Who's better than Justin Pogge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
The Nemesis said:
The difference is that a lot of people who offered opinions on who's better offered them as opinions. We said "I think....." or "I like...." or something similar, instead of standing up and saying "Who's better than Thomas Greiss? Nobody!" or something equally as idiotic.

And who are you to put down our opinions? I like Greiss a lot. He doesn't get recognition because Germany had to play this year in the WJC's 2nd tier, and because the DEL isn't one of the "big 4" European leagues that get all the attention (Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep.). The fact is that in a league populated by men, including a fairly sizable pool of former and fringe NHLers, Greiss has absolutely dominated. OK, so a recent update of the stats shows that he's fallen to 2nd place in terms of GAA with a mark of 2.09, but he still leads the league with a 0.937 sv% as a 19 year old playing with MEN. I'm not going to use that as a way of claiming that Greiss is the definitive #1 goalie prospect. He's clearly not. But I honestly believe that Greiss is among a handful of goalies who deserve to be considered higher than Pogge. Others like Harding better, or Price, or Dubnyk. That's the way it is. None of us are experts, so you shouldn't ridicule our opinions if you don't agree with them. I don't see you sitting next to Bob McKenzie at the Entry Draft coverage.

If u see my list i had Greiss ahead of Pogge. :shakehead So no need to argue on that...

I was calling out on people who werent posting on topic but were just trying to piss the thread starter off.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Schneide is having a very good year! He's ripping up the NCAA, and he had a fantastic WJC. I'd rather have Schneider than Pogge.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
The Nemesis said:
I still fail to see how the expectations on the defence leading up to the tournament have any bearing on Pogge. It wouldn't matter if every poster registered for this board thought that the Canadian defence was too inexperienced and wouldn't step up. The fact that they did makes all the pre-tournament opinions irrelevant. In fact, even if the defence did falter as was feared, the predictions themselves become irrelevant once events actually unfold.

I was never saying that Pogge isn't good. I never said that he didn't deserve the recognition he got for helping lead Canada to gold. I never said he was riding the coattails of the rest of the team to victory. I was (and still am) saying that there are people who act like Pogge singlehandedly won the tournament for Canada, and that he's now vaulted to the head of the class for goalie prospects.

Canada won because the forwards scored, the defense stopped the opposition, and Pogge stopped what got through. People say that this team Canada lacked firepower, but they never failed to score less than 3 goals. No other team in the tournament did that. Only twice did Canada have to win a game by a single goal margin. Pogge didn't need to be spectacular, just solid. And solid is exactly what he was. He led the tournament in save %, but not by a ton (0.02%), and tied for 2nd in GAA He might have been the only goalie to play every single minute of the tournament for his team, but he faced less shots than goalies who played as much as 15% less of the tournament. As I said, he was very good, but it's not like he was Jesus on skates.

I'm not going to get into ranking the prospects, since I havent' seen enough of every one of them to make a good comparison. I just want to point out the fallacy of putting Pogge on the highest pedestal.

Never have I put Pogge on any pedestal other than the one on which he stands on, which is the status of a very good goalie with number 1 upside. I gave credit where credit was due and that was that. I merely stated that it was unfair to produce as argument against Pogge Canada's impenetrable defense, he did what he had to do, didn't buckle under the pressure as many would have and showed flashes of brilliance when he had to. That's what you expect from a good goalie. Nothing more, nothing less. His numbers were gimcrack, still his stock goes up in the eyes of many especially considering he was a midround draft pick.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Russian_fanatic said:
Schneide is having a very good year! He's ripping up the NCAA, and he had a fantastic WJC. I'd rather have Schneider than Pogge.

He was pretty horrible against the Ruskies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
badrobot101 said:
I was not aware that the ECHL was, as you say, a goalie dev. league. So, I wonder if many of these highly ranked guys: Pogge, Rask, Schneider, Greiss et al. will play in the ECHL first. Maybe that will cool the ardour towards Pogge if he doesn't even appear with the Marlies next year.
Goalies who played in the ECHL:
Tomas Vokoun
David Aebischer
Martin Biron
Byron Dafoe
Johan Hedberg
Olaf Kolzig
Patrick Lalime
Jamie McLennan
Adam Munro
Mike Morrison
Corey Schwab
Tim Thomas

Good goalies can come from that league. Goalies just need to play, and the ECHL allows that.

Just to throw another name out there, how about Brian Elliott? Never seen him play but he currently has the best stats in the NCAA at age 20. 18-2-2, 1.40, 0.944 Maybe some who have seen him can comment.
Good goaltender for sure, tearing up the NCAA. Another Sens prospect. Leading candidate for the Hobey Baker award right now.

captaincheat

Sep 13, 2005
Regina, Sask., Can.
You cannot compare Harding's DUB stats to Pogge's. You need to look at the team playing in front to really judge a tender. Have a look at Pogge stats when he was in PG......a bit different than they are today.
He is over rated....IMO.....I would take Harding over Pogge.

Oedi

Dec 18, 2005
Richmond Hill, ON
captaincheat said:
You cannot compare Harding's DUB stats to Pogge's. You need to look at the team playing in front to really judge a tender. Have a look at Pogge stats when he was in PG......a bit different than they are today.

its called development =o! :sarcasm:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
captaincheat said:
Although i like Pogge and im a leafs fan there arnt many guys i would take over Harding (Pogge isnt one). Harding is a very good young goalie and doesnt get the recognition he deserves.

captaincheat

Sep 13, 2005
Regina, Sask., Can.
Once Rask learns to control his rebounds a bit better, he will be great! Hopefully for all you Leaf fans he grows a bit too.....
As for Pogge and his 'developement'.....I can see your point, but I honestly don't think he has developed that much....he just plays on a great team. I'm not saying he isn't a very good tender, but I think he will turn out to be more like Trevor Kidd than Roberto Luongo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad