Speculation: Who's your top 5 after the top 5

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'll keep the prospects out of it because they should be kept until bust.

NHLers:
Gagner
Hemsky
Smid
Petry

Jones

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
wow.. way too much Gagner here..

Smid
Hemsky
Hartikainen
Petry
Klefbom

He's the only center in the entire organization capable of playing 2C. Smid and Petry should be ahead of him because defense but Gagner is important. More important than Hartikainen for sure.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He's the only center in the entire organization capable of playing 2C. Smid and Petry should be ahead of him because defense but Gagner is important. More important than Hartikainen for sure.

disagree..
Hartikainen with what he brings is easily in the teams' plans for when its ready to make a splash... Gagner is holding on to the #2C position until we acquire someone who really fits well..

If anything this team can use 3 more clones of Harti...

Harti-RNH-Ebs
Hall-xxx-Hemsky
Harti-Horc-Yak
Harti-Belanger-Harti

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
disagree..
Hartikainen with what he brings is easily in the teams' plans for when its ready to make a splash... Gagner is holding on to the #2C position until we acquire someone who really fits well..

If anything this team can use 3 more clones of Harti...

Harti-RNH-Ebs
Hall-xxx-Hemsky
Harti-Horc-Yak
Harti-Belanger-Harti

So you'd rather see

Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky

than

Yak-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Gagner is all the Oilers have. Unless they draft top 5 and score a 2C there is no reasonable way to expect the Oilers to replace Gagner. Meanwhile, Hartikainen wasn't even good enough to make the team last year.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Jones RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov
Smyth Horcoff Petrell
Harski/Eager Belanger Hemsky/Hordichuk

1) I think RNH/Eberle is a line with anyone on lw
2) Hall & Yak & Gagner should be fast & furious
3) Smyth Horc Petrell is a good head-to-head line
4) Looking for Belanger to own a spot here, then we have 4 centers good enough to fill their respective roles to a tee. Hemsky is still our 3rd best rw but he's not really a checking line type so he's on the 4th, his puck carrying and playmaking would be a bonus there.

With Jones, Petrell and Harski/Eager/Hordichuk in the lineup the Oilers at least have some grit all around.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I hope the lack of Hemsky on most of these top 5's have more to do with his injuries and the probability of being traded rather than questioning his skill level. If Hemsky can play a full season, when it finally do start up again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him finishing at least top 4 or even top 3 in points on the team. Skill wise i still say he's top 3 on team.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I hope the lack of Hemsky on most of these top 5's have more to do with his injuries and the probability of being traded rather than questioning his skill level. If Hemsky can play a full season, when it finally do start up again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him finishing at least top 4 or even top 3 in points on the team. Skill wise i still say he's top 3 on team.
The top 2 rw spots go to Yak and Eberle, do you move Hemsky to the 2nd line lw to get him icetime? His offense isn't even important with all the other firepower we have. We're better off using someone with size and intensity in the lw spot that's open in the top 6.

I still think his contract was a mistake, it will make him hard to trade.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
The top 2 rw spots go to Yak and Eberle, do you move Hemsky to the 2nd line lw to get him icetime? His offense isn't even important with all the other firepower we have. We're better off using someone with size and intensity in the lw spot that's open in the top 6.

I still think his contract was a mistake, it will make him hard to trade.

How is Hemsky's contract hard to trade? 2yrs @5M. This yr is basically done. So it's 1 yr @5M left.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

Personally I put Petry and Gagner above Hemsky simply due to depth on the wing. Hall, Eberle and Yakupov are very talented players that Hemsky has never had the benefit of playing with and now they are forcing him out before he gets a chance to play with them.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So you'd rather see

Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky

than

Yak-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Gagner is all the Oilers have. Unless they draft top 5 and score a 2C there is no reasonable way to expect the Oilers to replace Gagner. Meanwhile, Hartikainen wasn't even good enough to make the team last year.

Neither!.. Big picture : I would rather see Hartikainen in EDM's top 6 than Gagner.
Currently it is not possible since we have no one else to claim the #2C spot but that does not mean Gagner is the answer going forward.

OilFury

Nov 17, 2012
Yak would be playing LW

as for Gagner i dont mind him being our 2c but i dont think he`s a player needed on a hold onto list as if he`s gone we will be getting back another 2c to fill the spot...

so hard to pick 5...

Klefbom
Smid
Whitney(if he cant play like pre injury then Petry gets this spot)
Harti
Hemsky

IMO these players must stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad