Who's better then Brule right now?

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
His time will be limited due to Crosby? What ? Because he is not a defensive liability - he will play till he can't catch a breath. HiS PK will just give him more points and on the PP he can play the point and the middle. 85 points would be barely palletable. 95 I can live with but 106 to beat AO will be the measuring stick for him personally. Everything I heard about this guy is (he is the ultimate competitor} so to let Sasha beat him will not sit well with Zhenja.

His time is limited, becuase Crosby is a Center, and Malkin is a Center. They wont be playing on the same line together. Crosby is still the more offensively talented player, and i believe will always be, therefore he will first of all get more minutes Even stregth than Crosby.

And to think his PK time will give him more points? Please... Hes not going to score that much on the PK, he might get the odd offensive chance but it wont improve his numbers in any way becuase it takes away from his even stregth time. Marian hossa and Matt Stajan led the leauge in Short handed points last year with 8...

And if you think Malkin will be out there non stop... thats foolish, hes not a world class defenseman who logs 25-30 minutes and plays in every situation, hes a rookie FORWARD, and wont be able to handle a workload like that.

-Lars-

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
and for anyone who says that brule was better than radulov at the mem. cup...you made your mind up before it even started. i saw EVERY SINGLE game that was televised\webcast, and Brule, while miles above everyone else he played with, was still a considerable amount behind Radulov. Brule looked dominant...I'll concede that...but Radulov was putting on a clinic.
You can also say anyone who thought Radulov was better before the Memorial Cup already made their mind up as well. I went in wanting to believe the Radulov hype and offensively I was for the most part fulfilled. His stickhandling(overkill on occasion) and good shot was what caught my eye. Brule IMO showed to have as much offensive skill just not as flashy. Brule's faceoff ability, hitting, and great 2-way game showed him to be the best player in that tournament in my eyes.

Brule I think will be the better player over their respective careers. Hes excelled at every level from averaging over a PPG in the BCHL at 15, to his WHL career and short stay in the NHL before the injuries. Speaking of injuries, I may eat my words, but I dont think Brule will suffer an injury plagued pro career. Those injuries with the BJ's were pretty freak injuries and before that he missed a total of 7 regular season games in the WHL over 2 seasons.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
When Schremp makes it as a regular with the Oilers it'll be interesting to watch Hemsky flying down the wing and crossing the blueline with Schremp still lagging behind at center ice. ;-)

I didn't say Schremp was as bas as Allison just reminds me of him. Allison is a horrible skater. Schremp is a poor skater. The proportions may not be the same but it's still in the same realm. I didn't get a chance to see any Oiler preseason games last year, how well was Schremp able to keep up?

Last time I post this before the season starts. Schremp is not a poor skater. He is an average skater. Think Weight's speed. How much did you see of him last year?

And Schremp kept up fine in camp. After his summer power skating lessons he was one of the quicker guys out there.

Transported Upstater

Last time I post this before the season starts. Schremp is not a poor skater. He is an average skater. Think Weight's speed. How much did you see of him last year?

And Schremp kept up fine in camp. After his summer power skating lessons he was one of the quicker guys out there.

Correct, but sometimes Schremp gets lazy and reverts back to his wider skating stance, which slows him down.

If he skated all the time like he did right after finishing those power skating lessons, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If brule puts up 60 points this season, I'll eat my hat.

I realize that people are making some very aggressive assumption for rookie scoring, but isn't 60 points very reachable for Brule based on his projected role and linemates? He's going to be a top 6 forward getting 16-20 minutes per night, including good PP time and playing with some combination of Nash, Zherdev, Modin or Vyborny.

I realize that there are a couple of serious haters out there, but for most people - isn't 60 points attainable? No one is projecting Crosby or AO #'s here, and no one is making assinine comments like "85 points would be barely palatable" about Brule. I just don't think that 25g & 35a is all that out whack for Brule if he can stay healthy.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Correct, but sometimes Schremp gets lazy and reverts back to his wider skating stance, which slows him down.

If he skated all the time like he did right after finishing those power skating lessons, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think that the sheer number of minutes he played in the OHL last year might have something to do with that. On the Oil he won't be playing 30+ min a game so (hopefully) he can keep his quick stride rather then the wide one.

Here's hoping :D

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To get back to the original question of this thread: Who's better than Brule right now?

If it's based on readiness and the ability to step right on to a scoring line and have the ability to produce, than not many prospects are ahead of Brule. He should be able to step into the Columbus line up and play very well on the first or second line and put up sixty or more points.

However, there are several other prospects out there who also have that ability. I'll use Patrick O'Sullivan as an example, since he continues to get the shaft around here. He's older than Brule, just as skilled if not more, and has a year of seasoning in the AHL under his belt where he was awesome. He's also penciled in on one of the top two lines in LA on a deeper team than Columbus. I can easily see him putting up more points than Brule.

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

I think that the sheer number of minutes he played in the OHL last year might have something to do with that. On the Oil he won't be playing 30+ min a game so (hopefully) he can keep his quick stride rather then the wide one.

Here's hoping :D

Good point. I like Schremp (he's a Central NY boy, after all), so I wish him the best of luck in Edmonton or whatever AHL team he goes to.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
He's also penciled in on one of the top two lines in LA on a deeper team than Columbus.

Deeper?? How so, Columbus has Fedorov, Nash, Zherdev, Modin, Vyborny who are all for sure top 6 players. Also Jaroslav Balastik who could breakout on the top 6 if given time. He is purely an offsive player, and doens't belong in the bottom 6.

LA has what... Frolov, Conroy, Cammalerri.. ?? Dustin Brown is not a proven top 6 player yet, he has shown little offensive ability in the NHL. Hes primarily a bottom 6 player right now.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
To get back to the original question of this thread: Who's better than Brule right now?

If it's based on readiness and the ability to step right on to a scoring line and have the ability to produce, than not many prospects are ahead of Brule. He should be able to step into the Columbus line up and play very well on the first or second line and put up sixty or more points.

However, there are several other prospects out there who also have that ability. I'll use Patrick O'Sullivan as an example, since he continues to get the shaft around here. He's older than Brule, just as skilled if not more, and has a year of seasoning in the AHL under his belt where he was awesome. He's also penciled in on one of the top two lines in LA on a deeper team than Columbus. I can easily see him putting up more points than Brule.
I think very highly of O'Sullivan. Under my definition of a prospect (Calder-eligible this season) he was in my top 10 prior to the draft. (I haven't done another ranking, but I'm guessing O'Sullivan would be in the 10-12 mark). I think O'Sullivan is one of the best goal-scoring centres to come along in a while. Not the greatest skater in the world, but as the old saying goes, he gets there. But he has an awesome shot. Everything you could ever want in a goal scoring centre. He'll be one of those rarities: a first-line centre who consistently gets more goals than assists.

I think O'Sullivan might be the better player now, and he might be the better player in 2007-08. But very soon, Brule will be the better player, and one of the best in the game.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Dude, have you even seen these kids play? I bet you think brule is an Avery type player.

Yes I have seen these "kids" play. I just don't believe Brule will be able to handle the NHL... Streight up, take it how ever you want to. You can berate me, lecture me, laugh at me...Hell you can even sig one of my quotes, and when he plays and if he doesn't bust prove me wrong... I support it because people need to be called out on false statements they make... But I know I will not be wrong, and he will bust. He will let you all down, and that is a sad thing.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If you check over at the Oilers board a couple of people have been watching him practice at the UofA. They say his skating is actually pretty good, and he seems to have picked up some speed. As for his attitude; come on it's not like he refused to put on the Oilers jersey on draft day. No one questioned Crosby last year when he had hissy fits.
Schremp right now > Brule. We'll have to see how far Brule is in his development when he's 20.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Deeper?? How so, Columbus has Fedorov, Nash, Zherdev, Modin, Vyborny who are all for sure top 6 players. Also Jaroslav Balastik who could breakout on the top 6 if given time. He is purely an offsive player, and doens't belong in the bottom 6.

LA has what... Frolov, Conroy, Cammalerri.. ?? Dustin Brown is not a proven top 6 player yet, he has shown little offensive ability in the NHL. Hes primarily a bottom 6 player right now.

I think top to bottom the Kings are a deeper team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think very highly of O'Sullivan. Under my definition of a prospect (Calder-eligible this season) he was in my top 10 prior to the draft. (I haven't done another ranking, but I'm guessing O'Sullivan would be in the 10-12 mark). I think O'Sullivan is one of the best goal-scoring centres to come along in a while. Not the greatest skater in the world, but as the old saying goes, he gets there. But he has an awesome shot. Everything you could ever want in a goal scoring centre. He'll be one of those rarities: a first-line centre who consistently gets more goals than assists.

I think O'Sullivan might be the better player now, and he might be the better player in 2007-08. But very soon, Brule will be the better player, and one of the best in the game.

That could very well be. All I'm saying is it can be argued that there are a few prospects who are more NHL ready than Brule, and will be more productive this year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bernier & Malkin will score more point than him next year.

I would have added Alex Radulov, but by today, I wonder where he's gonna be on that Nashville lineup...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I agree with what you said before this, but dude.....as the great John McEnroe would say "you cannot be serious"! O'Sullivan? Not a great skater? Oh my good lord, man......you musta been watching someone else....

Agreed, you might be thinking of Schremp. He is best described as "not a great skater, but he gets there"

O'Sully is a great skater. He's no Cogliano, but he is well, well, above average. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->