us coming.

4 games in and too many people are freaking out

my only concern is Benning and Nurse not upping their game.

We need to add a vet to the top 4--other than that I preach patience

Reactions: GoldenTicket

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
negativity spreads quick because of our recent history; we know how bad it can get.

my knees are fine; my heart just pains a little. it makes it hard to watch when they can't get any pressure going. shot totals are misleading

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The team is playing like garbage and as fans we are allowed to point out why and what we'd like to see from them to turn things around. That isn't jumping off the bandwagon. If anything that goes to show you the passion we have. If we didn't care, we wouldn't on here and fans wouldn't be selling out every night.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nurse could become the nexrt Chris Pronger, and there would still be his critics on here quick to rush him out.
:laugh: JTS claims to start a "positive"thread, but follows up with a concern about Nurse?...he's been better than Klefbom and Larsson so far....that should be your concern.

Reactions: snipes

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I wouldn't call it jumping off the bandwagon. I'm just so pissed that Chiarelli didn't do anything in the slightest to improve this team in the off-season. Hoping that certain players will elevate their game like they did last year or bringing in players that were successful once upon a time is not smart.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Nobodies jumping off the wagon but if you want to pretend everything is sunshine and rainbows and the team will just magically turn it around, that’s on you bud. Outside of 1 game, we’ve looked terrible. Bad secondary scoring, bad defense, horrible goaltending. They will hopefully turn it around but there’s nothing wrong with venting about the ####show we’re currently watching.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It’s game 4 and we have some injuries. People thought we were gonna come out swinging right out the gates, but it hasn’t happened so I get the disappointment. But some posters here take it to a whole different level. Let the team play a bit. There’s a whole lot of hockey to come guys. I’m saying if by game 10 they still look like this, then we start to panic.

I’m giving them a chance before I start to crucify anyone.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Any thread made right now that is trying to criticize Nurse for his play so far this season is a joke of a thread. Nurse has been very good so far, Nuge has been pretty good too, the rest of the team not so much.

I agree that the sky isn't falling and people are being fanatics and way overreacting though.

I think the biggest issue that the people reacting like the sky has fallen is that two of the players they most like to trash routinely have been two of the only players pulling their weight so far.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They did lose a couple of useful players: Sekera, Eberle, and Pouliot.
But it seems the issue is more about how they are playing as a team rather than personnel. Adding another player or 2 probably won't change things all that much. It's only 4 games, though they have a lot of work to do by the look of it. But well, 2 wins in the next 2 games and everybody will be back on the bandwaggon. Lots of passengers on the team now.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That's exactly what I said. Just keep putting words into my mouth.
so then what's your point? Chia didn't get one so now the Oilers have to learn to tighen up defensively with the players they have cause I doubt their record is much different if they had a Franson in the line-up
so continuing to keep repeating the same thing in every thread isn't going to change that fact

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Any thread made right now that is trying to criticize Nurse for his play so far this season is a joke of a thread. Nurse has been very good so far
Shows how clueless and set in their agendas some fans can be.
Sometimes I honestly wonder if he even watches the games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so then what's your point? Chia didn't get one so now the Oilers have to learn to tighen up defensively with the players they have cause I doubt their record is much different if they had a Franson in the line-up
so continuing to keep repeating the same thing in every thread isn't going to change that fact
It's more than just "adding a player", it's not forcing Benning to play a role he's not ready for. Think of our defense last year if Chiarelli didn't acquire Larsson. We'd have to play either Nurse or Benning in the #4 spot along with Russell, who's suddenly our #3.

I'm thinking about the big picture here. This team needs upgrades if they want to go far in the playoffs and I don't think Chiarelli's off-season was ideal for what the team needed. Yes you need some internal growth and progression but it was obvious that not every player would progress the same way at the same rate. It's easy to say "Oh well he'll just get someone at the deadline" and that's all fine and good but you need to be a playoff position at that time to add pieces. Yes it's too early to say they'll miss but it's never too early to identify holes in the lineup.

The thing that bothers me isn't even the fact they're losing. Losses will happen, but they're getting crushed by teams they should be beating or at least even with. Ottawa skated through our defense like it was swiss cheese and surprise, surprise, sitting Benning didn't make things better. Quite the opposite in fact.

And the really worrying thing is that this is the EASY part of the October schedule. After the game against the Canes suddenly they're facing off against a bunch of elite teams and playoff hopefuls. If they don't pull out of this tailspin soon things could get really ugly for the Oilers.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
3 main holes on the team last year imo

A 3rd line center, as demonstrated by Desharnais aquisition

A back-up goalie

An upgrade on Russell, as the numerous stats have suggested. Except for the one Chia gave us which had him compared to Kronwall last year

If anyone of those issues has been upgraded this summer I would love to know how. The team has been modified this summer, but by no stretch upgraded. Growing pains? Maybe. But that is alot of holes to fill in an important year left to internal growth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->