Speculation: Who's our 30?

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Per a report yesterday, NHL teams will be allowed to bring 30 guys to camp, and 28 to the Hub.

So who do we take?

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Beauvillier - Nelson - Bailey
Del Colle - Pageau - Brassard
Martin - Cizikis - Clutterbuck
Komarov
Ladd
Kuhnhackl
Bellows
Johnston

Pelech- Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk
Green
Hickey
Dobson
Aho

Varlamov
Greiss
Gibson

I was tempted to take a fourth goalie in Skarek, and I had to really battle between Johnston and Wahlstrom, but otherwise the choices felt pretty easy.

Last edited:

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Per a report yesterday, NHL teams will be allowed to bring 30 guys to camp, and 28 to the Hub.

So who do we take?

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Komarov
Ladd
Kuhnhackl
Bellows
Johnston

Pelech- Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk
Green
Hickey
Dobson
Aho

Varlamov
Greiss
Gibson

I was tempted to take a fourth goalie is Skarek, and I had to really battle between Johnston and Wahlstrom, but otherwise the choices felt pretty easy.

It looks good to me although if the NHL reversed the rule and Sorokin is eligible he will definitely be with the team

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

So who do we take?

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Komarov
Ladd
Kuhnhackl
Bellows
Johnston

Pelech- Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk
Green
Hickey
Dobson
Aho

Varlamov
Greiss
Gibson

I was tempted to take a fourth goalie in Skarek, and I had to really battle between Johnston and Wahlstrom, but otherwise the choices felt pretty easy.

I think Johonston will get taken, he's been a good soldier.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Who do think is out then?

Ladd, Bellows, or Kuhnhackl. I think Kuhnhackl loses value in an expanded roster because he's a swiss army knife but there would be other players ready to fill in those roles he would normally. Like, if a fourth liner goes down Johnston can fill in there. If a top 6 guy goes down Ladd or Bellows moves in. Kuhnhackl isn't so much better than anyone else that it requires him be carried. We'd need to have a lof of injuries before I even considered putting him into the lineup. We'll see if anyone gets injured in training camp though. Did the report state that it's 30 players total or are teams allowed to carry more goalies and exceed that number? I had heard weeks ago they were considering not capping the goalies at all.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

So who do we take?

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Komarov
Ladd
Kuhnhackl
Bellows
Johnston

Pelech- Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk
Green
Hickey
Dobson
Aho

Varlamov
Greiss
Gibson

Aren't teams allowed an unlimited number of under contract goalies?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Johonston will get taken, he's been a good soldier.
Will teams be allowed to re-jigger the roster as they advance to the next round?

With an eye towards playing the Capitals down the line Johnston will definitely be one of the 28.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Ladd, Bellows, or Kuhnhackl. I think Kuhnhackl loses value in an expanded roster because he's a swiss army knife but there would be other players ready to fill in those roles he would normally. Like, if a fourth liner goes down Johnston can fill in there. If a top 6 guy goes down Ladd or Bellows moves in. Kuhnhackl isn't so much better than anyone else that it requires him be carried. We'd need to have a lof of injuries before I even considered putting him into the lineup. We'll see if anyone gets injured in training camp though. Did the report state that it's 30 players total or are teams allowed to carry more goalies and exceed that number? I had heard weeks ago they were considering not capping the goalies at all.

I've heard the unlimited goalies thing, but when theres limited living space, I would imagine you have to set some rules.

I think Bellows might have an edge over Johnston, because he has the size you'd need on the fourth line, as well as the ability to slot in higher in the lineup, which is the kind of versatility you would need with a limited roster. Kuhnhackl has similar versatility. I like Johnston, and think he's more thn a bruiser, but I think his offense is more limited and his defensive game isn't a strength either.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
There is no way Ladd is going to be out. Honestly, given our pathetic options, he should be starting on the third line with Pageau and Bailey or Brassard.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

So who do we take?

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Komarov
Ladd
Kuhnhackl
Bellows
Johnston

Pelech- Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk
Green
Hickey
Dobson
Aho

Varlamov
Greiss
Gibson

I could see Johnston over Ladd or Bellows. Otherwise, it looks good to me.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

So who do we take?

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Komarov
Ladd
Kuhnhackl
Bellows
Johnston

Pelech- Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk
Green
Hickey
Dobson
Aho

Varlamov
Greiss
Gibson

I’d take Koivula over Ladd and Bellows.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Koivula needs to be one of the 28/30 just because of the center ice position. I'd be floored if they didn't take him or preferred Leo at center as a backup and wanted a winger over Koivula.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm not even sure Dal Colle gets in before Johnson. Maybe Ladd or Leo on the third line.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I read somewhere that the team gets 'unlimited goalies'. Is there a concrete source that has the definite parameters around the 28/30? Does it include goalies?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad