Who's the best player in this tournament; Crosby, Bergeron, or Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
How can we decide who is the best player *of the tournament* when the most important part of the tourney hasn't started yet?

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
AgentNaslund said:
strongly agreed. Plus Crosby is 2 years younger then Ovechkin and doing alot better. Lets see how badly Crosbly will own the tournament as a 19 year old. As a 17 year old Ovechkin was invisable. As a 17 year old, Crosby is pwning the tournament. :yo: :yo: :yo:
Your right, but this is likely Crosby's last WJC.
If there is hockey next year, his team will not release him to play.

Let's see how many goal scoring records Crosby will break at this years WJC.

He already has most powerplay goals.

Perhaps he will capture most goals by a 17 year old and most goals overall for any age.

Once again, he is proving himself to be the greatest phenom in quite some time.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
I really really hope Canada and Russia meet in the Gold Medal game, we would then finally have the Crosby/Ovechkin showdown. Imagine the entertainment, and I'm not talking about in the game, I mean on the forums.

I'm still convinced that no matter what Crosby would do in that game, no matter how many goals he scored, no matter how well he played, that it still wouldnt be enough to some of the Crosby haters out there. They'd still be making the excuses "Look at Crosby's linemates!" , "Russia is weak!!!" , "Its that damn full face shield, its got playmaking radar on it!" , blah blah blah.

Crosby's dominated every level of hockey he's ever played it, he's proved the critics wrong time and time again... And he's just going to keep doing it.

(Sidenote: Why cant people like both Ovechkin and Crosby? Why does it have to be one or the other? I like both, albeit Crosby alot more)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Sparepart said:
I really really hope Canada and Russia meet in the Gold Medal game, we would then finally have the Crosby/Ovechkin showdown. Imagine the entertainment, and I'm not talking about in the game, I mean on the forums.

I'm still convinced that no matter what Crosby would do in that game, no matter how many goals he scored, no matter how well he played, that it still wouldnt be enough to some of the Crosby haters out there. They'd still be making the excuses "Look at Crosby's linemates!" , "Russia is weak!!!" , "Its that damn full face shield, its got playmaking radar on it!" , blah blah blah.

Crosby's dominated every level of hockey he's ever played it, he's proved the critics wrong time and time again... And he's just going to keep doing it.
They should just play 1 on 1 to figure out who wins the game. Who cares about the rest of the teams, its Crosby and Ovechkin. Maybe a game of posts like in Mighty Ducks 2, when Emilio dueled the Iceland coach? :)

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
jtuzzi21 said:
They should just play 1 on 1 to figure out who wins the game. Who cares about the rest of the teams, its Crosby and Ovechkin. Maybe a game of posts like in Mighty Ducks 2, when Emilio dueled the Iceland coach? :)

lol ... Who could forget the powerful hockey nation of ... ICELAND! , Didnt the Mighty Ducks writers do any research before they choose Iceland?

I bet Crosby could score 20 goals on team Iceland, (only 15 for Alex ;) )

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I can't beleive that some people still can't give Crosby some credit. He's 17 years old, and he's one of the youngest player in his draft year. And he's already freaking awesome. While Ovechkin is good and all, Crosby is really something special.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Sparepart said:
lol ... Who could forget the powerful hockey nation of ... ICELAND! , Didnt the Mighty Ducks writers do any research before they choose Iceland?

I bet Crosby could score 20 goals on team Iceland, (only 15 for Alex ;) )
I don't think that blind chimps are very good at research, unfortunately.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Where is Crosby being given no credit? He's on everyone's top four or five lists here. It's really a judgment call on who the best has been. I guess it depends which games you've seen. I live in NY and we don't get TSN. So, I haven't seen Crosby or Bergeron once.

I have seen two highly entertaining games featuring the US against Russia and Switzerland.

Most impressive players have been:

Ovechkin
Malkin
Shirokov
Stafford
Stanescu

It's kind of hard to say who the best player is when I haven't seen everyone.

If I was going on stats, I might say Bergeron because I know what he can do at the NHL level. And he's playing center on that line. He's already one of the best steals ever by Boston in 2003 (2nd round). And he has as many pts as Crosby if not one more thus far.

But how do we know a guy like Olesz shouldn't be included? Doesn't he have quite a few pts for the Czechs?

Let's see how the tournament finishes before we pick the best player.

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Yeah, Crosby is brilliant. I mean there's no way anyone else could've scored the goals he has scored in this tournament. Magnificent, absolutely magnificent. No one else in the world can score like that. I mean NO ONE ELSE. Absolutely no one.

Except about anyone who has ever held a stick for over 20 minutes.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
tommi462 said:
Yeah, Crosby is brilliant. I mean there's no way anyone else could've scored the goals he has scored in this tournament. Magnificent, absolutely magnificent. No one else in the world can score like that. I mean NO ONE ELSE. Absolutely no one.

Except about anyone who has ever held a stick for over 20 minutes.

So how come everyone doesn't have six goals? I'm really looking forward to hearing you explain that to us all.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Don_Cherry said:
So how come everyone doesn't have six goals? I'm really looking forward to hearing you explain that to us all.

I was looking forward to the first idiot asking.

Because they don't play in that position, in that line with Bergeron, most players don't even play in that team.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Read what you've posted, look up 'logic' and tell me now why it is ironic that you call me an idiot.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Don_Cherry said:
Read what you've posted, look up 'logic' and tell me now why it is ironic that you call me an idiot.

So it's not logical that it's easy (not requiring any skill) to score from those passes, in a team that would dominate the tournament even without Crosby.

I'm not saying that he sucks, I'm saying that he hasn't demonstarted anything worth the hype yet. Same kinda goals that my friend used to score when he played, and he was the worst skater in the whole team and one of the worst players anyway. Yet he scored the most, because he was always there and got the perfect pass and tapped it in.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
tommi462 said:
I was looking forward to the first idiot asking.

Because they don't play in that position, in that line with Bergeron, most players don't even play in that team.

You of all people have no right calling someone else an idiot.

Crosby did not score 6 goals by accident. Many of his goals are a direct result of Crosby's hard work and his hockey sense to get into the scoring positions (and shake off defenders). If scoring were so easy then Canada would be winning games by 40 goals.

Some of you people are unbelievable, your trying to give Bergeron all the credit. Corey Perry is also on Bergeron's line, why isnt Perry scoring? :lol :lol :lol

Get a clue.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Sparepart said:
Some of you people are unbelievable, your trying to give Bergeron all the credit. Corey Perry is also on Bergeron's line, why isnt Perry scoring? :lol :lol :lol

Bergeron hates him and is not passing to him, obviously.

And I'm not giving Bergeron all the credit, I'm giving the whole team the credit.

The hype is just not deserved.

Comparing him to Ovechkin, who plays in an inferior team and in an inferior line and against better opponents is enough reason to call anyone an idiot.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
tommi462 said:
So it's not logical that it's easy (not requiring any skill) to score from those passes, in a team that would dominate the tournament even without Crosby.

I'm not saying that he sucks, I'm saying that he hasn't demonstarted anything worth the hype yet. Same kinda goals that my friend used to score when he played, and he was the worst skater in the whole team and one of the worst players anyway. Yet he scored the most, because he was always there and got the perfect pass and tapped it in.

I'll give you credit for one thing, you are awfully brave. Everything that has happened, the plays, the numbers, etc. heavily supports the arguement against you. You can make all the excuses you want, but his numbers alone are enough to make a mockery out of you - but I'll go easy.

His first goal against Sweden was the most skillfull goal I've seen this tournament. His goal against Slovakia where he passed it out front to Perry, went around the net and then reached out to deflect it over the goalie was pure skill. His second goal tonight took great skill. I can't even understand how you can convince yourself that the goals are all a product of his linemates. He thinks the game on a higher level. He knows where to distribute the puck and where to retreat to get it back in dangerous area.

Having said all that, now I'll tell you why you are really, glaringly wrong.

Crosby's best work hasn't been on the scoreboard. His one on one play, his battles along the boards and his strength on the puck are better than anyone I've seen so far. I've watched three games and have yet to see him lose a battle for a lose puck. He wins the battles every single time and turns the puck over with his brilliant body positioning and strength down low. For you to say he hasn't lived up to any of the hype proves you haven't watched a minute of his action. He's all over the place, winning loose pucks and putting himself in a position to come out of every battle with it. That's what wins hockey games.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
tommi462 said:
Comparing him to Ovechkin, who plays in an inferior team and in an inferior line and against better opponents is enough reason to call anyone an idiot.

Because he is two years younger and every bit as dominant? Wow. Get a clue buddy.

I'm done, you have won this arguement for me.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
tommi462 said:
The hype is just not deserved.

If the hype is not deserved, than you sir are not easily impressed. He's 17 years old! anyways...

All I can say is, wait until the opponents get tougher and watch how well Crosby continues to play. But hey, Crosby could choke in the tougher games... and you could be right. But I highly doubt it.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Don_Cherry said:
Crosby's best work hasn't been on the scoreboard.

Yes, but that was not the point here. You people here were the one's going. "OMG He's got 6 goals, he's the next Jesus Christ PLZ". All I'm saying is, those goals were not that special. His other actions might be, but my whole point was all along to prove to people that scoring does not make a player.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Sparepart said:
All I can say is, wait until the opponents get tougher and watch how well Crosby continues to play. But hey, Crosby could choke in the tougher games... and you could be right. But I highly doubt it.

That is what I'm waiting for, and I hope everyone would do the same before even arguing.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
AgentNaslund said:
strongly agreed. Plus Crosby is 2 years younger then Ovechkin and doing alot better. Lets see how badly Crosbly will own the tournament as a 19 year old. As a 17 year old Ovechkin was invisable. As a 17 year old, Crosby is pwning the tournament. :yo: :yo: :yo:

Ovechkin was invisible as a 17 yr old? Umm, you sure?

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
AgentNaslund said:
As a 17 year old Ovechkin was invisable.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So you're saying, that Ovechkin (who played with worse linemates, and in a team, that was nowhere near as dominant as team Canada this year) was invisible. I wonder how he scored 6+1=7 points then. Tied for the best goal scorer in that tournament if I remember correctly.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Diaboli said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So you're saying, that Ovechkin (who played with worse linemates, and in a team, that was nowhere near as dominant as team Canada this year) was invisible. I wonder how he scored 6+1=7 points then. Tied for the best goal scorer in that tournament if I remember correctly.

Were those his stats? That is pretty good. and his team was very talented that year.

Impressive also that Crosby has those exact stats half way through his 17 year old tournament.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Don_Cherry said:
Were those his stats? That is pretty good. and his team was very talented that year.

Impressive also that Crosby has those exact stats half way through his 17 year old tournament.

His team was talented that year. I didn't say that. All that my poster says about that, is that his team was worse than this years Team Canada. Do you consider that to be a knock? Don't you think this years Team Canada is very good, allthough the goaltending isn't that impressive, it doesn't affect dominence on ice, now does it.

I haven't put down Crosby in any poster. Not in my last post either. Did I? I merely showed AgentNaslund via stats how invisible Ovechkin was in the 2003 WJC, did I not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->