Whose Prospects/Team benefits the most from a lockout?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Chimaera, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

I'm sure this has been kind of done a bit before.

But, I'm interested in hearing who might develop more, and who is hindered the most.

I know the Caps and some of the other bottom feeders benefit the most development wise, but are there some other quality young players who are getting prime minutes in either the RSL/AHL/Juniors, that wouldn't have gotten it on their respective teams?

2. BlackJack21

BlackJack21 Registered User

Home Page:
    I would say Chicago... Cause technicly the will have a shot for Crosby if ther's a draft and IMO they would have finished ahead of the Caps, Rags, Pitts and Columbus... I think...

So if they take last year ranking to determine the draft order they will have a lotery ticket.

BJ21

3. DougKnowsBest

DougKnowsBest Registered User

Doug Maclean, the cbj gm, stated yesterdaythat one of the possiblities for the draft is that the league will averearge teams records for the past 3 years, and come up with a order to go into the lottery. However they come up with the order the cbj should be in a good spot. I can just picture either Crosby or jack johnson pulling the cbj sweater on now. When does next season start?

4. BlackJack21

Home Page:
    sounds good to me...
    The only problem is that every proposal will be partial... as this one.

BJ21

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    IMO its Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure that the Pens were looking to use guys like MAF and Whitney in the NHL before they're ready just to show that they have some talent and sell some tickets. I thought that what was done to Fleury last year (Pitt bouncing him around) was a bad call. To me prospects should spiral up instead of getting called up to early, making mistakes, and getting sent down. It just messes with a kids head to do that type of yoyo-ing.

6. West

West Registered User

Programmer Analyst
    Home Page:
    I'd say that Nashville, Buffalo, Pitsburgh and LA are benifiting the most because they're affiliates in the AHL are doing really well with alot of almost NHL ready young players in key positions.

Nashville: Timofei Shishkanov, Scottie Upshall, Ryan Suter, Brian Finley, Kevin Klein.

Buffalo: Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Miller, Daniel Paille.

Pittsburgh: Kris Beech, Colby Armstrong, Ryan Whitney, MA Fleury.

LA: Michael Cammalleri, Yanick Lehoux, Dustin Brown, Denis Grebeshkov, Tim Gleason

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  7. gb701

gb701 Registered User

Home Page:
    I suspect that the "middle" - both players and teams - benefit from the opportunity to re-position. Teams are given an opportunity under some of the scenarios (such as MacLean's musings) for expanded lottery, etc. - although I have to say that I think it is actually unlikely that any of the options he outlined would actually be supported by a majority of teams. Players who are improving benefit from added time to "shine". The risk is to players who have no where to go but down (my specific example, at risk of being flamed, is Brule), or to any player who is not improving relative to those around him while this drags on.

8. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

The Pens certainly have to be up there. They have lots of talent coming up, as has been mentioned before, and when a new CBA is signed the most likely scenerios have them picking high in the drafts. There should be two drafts btw. The Crosby draft, where is the NHL uses last season's order and the same weighted lottery the Pens have a 50/50 chance of Crosby and will get no worse than number 2. And a dispersal draft for teams over the new Cap. The Pens would absolutely pick first there as either way you look at it, finish last year or lowest under the Cap, the Pens are at the bottom.

I do not know another team that has that mix of likely a high draft pick if not Crosby, loaded system with Malkin and Maffy only the tip of what is coming up, and top of the Dispersal draft with lots to spend. Remember, rookies and first three year players will only make something like $800,000 a year max so the Pens have lots of talent coming ready to step up and can add veterans and still only spend in the low to mid-$30 million. Before I hear it, slots are coming paying for a new stadium so the Pens will be able to pay up to the Cap maximum for those players.

9. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

Though he is not in the AHL, obviously, you can add to the above the Pen's best Prospect, Malkin. He is ready to play now.

10. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Toronto benefits a lot from this lockout.

JFJ is on the road a lot with a much bigger group of scouts... and the AHL team is doing great.

11. CH Wizard

CH Wizard Guest

Kostitsyn is improving while there's a lockout.

Mikhail Grabovsky is first in points on his team.Danis is also gaining some experience.

12. Monkeypox

Monkeypox Registered User

For the Wild, PM Bouchard and Brent Burns are getting a lot more ice time than they did in Minny.

13. craig1

craig1 Registered User

Financial Manager/Scholar
    Home Page:
    Please explain how they are the only team that is helped?

14. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

I think this hurts Washington. If there was a season, they'd have a top 2 or 3 pick automatically.

Now the draft positioning is a complete question mark.

15. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

The thread title should have been:

"Sign up below to say your favorite team benefits from the lockout!"

16. Onion Boy

Onion Boy Registered User

Unemployed
    I disagree. Teams like Toronto and Detriot benefit the least since both would have had a legitimate chance at the cup this year, but with players getting older and some retiring, their chances in following years decreases.

17. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

In terms of prospects and player development, the Leafs develop quite a bit.

18. BlackJack21

Home Page:
    Thet have too...

Half of their pro team will be too old to play at the end of the lock out!!! :D

NJ21

19. borro

borro Registered User

I.T. Helpdesk
    Home Page:
    Carl you make an excellent point here. We may lose a shot at Crosby, which is huge. What will we gain?

With so many rookies and our top lines very young (Ovechkin, Semin etc.) we eliminate a year where players were going to lose and lose alot. My impression is/was we were going to be exceptionally young. This allows for more development time. It also lets us improve at a more friendly cap number. We will still be very young but maybe more ready to be competitive. We will need to add some experience. Teddy is gunshy for sure and may not add much. Minimum cap will be important to us starting back up. Our defense is not NHL caliber. This may force us to rush guys, even with an extra year (such as Green, Lepsito etc.)

20. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Having Eminger, Semin, Ovechkin, etc... in the NHL for this past season would have been a lot better for their development than having them play in Europe or the AHL.

21. borro

borro Registered User

I.T. Helpdesk
    Home Page:
    Another excellent point. Only 2/3 correct in my opinion. Eminger was not ready. He became an AHL All Star and I think will be on the team when they start up next. He needed this year. You are 100% correct on Semin and Ovechkin who need more competition. Still, an excellent point Carl! Klepis has developed nicely. Klepis was at one point 4 points behind Parise who was near the top in Rookie scoring. He has been that good. Vastly underrated by HF community. Fleischmann has taken a step back, imho. Cutta is ready also. Aulin still is not. Sutherby has become a huge question mark. Talented, but injury prone. We have got to add some veteran dmen. I see us having the cap space to do it. We have some nice dmen prospects but not NHL ready. I see us pushing Green (much like we did Eminger) He has surpassed our wildest expectations. Cutta is a solid guy. His game has really improved in quiet ways. Lepisto may get a quick shot here. Morrison already is a solid pro. We really need a Phaneuf type. Babchuck would have been perfect fit for us. Gordon, I dunno. I keep waiting for more from him. He's not a star at AHL level.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    While I have mad my Penguin prospects have benefited post, the Pens have lost a year of Lemieux and Recchi. :cry:

23. borro

borro Registered User

I.T. Helpdesk
    Home Page:
    Also Fehr may skip Portland and go straight to the league. Ouellet would develop more in DC, IF we had a good team. Werner will be really good.

24. tom_servo

tom_servo Registered User

Home Page:
    I don't see how any pool of prospects are better off than any others in this lockout. They're all in the same boat, it appears.

25. borro

borro Registered User

I.T. Helpdesk
    Home Page:
    Hey TS, is Lemieux coming back? A year of rest for his back might really help. The clock is ticking but as an example, John Riggins career was really helped by his year off. Lemieux's issues have been more health than talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.