Why a cap is so important to Bettman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I've just posted that on the Habs forum, but I'm just wondering if any of you guys heard something about Bettman having a 20 millions in bonuses in his contract if a salary cap is part of the new CBA. And an additionnal 5 million if players accept 53% of the revenues instead of 58%.

Learned that on CKAC 730 in Montreal from a reporter who mostly thinks he knows everything but he's rarely right about everything.

But again, could be possible. Sorry if it's old news but I don't think I saw that anywhere but I wanted to see if somebody else in the league heard that.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
$20 million? Does the league even have $20 million? I haven't heard about that but it would certainly be a shame if people at team and league offices are getting laid off and arena workers are losing their jobs, and Bettman is going to end up with $20 million in his pocket. That would be a complete embarassment.

But, no one here or anywhere for that matter has access to Bettman's contract except Bettman himself and his bosses who would not disclose that information anyway. I can't believe this would be true.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
$700k from each billionaire owner if he saves them $10mil a year and gets certainty? That would seem easily doable. Its rather common in business and govt to give performance bonuses like this. CEOs get more if they meet certain objectives. Govt ministers get perf bonuses if they can manage a file through to certain objectives.

It doesnt seem unbelievable. But it doesnt really seem all that important if it were true either.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
whitesnake said:
I've just posted that on the Habs forum, but I'm just wondering if any of you guys heard something about Bettman having a 20 millions in bonuses in his contract if a salary cap is part of the new CBA. And an additionnal 5 million if players accept 53% of the revenues instead of 58%.

Learned that on CKAC 730 in Montreal from a reporter who mostly thinks he knows everything but he's rarely right about everything.

But again, could be possible. Sorry if it's old news but I don't think I saw that anywhere but I wanted to see if somebody else in the league heard that.

The cap must be pretty important to the owners if they are prepared to pay Bettman $20m for bringing it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad