Speculation: Who's your top 5 after the top 5

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
How is Hemsky's contract hard to trade? 2yrs @5M. This yr is basically done. So it's 1 yr @5M left.
Here are his comparables if you look it up on capgeek:

Havlat, Gionta, Ribeiro, Neal, Bergeron, Plekanec, Kesler, B Ryan, Alfredsson, E Kane, T Ruutu, Krejci, Connolly, Jeff Carter, Ma Hossa, Doan

Seems like on average you get a lot more for that kind of money, no?

stoff

Apr 19, 2007

Havlat, Gionta, Ribeiro, Neal, Bergeron, Plekanec, Kesler, B Ryan, Alfredsson, E Kane, T Ruutu, Krejci, Connolly, Jeff Carter, Ma Hossa, Doan

I would rather have Hemsky than the bolded players. Includes contract and how good the player is.

But you can't forget Hemsky was signed to 5 million because its a short term deal. Alot of these deals are long term in nature in which case Hemsky would not be getting 5 million.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
6 Hemsky
7 Gagner.... best (only) #2C option at the moment... (sad but true)
8 Hartikainen
9 Smid
10 Dubnyk... yep... we need a solid starter and I'm hoping he can become that.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I should have done a poll, but it seems Smid would win. Petry would be 2nd then Gags in third. Some die hard Hemmer fans still out there and some fans of Duby. Funny no one mentioned him that much. I, like many other, still just don't see him as a true number 1.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sometimes Dubnyk looks like an allstar goaltender.
Sometimes he looks like an AHL backup.

All in one game sometimes too..

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Dubnyk... but to say he's not a very important part of the team would be false. Khabi is done... and Bunz/Roy are nowhere near ready so Dubby becomes really the only option in net. I guess Danis is a decent backup plan if it comes to that, but the Oilers REALLY need Dubnyk to step up and prove he can be a full time starter.

That's why I say he's top 10 in importance to the team. Obviously a solid starter can steal games for you and give the forwards and dmen confidence to take chances up the ice. Dubnyk doesn't have that level in his game yet but the Oilers NEED a solid goalie back there to deliver that and we'll see if Dubnyk can up his level of play and start 50+ games if/when there is ever another NHL season.

OilFury

Nov 17, 2012
Add Smid and Jones (let Jones know if he doesn't bring it every night he's gone)

jones has been great for us and would definately earn a 6th spot he's not going anywhere :)

i dont add guys like gagner and dubnyk in my list because there is no other options so if they were traded we would have to be getting equal back to fill those spots

i have high hopes dubnyk does well as the starter when a season starts

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
In no order:

Hemsky (our only top 6 veteran forward)
Gagner (we don't have a number 2 center to replace him)
Dubnyk (only guy capable of being a legit starter on the team)
Smid (proven top 4 dman)
Petry (potential top pairing dman)

Honorable mention goes to Nick Schultz.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

And how many of those guys gave up a chance at unrestricted free agency while signing a short term deal where they carry all the risk?

Oh right none of them. Best comparable is probably Connelly but @ 4.5 a season I'd rather have Hemmer.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
hemsky
smid
hartikainen
petry
klefbom

...damn that was kind of tough. You know it's funny, the Oilers DO have some good players and are creating depth... they have some good prospects and young NHL players... hopefully they can turn things around and start to realize some of this potential, come together as a team, because as I said, they do have good players... Problem is 2C and their overall toughness/grit. But they're getting there.

The Perfect Human*

In terms of value to this team once the lockout ends...
6) Smid
7) Hemsky
8) Whitney (healthy)
9) Petry
10) Gagner/Hartikainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->