Speculation: Who's your 15-16 Hurricanes break out player?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So this 2014-2015 season we saw Victor Rask crack the NHL lineup and have a pretty solid year at center for us, then we got to witness Faulk breakout and start to establish himself as a great #1 D for us.

I'd like to hear everyones guesses or opinions on who they think might break out this year. Whether they are on the roster currently or just a prospect that might crack the squad.

But my breakout prediction is Ryan Murphy. I saw a few things from him last year and I think he may be ready to take his game to another level. His offensive game is bound to break out real soon, the reason for us drafting him. He was looking pretty solid on the power play near the end of the season, his defensive positioning was also getting a lot better. I see a lot of people penciling him in our long term future as only a 3rd pairing defensemen that could step up on the power play. I think he's still going to project as a solid top 4 offensive defensemen. I think next season he will average over 20 minutes a night, get lots of power play time, and will establish himself as a legitimate top 4 defensemen which should be fairly easy with our current defense corps. He's still only 22 and history shows offensive defensemen usually take a few years to break out. Just look at a current example in Roman Josi it took him until age 24 to truly break out as a stud defensemen.

I think Murphy puts up 35-40 points this season with about 14-18 of those points coming on the power play. Watch this I'm calling it! :laugh:

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Murphy is a good choice. I don't ever expect him to be a good shot suppressor but he's already on his way to being great from a possession/production standpoint.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I like Rask for next season, though I think there will be more than one.

The only way is up, yes?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I like Rask for next season, though I think there will be more than one.

The only way is up, yes?

The Canes have a lot of potential on the team. Guys like Rask, Lindholm, and Murphy all have good potential to take huge steps into their game and propel us to the next level. So we just gotta hope.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm hoping its Jordan Staal offensively. Either he's fully justifying his contract and has turned a corner, or he gains value if they ship out Eric and he wants to bolt as well.

No need for any of the 2016 RFAs to break out yet and ask for stupid raises. Kidding but not kidding.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I don't know if he will or not, but this is a BIG year for Lindholm. If he doesn't break out, that'll be a bad sign for the team going forward.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd say it will be Phil Kessel when the Canes trade Semin and the 5th for him.

Seriously though, every time I've made a guess as something like this, I've been disappointed in the result. Even so, I'll guess Murphy. For the longest time, I had a negative view on him, but after his AHL stint last year, I saw some glimmers of hope.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't know if he will or not, but this is a BIG year for Lindholm. If he doesn't break out, that'll be a bad sign for the team going forward.

Not sure I agree with that Wally. What do you consider "breaking out"?

1st season: 9G, 21 points and looked like he didn't belong. 2nd season: 17G, 39 points and showed considerable improvement and actually looked like he belonged. So if this season, he makes only more incremental improvement and has, say 20G, and 45 points (as a 20/21 YO), you think that would be a bad sign for the team going forward? I certainly don't, and don't consider that breaking out.

I don't think he needs to break out this season, just to continue to show improvement in his overall game, even if it's modest as he's still a very young guy.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think there will be two fairly significant "break outs".

Victor Rask will continue his progression, but will add to his scoring, ending up with somethinglike 45 - 50 points centering, primarily, the 2nd line (as I think they keep Jordan and Eric together).

Secondly, I think the dark horse could be Danny Biega. I believe he wins a 3rd pairing job in camp and eventually begins to even show some of his scoring touch from college. I think he becomes part of our outstanding PK and chips is around 25 points, maybe even as part of a 2nd PP unit (not likely). He's too smart and too physical not to out work his way onto this club.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Not sure I agree with that Wally. What do you consider "breaking out"?

1st season: 9G, 21 points and looked like he didn't belong. 2nd season: 17G, 39 points and showed considerable improvement and actually looked like he belonged. So if this season, he makes only more incremental improvement and has, say 20G, and 45 points (as a 20/21 YO), you think that would be a bad sign for the team going forward? I certainly don't, and don't consider that breaking out.

I don't think he needs to break out this season, just to continue to show improvement in his overall game, even if it's modest as he's still a very young guy.

I think 21/22 tends to be where we see what we're going to be dealing with going forward. If he is 20g 45p, I think the chances of him ever being a PPG best player on the team type talent are a long shot.

I'd like to see him hit 55+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad